BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree and my comment was not a complaint I'm not saying you are saying that it was I'm just clarifying here. It's just me stating a reality but I definitely think there needs to be a much better balance 2 schedules. However achieving that balance is probably harder than it might seem because not all of those teams that are really bad this season we're really bad last season

We essentially play a schedule like the real NFL minus the 5 interconference games and the fact we play 2 from each other division instead of 4 from one and one each from the other 2. Basically this similarity to the NFL further shows we should switch to SOV and SOS before point difference.

Edited by LAOJoe

23 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

We essentially play a schedule like the real NFL minus the 5 interconference games and the fact we play 2 from each other division instead of 4 from one and one each from the other 2. Basically this similarity to the NFL further shows we should switch to SOV and SOS before point difference.

yea, thats pretty much what I modeled it after.  the top 2 teams play the top two teams from the prior season.  Only way i could figure to do it.  when it was 14 games, you play your division twice and two other complete divisions  so everyone in your division had the same exact opponents throughout the season

Edited by bcb1213

8 hours ago, LAOJoe said:

I gotta say we have way too many division games since we meet only half of the rest of the league. Flint and Death Valley miss the 4 teams at the bottom right now, Cancun and Raleigh get all 4. If we can fight for a tie for one of the last spots we'll probably lose our on point differential. Strength of Schedule or Victory should hold more weight than points for playoff spots. Getting the same record with tougher opponents is more impressive than the same record with more points scored. The NFL has a pretty unbalanced schedule and doesn't go by differential but SOV and SOS first.

Nothing can't change this year but it's a clear oversight IMO.

46 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Cancun and Raleigh also play NONE of the top 5 teams othet than Rome (not counting Raleigh themselves).  My schedule this year is not much different than it was last yeaf

2 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

We used to have a more balanced sched with 14 games but others wanted bye weeks so it got changed to 12 and here we are. Ftr I fought against the reduction for this very reason

41 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

We just suit up every week and go play who we have to play. We face some juggernauts this season IC, Camden, Cuba and DV and Flint are all better than their record indicates at this point and then Berlin was the championship team last year. I love it

cream-will.gif

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

cream-will.gif

Not really. If it's good enough for the NFL it should be good enough for us. SOV and SOS that is and the conference sample size is exactly the same too.

The team playing a softer schedule already has a benefit, all this does is that if there is a tie in the standings, then after H2H it goes to he team that played tougher opponents instead of the team that ran the score up vs softer guys. I doubt I'll ever win a matchup by close to double digits with my schedule but some teams will get the chance for as many an 4 or 5 real opportunities along with the easier Ws.

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

yea, thats pretty much what I modeled it after.  the top 2 teams play the top two teams from the prior season.  Only way i could figure to do it.  when it was 14 games, you play your division twice and two other complete divisions  so everyone in your division had the same exact opponents throughout the season

Way too unbalanced of scheds as far as strength goes. It goes beyond the 2(well now 3) record based matchups with a 17 game sched. Now it's 6 out of 12. Hardly fair. Maybe a rotating schedule would be better probably, so one year you play 6 teams and the other the other 6. That or a whole other division and then only 2 by record from the other 2 like the NFL.

I'd even be willing the help with the scheduling and standings in the future.

That reminds me, Waivers coming soon? I posted the order last night.

5 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Way too unbalanced of scheds as far as strength goes. It goes beyond the 2(well now 3) record based matchups with a 17 game sched. Now it's 6 out of 12. Hardly fair. Maybe a rotating schedule would be better probably, so one year you play 6 teams and the other the other 6. That or a whole other division and then only 2 by record from the other 2 like the NFL.

I'd even be willing the help with the scheduling and standings in the future.

That reminds me, Waivers coming soon? I posted the order last night.

yea, waivers will be up shortly, got to get to a computer to do all the stuff in the sheets so I don't accidentally mess the whole thing up...lol.

Also you'll find teams can vary wildly record wise from year to year here so things could even out as the season progresses record wise

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

yea, waivers will be up shortly, got to get to a computer to do all the stuff in the sheets so I don't accidentally mess the whole thing up...lol.

Also you'll find teams can vary wildly record wise from year to year here so things could even out as the season progresses record wise

They will slightly because some of the bad teams will play eachother and good teams play eachother but a half season of record-based scheduling doesn't need stats to show it heavily favours the few teams that made large improvements from the bottom half of a division. Anyways this is something for offseason owners meetings but I'd like to just get it out there that there are a couple better ways to do it with scheduling and also tiebreakers. 

11 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

They will slightly because some of the bad teams will play eachother and good teams play eachother but a half season of record-based scheduling doesn't need stats to show it heavily favours the few teams that made large improvements from the bottom half of a division. Anyways this is something for offseason owners meetings but I'd like to just get it out there that there are a couple better ways to do it with scheduling and also tiebreakers. 

I mean, I get what you're saying and you aren't wrong to a point, but we took our schedule on the chin last year based upon the final and playoff standings and it was heavily slanted against us. Things definitely ebb and flow in that regard. It sucks, but some years you get lucky or unlucky depending as well. I'm fine with whatever, but to be blunt, your "this year" complaints fall of deaf ears in light of the last 2 that I've had to deal with in this league. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

I mean, I get what you're saying and you aren't wrong to a point, but we took our schedule on the chin last year based upon the final and playoff standings and it was heavily slanted against us. Things definitely ebb and flow in that regard. It sucks, but some years you get lucky or unlucky depending as well. I'm fine with whatever, but to be blunt, your "this year" complaints fall of deaf ears in light of the last 2 that I've had to deal with in this league. 

You shouldn't have had to deal with those either then. If anything it shows there should be change instead of just passing it forward. Ebb and flow aren't the words I'd use. 

19 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

Jayron Kearse, welcome to Flint!

I don't know how he wasn't on a roster to start the season before his week 1 injury but he should be back soon to help the team. Screw Dallas though.

Having not really played since 2020 likely a strong reason

26 minutes ago, LAOJoe said:

You shouldn't have had to deal with those either then. If anything it shows there should be change instead of just passing it forward. Ebb and flow aren't the words I'd use. 

Like I said, I understand what you're saying and I'm FINE WITH CHANGE. Just don't expect me to feel badly for you or to sympathize. Nobody did with me for two years. It's your turn.

This idea was pitched in the off-season last year and nothing really happened, which again, I don't really care about, because that's the beauty of being a co-owner...minimal responsibility.