2022 Draft Stuff

animaltested

Preconceived notions are a funny thing. Wasn't expecting to like Nik Bonitto based off what I had read but I'm a fan. Undersized, sure, but he has great twitch, closing speed, a creative rush arsenal, and maybe most notably strong play recognition. That's a recipe for a contributing defender year 1 with potential for much more. I don't think I'd take him in the early 2nd (I won't be mad if we do, just assume his subpar length/size will push him down a bit) but would love to see us grab him in the 3rd if he's still there. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Boye Mafe looks pretty good. More of a late 2nd / early 3rd round type to me so wouldn't LOVE him with one of these next 2 picks. David Ojabo seems like a pretty major project player with a serious injury so he's probably not in consideration for me. Didn't love the tape even when he was healthy. 

Currently watching Arnold Ebiketie and I'm thinking this is going to be my preferred pick at #40. High motor. Very slippery when he gets an opening. Creative pass rush arsenal. Fluid athlete. Very long build. Highly graded win rate. I'm only 1 game in so these may be overreactions but I'll watch a few more to confirm this assessment. 

Planning on watching Drake Jackson and Nik Bonitto before turning over to CBs. Feel free to let me know if there are any other EDGE players I should be checking out! @animaltested

Sam Williams (OleMiss)

He has some very "Seahawks" traits. 

Deanglo Malone (WKU) and Josh Paschal (Ken) are others people mention as 3rd-4th guys

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Drake Jackson

I could see this being a polarizing prospect. On one hand, the athleticism is clearly there and he offers excellent length at the position. On the other hand, he was a bit of a one-year wonder and he really lacks functional strength to his game. He's probably more late 2nd round material for me, but if a team can tap into additional strength on that frame, he has a tremendous ceiling. He also doesn't have the type of closing speed or twitch to make up for his lack of strength. 

10 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Boye Mafe looks pretty good. More of a late 2nd / early 3rd round type to me so wouldn't LOVE him with one of these next 2 picks.

Still don't love it, but I actually like it relative to what else was on the board. I've warmed up a lot to the pick with the more I've watched of him. Doesn't have ideal length (32.5" arms) and he's not very twitchy, but I love his power/speed blend, versatility (lined up as rush LB, 7-tech, 3-tech, and off ball LB), and dense frame (261 lbs).

I think it's fairly obvious the Falcons sniped us for Ebiketie which was a bummer. 

While I don't love taking a RB with that next pick, I love the prospect. Kenneth Walker has elite traits, as confirmed by his 4.38 40 at 211 lbs. I'd compare him to Maurice Jones-Drew coming out. Check out the side by sides. 

Weight
Walker 211
MJD 207 

40-yd dash 
Walker 4.38 
MJD 4.39

10-yard split 
Walker 1.50 
MJD 1.53

Vert 
Walker 34" 
MJD 36" 

Would've preferred Clemson CB Andrew Booth (went the very next pick) but I'm not going to complain about getting a guy who is pretty much a slam dunk to be a very effective pro RB with potential to be special. 

On 4/30/2022 at 12:09 PM, Dodo said:

Results not withstanding etc etc but how do you feel about having a "good" draft? Seems like you're taking all the guys fans would want 

It feels .... weird. I think with Russ; John-Pete seemed pressed to grab guys that had a role/ would step in on day one and improve a position. This got them into trouble quite a bit. This year, seems like they had their guys, but the let the board fall to them. 

Also, the finally focused on premium positions (2 OT, 2 CBs, 2 EDGE, 2 WR) which definitely scored some points with the base.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:33 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

Still don't love it, but I actually like it relative to what else was on the board. I've warmed up a lot to the pick with the more I've watched of him. Doesn't have ideal length (32.5" arms) and he's not very twitchy, but I love his power/speed blend, versatility (lined up as rush LB, 7-tech, 3-tech, and off ball LB), and dense frame (261 lbs).

I think it's fairly obvious the Falcons sniped us for Ebiketie which was a bummer. 

