The 2022 QB Class

Daniel

52 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

They did meet with Jordan Love back in the day too. Could have taken him. Took Isiah Wilson instead. lol

Jordan Love would've been a great pick. However, he went three picks ahead of us. It's okay, though, we'll make up for it with Strong.

I just can't turn off my fascination with Malik Willis. After hearing how he's lighting up the Senior Bowl he probably won't even make it to our pick, but I think he's the QB out of this class that could completely elevate an offense on his own and take it to another level. I think he has that type of ability. 

It kinda comes down to two different scenarios to me... Malik has the most to work with athletically he just has that something special. I have my doubts about Downing's ability to get the most out of him, but if a player like that is there to be had I don't think you can pass that up.

The other scenario is drafting Carson Strong who I'm starting to love as well. Totally different playing style from Malik definitely not as athletic, but he has a cannon and seems to know how to read a defense presnap, make adjustments, etc. All the stuff that will help him get acclimated to the NFL quickly.

I feel like Carson could come into our offense as it is currently constructed and immediately be a solid fit whereas with Malik there's that bigger risk because I think if we drafted him we should be adding more things to accentuate his mobility similar to what the Bills have done with Josh Allen.

Like I've stated in previous posts about Malik, my dilemma isn't with him it's the offensive staff in place, but that talent that's there is so tempting to add to our offense. The other QBs have some good tools to work with within the confines of our offense, but if there is one QB prospect in this class that could be a complete game changer for us it's Malik Willis. 

Though all this is probably moot, because after his week in Mobile, I don't see any way he makes it to our pick lol.

My notes so far after watching two or three games from each guy.  Take with a grain of salt, given my history evaluating QBs.  Pickett, Willis, and Zappe will be next.

1A. Carson Strong: Pocket passer, big arm, but tendency to throw a lot of 50/50 balls, especially to tight end.  Moves through progressions pretty well, but has tendency to stare down receivers before the pass, especially noticeable on long passes.  Throws a lot downfield; ability to move ball down field in a hurry when necessary; not exactly a statue, can run, but not particularly evasive in pocket, but not great pocket awareness.  No obvious pro comp comes to mind, but it's a common skill set.  Great size for position.  Not a lot of tape against really good defenses.  Will go way up  draft board if he shows athleticism at Combine.

1B. Desmond Ridder: The Tannehill comp is legit.  Very evasive in pocket, and dangerous with legs.  Capable of making throws to tight windows, but inconsistent in accuracy.  Another big arm. Trouble throwing with defenders in his face, but good pocket awareness, generally.  Struggled throwing against the high level defenses he faced, especially when defensive adjustments were common, but consistently good as a runner.  High motor guy, good at throwing on the run.  Second highest upside with size, speed, and arm combo, but needs work on reading defenses and accuracy.

2. Sam Howell: Surprisingly polished passer, and very tough runner.  Lots of YAC from receivers, and lots of throws to wide open WRs make him look like a bit of a system QB, but accuracy and field reading ability as good as Strong's.  Better as a passer against ND than Ridder.  Not great at sensing pressure in pocket, but very hard to bring down.  Keeping ball secure under pressure an issue.  Height an issue.  Looks like a mini-Ben Roethlisberger to me.  High floor, seemingly pretty pro-ready, but not a lot of upside.  Won't be able to run through people in NFL.

3. Matt Corral: Dropped the most in my estimation after watching games.  Depends on YAC and going for it on fourth down, almost never throws to receivers past line to gain on third.  Looks like the picture of a system QB/game manager.  Accuracy is there when he has time in pocket.  Dangerous runner, but tends to tuck and run as soon as first read isn't open.  Without unbiased measurements, not sure about size.  Did play against a much higher level of competition than other QBs.  Efficient as a game manager, adequate arm.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, Andrei01 said:

Jordan Love would've been a great pick. However, he went three picks ahead of us. It's okay, though, we'll make up for it with Strong.

I don't know in what world a first round draft pick who couldn't make his team's active roster in his rookie year is considered a "great pick," but I basically have all the same concerns watching Carson Strong that I did watching Jordan Love: His competition straight-up sucks. Strong's game at least translates somewhat better to the NFL level, but he looks like a statue in the pocket and I think Tannehill would beat him as a QB on A: Game smarts, B: Overall talent, C: Mobility. Carson Strong is not an upgrade in the near or long term over Ryan Tannehill, and I'm not a Tannehill fan. 

9 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I don't know in what world a first round draft pick who couldn't make his team's active roster in his rookie year is considered a "great pick," but I basically have all the same concerns watching Carson Strong that I did watching Jordan Love: His competition straight-up sucks. Strong's game at least translates somewhat better to the NFL level, but he looks like a statue in the pocket and I think Tannehill would beat him as a QB on A: Game smarts, B: Overall talent, 😄 Mobility. Carson Strong is not an upgrade in the near or long term over Ryan Tannehill, and I'm not a Tannehill fan. 

