Miami Offense

Rgossett07

Probably a bit of all three. I want at least 2 veteran OLmen signed in FA and a weapon at WR (drafted or FA). Hopefully that’ll make things way better. Hopefully we can resign Duke Johnson and draft a RB in Day 2.

***65% OL, 25% OC, 10% #1

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rgossett07 said:

Curious what everyone else thinks. 

Is the conservative offensive approach either …

A. Tua’s limitations?

B. Offensive Line limitations?

C. OC’s philosophy and scheme?

Our offensive line is not NFL caliber. It took half the season to figure out a scheme that masks their horrendous play. Our RG, Robert Hunt is really good. The rest of the offensive line is bad. 

At one point Jesse Davis (our RT), Austin Jackson (our LG) and Liam Eichenberg (our LT) were all tied for first in the NFL with pressures allowed. 

Eichenberg is a rookie who Imo was drafted to play guard or RT, but we had to shuffle over to LT because of the struggles of Austin Jackson. 

Jackson is a second year player who we took in the first round of last year's draft. He held down the LT spot his whole rookie season, and looked really good. However, this year he's not just having a sophomore slump. It's more like a sophomore catastrophic collapse. He was moved over to LG, where he is still floundering, forcing Eichenberg to swap over LT when he's likely better served to play guard. As of right now, Jackson looks like a bust and would be best as a backup who could fill at guard or tackle when needed, but certainly not a starter. You can tell that he gets lost in his assignments often, and doesn't seem to give much of a push in the run game. We're obviously hoping that he is just having a horrible season, and maybe bounces back next season, but I'm not optimistic. I doubt he's given any other members of the Dolphins forum cause for hope either. 

Jessie Davis has been on the roster for a few years, serving as a backup also with the versatility to play guard or tackle. Whenever he's had to fill in, things got ugly. He was always the glaring weaknesses of the front 5 when he was in, but that was to be expected as a backup. This year, he found himself in starting 5. Last year, Davis showed a clear inability to a regular starter, so when Eichenberg was drafted, I personally assumed Davis would be a backup, Eichenberg would play RT and Solomon Kindley would start at LG as he did in 2020. However, Kindley underwhelmed the coaches this preseason, opening the door for Davis to crack the starting 5. Davis has played exactly as I expected this season; a total disaster. He's what I call a road cone;  he's just an inconvenience for rushers to breeze past or blow over on their way to our QB. He got Tua killed against the Bills early in the season. Where Jackson's issues seem to be mostly mental, Davis' are mostly physical. He has the slowest first drop step I've ever seen, making him easy to speed rush past. He also gets physically dominated by bull rushers, and gets dumped on his backside. If you watch the deep completion Tua threw to Mac Hollins last week, you'll see Davis get rag dolled. 

I don't really blame Eichenberg for his struggles. He's a rookie that stepped into a tough situation and is developing. We knew what Jesse Davis was when we rolled him out there as a starter. I don't blame him either. He's a result of bad roster building. Jackson is a head scratcher. His struggles could be the result of bad coaching, but his fall-off opens a lot up to speculation. Does he study film? Did he take this off-season seriously? What's his work ethic like at practice? It's not often you see a first round pick regress the way Jackson has. Surely he's at least partially responsible for his own regression. 

Anyway, this line makes running the ball darn near impossible and only gives our QB 2 seconds or less to make a throw, eliminating hope for a vertical passing game. We've had some success with masking the line's struggles with our RPO schemes and getting creative with Waddle during our win streak. 

5 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Curious what everyone else thinks. 

Is the conservative offensive approach either …

A. Tua’s limitations?

B. Offensive Line limitations?

C. OC’s philosophy and scheme?

It's certainly all 3.  The biggest factor IMO is the poor play of the OLine.  A close second is the dysfunction of our Offensive staff (run game coordinator, pass game coordinator, but the QB coach calls the plays, where does accountability lie in this dysfunctional scheme).  Lastly is Tua's limitations.  He's played admirably given the situation, but he does appear to be limited in ability.  He has some inconsistency in that he demonstrates the ability to throw into tight windows over the short and intermediate middle with sick accuracy, but his timing on outs and flats routes can be downright wild at times.  His decision making on the seam routes and flag routes is often poor and he tends to overthrow these routes more often than others.  Tua is a big question mark to me right now.

Also, let's not forget the poor performance of Receivers not named Mike Gesicki or Jaylen Waddle.  Parker has obviously been frustrated by his misuse this season and it shows in his poor effort.

Edited by Swampbilly