Me love some Boye. That being said, I dont think he going to be a guy that blows up boxscores; as in, he wont be someone you throw on the edge and ask the pin his ears back and go get it. I see him more as a great role player, in that he can rush the passer, but you can also drop him in short zones, and ask him to cover RBs/TE's in the flat and on wheel routes. Maybe someone kinda inbetween Bruce Irvin and Malcolm Smith?

Overall Thoughts on the draft:

1. Charles Cross - I was .. whelmed by this pick. That being said, from a value standpoint makes a ton of sense. Legit LT prospect, the tackle depth after Cross was atrocious (Smith and Penning are WAY more flawed than Cross), and all the blue chip prospects were gone by that point. You might want to over worry about the lack of solid anchor, but you love the length and fluid feet. Going to be interesting how quickly Cross can become acclaimed to the NFL strength. Could be ugly early. 

2. Boye Mafe - My full thoughts are above. I love this pick. I dont see a Pro Bowl level edge that gonna get 10 sacks a year. Instead, an incredibly versatile player with some potential for high impact plays. 

3. Kenneth Walker - John-Pete have been searching for that HomeRun threat at RB since Marshawn. Penny found it late last year, and KWIII has that ability. Its weird to me people keep bringing up Carson and Penny. Carson more than likely never plays again, while Penny has a long injury history and is on a one year deal. Neither Dallas or Homer are more than solid 3rd down backs/ ST players. 

4. Abe Lucas - Was kind of a shock to me after drafting Cross. Figured the team was comfortable with Curhan at RT. We are now in the Alex Dickerson era for Seattle OLINE. Long dudes with good feet; that seems to be the profile. 

5. Coby Bryant - He fits Pete Ball extremely well. Seems like to play CB in Seattle you need Fluid Hips, Read and React Ability, and be willing to come up strong on Run Support. Those seem to be Coby's strength, and why Seattle has been getting by at the CB position never spending more than a 3rd at the position. I think there is a good chance he leaves pre-season as the starter opposite Jones (unless Tre Brown returns fully healed up and playing at the high level we was last year)

6. Tariq Woolen - The ubermensch of "Seahawk" players. I think Seattle see's him less as a starter on the outside, and more of a potential ST Ace. That size and speed is well worth the 5th round lottery ticket. 

7. Tyreke Smith - Seems very similar to the Alton Robinson pick two years ago. Not sure how much I like a slow footed EDGE without the strength to make up for it. 

8. Bo Melton - Speed and YAC. Pretty surprising value here considering how much WR talent went off the board. Hopefully he lives up to his Seahawks Twitter Hype more than Cade Johnson and John Ursua did. 

9. Dareke Young - His profile is really exciting, 6'3 220, 4.47 40, 37 vert, Lined up all over the field (including RB), great blocker. Seen some reports about a more to TE, but I hope they dont. Really excited to see him in the pre-season.

Edited by animaltested

10 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Me love some Boye. That being said, I dont think he going to be a guy that blows up boxscores; as in, he wont be someone you throw on the edge and ask the pin his ears back and go get it. I see him more as a great role player, in that he can rush the passer, but you can also drop him in short zones, and ask him to cover RBs/TE's in the flat and on wheel routes. Maybe someone kinda inbetween Bruce Irvin and Malcolm Smith?

I think that's a fair takeaway. Still wish we would've went with Andrew Booth after Ebiketie was taken, just because he has the potential to be our #1 CB week 1. I assume Mafe will be listed as an OLB, which means he should be directly competing with Uchenna Nwosu and Darrell Taylor, of which I'd say Mafe is currently the 3rd best. I would expect Alton Robinson and Tyreke Smith to compete for a similar role as well where all 5 guys see time at both DE and LB. 

We're currently dangerously thin at 3-tech, CB, and ILB. 

