Pre SB Mock

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

RG is going to be tricky for us. Bc LDT was solid there but bc of his medical history you never know what he might do

I am discounting LDT.  I think JD will want a younger, better RG like Davis or Cappa.  LDT is OK, but as you said, is his heart 100% in on football?

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I am discounting LDT.  I think JD will want a younger, better RG like Davis or Cappa.  LDT is OK, but as you said, is his heart 100% in on football?

It will all depend on the COVID curve when FA and the draft hit on if LDT is committed to football or not. I think if the season were to start today, where cases are down and symptoms are much different than a cold… then he plays. A new strand comes along and CDC heightens restrictions… him actually playing might be less than 50%. Either way we’re not “forced” to do anything on the OL bc we have Fant, AVT, McGovern, LDT and Becton all under contract. That’s a decent OL. Can it be upgraded? 100%. But it’s not bad at all.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Either way we’re not “forced” to do anything on the OL bc we have Fant, AVT, McGovern, LDT and Becton all under contract

LDT is a FA. If he was not, we probably would not be talking about him because it would be an OL we could all agree is decent to start the season. 

Edited by xrade

Good stuff, pretty close to what I'm hoping for at this point.

Assuming Thibodeaux is gone, I wonder how tempted they'll be to take Hamilton -- probably the only true "bluechip" prospect in this class, moreover, he embodies everything Douglas covets in terms of intangibles and high character. Not advocating for him to be the pick, but he really is the perfect example of what I think this staff is looking for in a person. 

I'm leaning Wilson > Burkes at 10, but warming up to either pick. The comp I like for Burkes, from Jeremiah, is AJ Brown who I was really high on coming out.

21 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Good stuff, pretty close to what I'm hoping for at this point.

Assuming Thibodeaux is gone, I wonder how tempted they'll be to take Hamilton -- probably the only true "bluechip" prospect in this class, moreover, he embodies everything Douglas covets in terms of intangibles and high character. Not advocating for him to be the pick, but he really is the perfect example of what I think this staff is looking for in a person. 

I'm leaning Wilson > Burkes at 10, but warming up to either pick. The comp I like for Burkes, from Jeremiah, is AJ Brown who I was really high on coming out.

Yes I think Brown is a great comparison for him, but I think he offers actually even more than that. He has more of that just get the ball in his hands type trait (like Moore for us). But plays differently bc of his size. I do like the AJ Brown comparison but a bigger Deebo I think describes how this staff I think would utilize him more.

23 hours ago, TheGDJets said:

Hypothetical, Hutch and Thibodeaux are gone at 4 and the front office likes what they see from Becton to ease their concerns about him, and no one is showing interest in trading up. What do we do then? Hamilton?

No way you take Hamilton at 4.

This is my top 4

1. Hutch

2. Thibod

3. Evans

4. Stingley/Gardner 

CB are way more important than a safety. Gardner and Stingley will both be studs. I would not mind if we got both of then with 4 and 10 and have 2 shutdown CB. Can you imagine having 2 shutdown CB that means it gives more time for the line to get that rush on. 

28 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is my top 4

1. Hutch

2. Thibod

3. Evans

4. Stingley/Gardner 

CB are way more important than a safety. Gardner and Stingley will both be studs. I would not mind if we got both of then with 4 and 10 and have 2 shutdown CB. Can you imagine having 2 shutdown CB that means it gives more time for the line to get that rush on. 

I draft one of Neal or Ikem at 4. Play them at RG. Eventually they’ll move to OT.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

This is my top 4

1. Hutch

2. Thibod

3. Evans

4. Stingley/Gardner 

I wouldn't rule out Hamilton. CBs are more important, but it's not like the position hasn't been severely devalued, notably (from what we've seen) with this staff and system in particular. He's not my choice at 4, but given the lack of top-end, surefire talent this year it wouldn't shock me. He's the exact type of person you look to build around from culture perspective, and arguably 'that good' to where evaluators are willing to bypass positional value - i.e Kyle Pitts, Saquon, etc. 

Again, not my top choice, but no GM wants to miss on a top-5 pick and Hamilton is far and away the most "can't miss" prospect in this draft. Couple that with his obvious love of the game, leadership, team oriented approach and just general high character... I think if Douglas' top guys (whomever that'll be) are off the board, Hamilton will be real tempting. Say, for example, Douglas is locked in on Huch/Thib but both are gone -- that's the type of gut punch that could lead to Hamilton, because although it sucks, at least there's comfort knowing you're still getting a stud.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes I think Brown is a great comparison for him, but I think he offers actually even more than that. He has more of that just get the ball in his hands type trait (like Moore for us). But plays differently bc of his size. I do like the AJ Brown comparison but a bigger Deebo I think describes how this staff I think would utilize him more.

Guess it's a give-take comparison, maybe he falls somewhere in the middle. I don't see the complete receiver (Brown), nor the pure offensive weapon (Deebo). Honestly see some N'Kleal Harry who I was also high on, but much more explosive. Harry flashed as the focal point on a bad Arizona State team with volume, YAC and contested catch ability... sound familiar? I was wrong in overlooking his lack of separation, especially after he ran decent at the combine. Burkes is a lot more explosive though, so I don't think he'll experience the same pitfall, but I see similarities in their college game.

Totally get the Burkes love, would be fun to pair him with Moore in this offense. My only other concern is that I keep reading he falls short on effort plays, blocking etc. Big red flag for me, especially for someone with his athletic ability who's likely been able to coast on natural ability alone to this point. Impossible to know the validity based on a few anecdotal tidbits, but those questions NEED to be answered.  

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

CB are way more important than a safety. Gardner and Stingley will both be studs. I would not mind if we got both of then with 4 and 10 and have 2 shutdown CB

I won’t disagree on the importance of a CB part but I will disagree that Stingley and Sauce will be shutdown corners. Stingley is living off his freshman year production. He has done little the last two years and has recurring foot problems. I would not touch him until round 3. Sauce is a good man cover CB. We play a lot of zone. Personally, if I were the DC, I’d let Sauce play man and allow the others to play zone but I doubt Saleh will go for that. If we were to get Sauce at 10, I would not cry about it but no to Stingley.

Edited by xrade

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Guess it's a give-take comparison, maybe he falls somewhere in the middle. I don't see the complete receiver (Brown), nor the pure offensive weapon (Deebo). Honestly see some N'Kleal Harry who I was also high on, but much more explosive. Harry flashed as the focal point on a bad Arizona State team with volume, YAC and contested catch ability... sound familiar? I was wrong in overlooking his lack of separation, especially after he ran decent at the combine. Burkes is a lot more explosive though, so I don't think he'll experience the same pitfall, but I see similarities in their college game.

Totally get the Burkes love, would be fun to pair him with Moore in this offense. My only other concern is that I keep reading he falls short on effort plays, blocking etc. Big red flag for me, especially for someone with his athletic ability who's likely been able to coast on natural ability alone to this point. Impossible to know the validity based on a few anecdotal tidbits, but those questions NEED to be answered.  

An idea that I actually love but is incredibly risky is passing on WR at 10. Drafting maybe DE and OL in some form at 4 and 10. See how things shake out. If Jameson Williams is there after 20 thinking about trading up for him. We decide to do 35 and our 3rd we can move all the way up to around 20. We don’t want to give up that much… then if he’s there in the last 4 picks or so in Round 1, we can give up 35 and our 1st 4th maybe. 

• Like 1