The world where that first round draft pick will take the league by storm and prove everyone else wrong. It'll happen, just wait for it.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The only guys I see as a Titan, ("Top" QBs) would be Ridder or Willis. 

The other guys are too small or Strong who can't move. Strong would be murdered behind our line. Doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL QB one day, but here I don't think so.

That’s where I am. With Kelly on staff, I would be more comfortable taking a project. Willis has the most talent in the class, and Ridder, well, plays like Tannehill. And both need a year of refinement.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

That’s where I am. With Kelly on staff, I would be more comfortable taking a project. Willis has the most talent in the class, and Ridder, well, plays like Tannehill. And both need a year of refinement.

Yeah and I'm not sure they see the value in either to draft them in the 1st to sit. Although we really don't have a glaring hole. We could use a better RT, but I'm of the mind that you can find a suitable guy in FA. If Ques can be a starter and relatively decent in our scheme. Then I'm going cheap there again. Pray for an upgrade, settle for just as good as Ques. 
Duh. Just start Radunz.

Really don't see any motivation for them to draft one this year. The ones next year will be a lot better and if we really need a QB of the future, you can do whatever you have to to get up to get one. 

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah and I'm not sure they see the value in either to draft them in the 1st to sit. Although we really don't have a glaring hole. We could use a better RT, but I'm of the mind that you can find a suitable guy in FA. If Ques can be a starter and relatively decent in our scheme. Then I'm going cheap there again. Pray for an upgrade, settle for just as good as Ques. 
Duh. Just start Radunz.

Really don't see any motivation for them to draft one this year. The ones next year will be a lot better and if we really need a QB of the future, you can do whatever you have to to get up to get one. 

I think this is going to be a particularly fluid draft season.  With no QBs really worth taking in the top few picks, but a lot of early round QB talent, draft boards are gonna be in flux.

There's a lot of OL and WR talent that is hovering around the bottom of the first right now, and both would be helpful.  But also, if Malik is still somehow there at 26, it'd be awfully hard not to consider pulling the trigger.  Upside is just through the roof if you think you can get him to fix vision and accuracy.  Same with Ridder in the second if we trade down.

Trading down to the second and potentially still having your pick of this TE class would be pretty nice though, and would be my preference.  I want to come out with some Edge talent too, since it's such a good class.  And obviously, help at WR and interior OL is needed fairly early.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think this is going to be a particularly fluid draft season.  With no QBs really worth taking in the top few picks, but a lot of early round QB talent, draft boards are gonna be in flux.

There's a lot of OL and WR talent that is hovering around the bottom of the first right now, and both would be helpful.  But also, if Malik is still somehow there at 26, it'd be awfully hard not to consider pulling the trigger.  Upside is just through the roof if you think you can get him to fix vision and accuracy.  Same with Ridder in the second if we trade down.

Trading down to the second and potentially still having your pick of this TE class would be pretty nice though, and would be my preference.  I want to come out with some Edge talent too, since it's such a good class.  And obviously, help at WR and interior OL is needed fairly early.

I would think a trade down is the best. But we say that every year. lol

I think our hitting points needs to be a TE and another WR. And it'd deep there. Adding an edge we like would be nice too. 
But we do have Weaver coming back that's like an extra pick. Same with Farley.  For us to have done so well without Farley or Weaver on defense is encouraging. Just gonna add to it. 

But I also think you could get a real twitched up UDFA to add to our edge group and they would do well, because of all the talent around them. (Simmons, Aurty, Dupree, Landry, N. Jones)

I also feel any OL we draft is depth. Radunz is taking a starting spot somewhere. Ques might be brought back as depth. So draft a guy late or low FA. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

I would think a trade down is the best. But we say that every year. lol

I think our hitting points needs to be a TE and another WR. And it'd deep there. Adding an edge we like would be nice too. 
But we do have Weaver coming back that's like an extra pick. Same with Farley.  For us to have done so well without Farley or Weaver on defense is encouraging. Just gonna add to it. 

But I also think you could get a real twitched up UDFA to add to our edge group and they would do well, because of all the talent around them. (Simmons, Aurty, Dupree, Landry, N. Jones)

I also feel any OL we draft is depth. Radunz is taking a starting spot somewhere. Ques might be brought back as depth. So draft a guy late or low FA. 

I assume taking an OL frees us up to dump Saffold and free up some money.  Of course, we'll know about that before the draft.  I assume Radunz is our starting RT pretty soon.

I'd also say, even with Weaver, we need more quality depth at pass rusher.  He's still an unknown coming off an injury, and there'll be nothing behind him.  Having another mid rounder right there would be critical in the case of an injury.  But mostly, the class is deep with talent there, so we should take advantage.

I would not hate using our first pick on a WR either.