The 2022 QB Class

Daniel

OK, so after watching at least a couple of games from each prospect, and taking notes, I have my QB rankings and notes.  Haven't watched the Senior Bowl yet, but I wanted a good idea of what I thought of each before I watched the game.

1. Malik Willis: Physical talent is obvious, and he dealt with a lack of talent around him, and under pressure a lot.  Best runner in the class, and the strongest arm.  Height is a little less than optimal, but the big detriment is that he needs to learn almost everything.  His accuracy needs work, but it's not awful.  The big thing is learning the mental game.  Because of the high upside, he's worth a first rounder.

2. Kenny Pickett: Opposite end of the spectrum.  Pickett does everything well, but there's always a but.  He's accurate, but rarely throws to tight windows.  He's got prototype size, but small hands.  He can read a defense, but he's not the super cerebral type.  He is evasive in the pocket, and can run, but isn't a difference maker with his legs.  Looks like a high end game manager type.  Fringe first rounder.

3. Desmond Ridder: Probably the second best runner, with prototype size and one of the bigger arms in the class.  Evasive in the pocket, and a difference maker with his legs.  Accuracy is just barely good enough for NFL and needs work.  Needs to improve the mental aspect of the game a lot, as he struggles to read defensive adjustments and makes strange decisions more often than you'd like.  Solid pocket awareness, and does good things when flushed out of the pocket.  Solid second rounder.

4. Carson Strong: Pretty advanced with the mental aspect, pretty big arm, and prototype size.  Still, he's a statue in the pocket, and has a tendency to stare down receivers.  Outside of Pickett and Howell, the best at fitting balls into tight windows.  Can run when necessary, but not a running QB.  Needs better pocket awareness.  If the physical tools are there, he could have some upside.  Mid to late second rounder.

5. Matt Corral: Corral I am convinced is a system QB first.  That said, he can run and he is an accurate thrower.  He tends to run as soon as his first read isn't open, and so many of his throws are designed to be behind the LOS and with throwing on fourth always on the table that it's really hard to see what he'd really do in a pro style offense.  Still, with physical talent, there is upside there, but I think he's almost as much of a project as Willis, and he's not as physically talented and is coming off an injury.  Also not sure about his size.  Should go in the third.

6. Sam Howell: Despite being one of the most accurate throwers and best runners, I think Howell is too limited for the NFL.  He runs through people, which won't work in college, and his size concerns and ball security issues are a problem.  He tends to start making mistakes under pressure, and has poor pocket awareness.  Still, he reads progressions well and can make throws into tight windows, though he was usually throwing to wide open receivers.  Without an offensive system tailored to him, he'll struggle. Third rounder.

7. Bailey Zappe: Yeah, he threw for a lot of yards, but he really seems like just a guy.  Probably a solid game manager in a backup role, but he doesn't really have the physical tools.  Fourth round or later.