I know this won't come to fruition, but my preferred defensive alignment would look something like this: 

LDE Shelby Harris --- NT Poona Ford --- 3T Quinton Jefferson --- 7T Darrell Taylor 

rLB Uchenna Nwosu --- MLB Jordyn Brooks --- ROVER Jamal Adams 

CB Artie Burns --- FS Quandre Diggs --- SS Marquise Blair --- CB Sidney Jones

I'd also be happy with us essentially running a Nickel-based defense to avoid having a 3rd LB on the field, though that will come at the detriment of the run defense. I know they won't list Jamal Adams at LB or commit to playing him in that fashion, but I would greatly prefer it. Either way, our defense looks really bad this season tbh. With the combination of QBs and CBs we're putting out there, I can't see us winning more than 6 games at most. 

7 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I think that's a fair takeaway. Still wish we would've went with Andrew Booth after Ebiketie was taken, just because he has the potential to be our #1 CB week 1. I assume Mafe will be listed as an OLB, which means he should be directly competing with Uchenna Nwosu and Darrell Taylor, of which I'd say Mafe is currently the 3rd best. I would expect Alton Robinson and Tyreke Smith to compete for a similar role as well where all 5 guys see time at both DE and LB. 

We're currently dangerously thin at 3-tech, CB, and ILB. 

I know this won't come to fruition, but my preferred defensive alignment would look something like this: 

LDE Shelby Harris --- NT Poona Ford --- 3T Quinton Jefferson --- 7T Darrell Taylor 

rLB Uchenna Nwosu --- MLB Jordyn Brooks --- ROVER Jamal Adams 

CB Artie Burns --- FS Quandre Diggs --- SS Marquise Blair --- CB Sidney Jones

I'd also be happy with us essentially running a Nickel-based defense to avoid having a 3rd LB on the field, though that will come at the detriment of the run defense. I know they won't list Jamal Adams at LB or commit to playing him in that fashion, but I would greatly prefer it. Either way, our defense looks really bad this season tbh. With the combination of QBs and CBs we're putting out there, I can't see us winning more than 6 games at most. 

ITs a work in progress; low expectations, but Im excited to see the young pieces work their way in. 

Will be interesting to see how Desai views certain players. Im really interested in seeing how he (and Hurtt) use Adams. Return to form in a 3-4?

Brooks and Barton were amazing late in the year as battery mates. I do think barring injury, they are paired with Taylor and Nwosu as the started 4 LBs. Harris-Woods-Ford are probably your "starters" with Jefferson + Harris pairing in the middle on passing downs. (unless Collier suddenly become good). This is where bringing back Dunlap could be valuable.

Mafe and Nwosu probably "battle" for that spot, but I think Mafe works year 1 as a rotational rusher. 

Burns is interesting, gut says he is the "nickel" while Tre Brown and Coby Bryant battle for the CB2 spot opposite Jones. Blair is such an enigma, no clue what to make of him at this point. 

33 minutes ago, animaltested said:

1. Charles Cross - I was .. whelmed by this pick. That being said, from a value standpoint makes a ton of sense. Legit LT prospect, the tackle depth after Cross was atrocious (Smith and Penning are WAY more flawed than Cross), and all the blue chip prospects were gone by that point. You might want to over worry about the lack of solid anchor, but you love the length and fluid feet. Going to be interesting how quickly Cross can become acclaimed to the NFL strength. Could be ugly early.

I'm confident you'll become a fan very early. Without a doubt the best pass protector this class had to offer. I think his lack of size will be felt most in the run game, but hey that's why we paid Will Dissly the big bucks. I like the idea of getting Cross's feet wet this season with hopes of developing his body closer to 315-320, so by the time he's protecting the franchise QB next year, he's a brick wall. 

5 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I'm confident you'll become a fan very early. Without a doubt the best pass protector this class had to offer. I think his lack of size will be felt most in the run game, but hey that's why we paid Will Dissly the big bucks. I like the idea of getting Cross's feet wet this season with hopes of developing his body closer to 315-320, so by the time he's protecting the franchise QB next year, he's a brick wall. 

I definitely listened to more Rob Stanton than Corbin Smith & Samuel Gold on this front lol. 

21 with that frame, and footwork is absolutely enough to bring me back around. Plus, being a good pass blocker early is good, since Seattle is going to playing from behind the entire season.