Pre SB Mock

Bobby816

Notable Signings

FS: Marcus Williams: This is our big splash in FA. For starters we should've just drafted him instead of Maye 4 years ago. But NO cant afford him really. And we need S help. He's still only 25 and is hitting his prime. So he's worth the money.

RG: Austin Corbett: Plug and play RG for us. Fits our system great already and is still only 26. Makes this OL a strength across the board for us.

TE: David Njoku: Probably the best TE on the market that will be realistically available. Why is he available? Bc CLE is already paying Hooper. We convince him to play with us with young pieces on offense and him being the main man for us at TE (think Kittle lite). Wilson needs TE help bad.

LB: Kyzir White: rangy LB that can cover and tackle. Can flourish in our system. Has the size and speed to play LB for us.

NFL Draft

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux (DE/Oregon😞 We finally have a draft shake our way and we get our DE. Kayvon fits our system great and falls to us. And we can't run up to the stand fast enough. Kayvon and Lawson should be a great DE combo for several years. This system needs that DE pressure and we now have it. This move makes everyone in the front 7 better. The DTs can play more their style and the LBs can just read and react. Elite prospect finally falls into our lap.

1. (from SEA) Treylon Burks (WR/Arkansas): We get Wilson his favorite weapon here. Burks is quite frankly great at everything. At 6'3" 225lbs he's big enough that he uses his body to box out defenders and win balls in the air. But that's not it with him... he's best in short routes just getting the ball in his hand. That's where he shows that he's unique in how quick and fast he is for his size. Think of him is a bigger Deebo Samuel in our copycat SF offense. Giving Wilson... Burks and Moore as young WRs that play differently is great for him to succeed. Perfect fit for our system.

2. Jaquan Brisker (S/Penn State): A do it all S. He mainly will line up at SS for us, but we kind of interchange where our S's play with a revamped group with Williams and Brisker. Davis and Pinnock will still get playing time. Brisker is better in the box than in coverage, where Williams is better in coverage. So I expect that to be how we mostly use them. Brisker has the size to hang with bigger guys and is fast enough to hang with quick guys. He's not afraid to hit either.

2. (from CAR) Christian Harris (LB/Alabama): Dude is pretty much a clone of Mosely, just 8 years younger. And I think we'd all welcome that kind of player. Can recognize plays, tackle, rush the passer and cover. He's the future anchor for the LB group for a long time. And who better to learn from than Mosley himself.

3. Jeremy Ruckert (TE/Ohio State): We don't just need Njoku... we need another TE. McBride doesn't make it to us, so we choose our next favorite TE in Ruckert. Local LI kid who has great talent, just doesn't have the receiving numbers as others bc OSU is loaded at WR. So he has untapped skill in essence. He's not forced to be THE guy right away bc we have Njoku... but Ruckert quickly becomes an asset for us and we use 2 TE sets more as time goes on. 

4. Alec Lindstrom (C/Boston College): McGovern was actually pretty good at C this year, that's why we don't draft Linderbaum at 10. That doesn't mean we don't address C. We draft our future starter at C in Lindstrom in this mid round area. Gives us depth at C and he can play G as well. Make no question that after the 2022 season that he will be our starting C though. He moves great for a C, which is perfect for us and our scheme.

4. Cobe Bryant (CB/Cincinnati): We continue to try and build our CB group in this mid late round area. Bryant is strictly an outside CB with great size. Loves that physical play which we kind of lack right now. Not a Day 1 starter... but we works his way in on ST and as depth for the CB group. Hopefully he can develop into a CB2 on the outside for us. 

5. Brian Robinson Jr. (RB/Alabama): Your big bodied down hill between the tackles runner to compliment Carter who's more shifty and can receive as well. Robinson is nearly 6/2" and 225lbs. and not easy to go down. Great short yardage back. He's the thunder to Carter's lightning when he needs breaks.

5. Cade York (K/LSU): Yes we finally spend a pick on a K. They're becoming more and more valuable and we have a revolving door there. Just spend our last draft pick on one and be set for several years.

For me this fixes A LOT with this team.

On offense we get a star WR for Wilson in Burks. We partner that with revamping the TE room with a young TE in Njoku and draft a high ceiling guy in Ruckert. Get some depth behind Carter at RB with a bog bodied RB in Robinson. We make our starting OL very talented and young with adding a starting RG in Corbett and even adding a C in waiting in Lindstrom that can get snaps at C/G as a rookie for depth.

On defense we revamp as well. Finally get our star DE in Thibs on top of getting Lawson back. Makes this pass rush great right away. We revamp the LB room as well with adding White who fits the system and draft a star LB in Harris as well. Going to the secondary we totally revamp the S room with spending on Williams and drafting Brisker. Making what was a revolving door for us last year at S now a huge strength with youth. At CB we continue to let the young guys play. We just add some depth in Bryant as a big bodied CB for us.

And to end it we get some stability in ST at K with York. K have made the difference in this whole playoffs and have shown teams how valuable they can really be. 

This makes our notable depth chart look something like this....

QB: Wilson

RB: Carter, Robinson

WR: Davis, Burks, Moore, Berrios, Mims

TE: Njoku, Ruckert, Yeboah

OT: Fant, Becton

OG: AVT, Corbett

OC: McGovern, Lindstrom

DE: Lawson, Thibodeaux, Huff

DT: Q, Rankins, JFM

LB: Mosley, White, Harris, Williams, Nas

CB: Hall, Carter, Echols, Guidry, Bryant

FS: Williams, Pinnock

SS: Brisker, Davis

K: York

P: Mann

• Like 1

I can get on board with this.  White is a bit underwhelming FA signing and his size is worrisome for LB but the league is trending towards smaller, more athletic LB's.  I think we will also target a mid-level WR in FA, maybe bring Moore back.    I would expect Ruckert to be available later in round 2 so perhaps a trade down from 38?  So much depends on Becton's standing with the coaching staff.  I would think JD will hedge his bets and draft a OT somewhere in rounds 2-3 or bring Moses back if he is willing to accept backup duties.

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

I can get on board with this.  White is a bit underwhelming FA signing and his size is worrisome for LB but the league is trending towards smaller, more athletic LB's.  I think we will also target a mid-level WR in FA, maybe bring Moore back.    I would expect Ruckert to be available later in round 2 so perhaps a trade down from 38?  So much depends on Becton's standing with the coaching staff.  I would think JD will hedge his bets and draft a OT somewhere in rounds 2-3 or bring Moses back if he is willing to accept backup duties.

Well we have AVT if Becton cant get his crab together. He can move to OT and either Lindstrom or McGovern can move from C to G. I'm going to maintain optimism that Becton will start for us at one of the OT spots though. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well we have AVT if Becton cant get his crab together. He can move to OT and either Lindstrom or McGovern can move from C to G

“Crab”?  Is that what the kids are calling it these days?  That is a lot of movement. Moving an All-Rookie OG?  It would be easier to draft a third round OT that will most likely replace Fant in a year if Becton decides to get his crab together.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

“Crab”?  Is that what the kids are calling it these days?  That is a lot of movement. Moving an All-Rookie OG?  It would be easier to draft a third round OT that will most likely replace Fant in a year if Becton decides to get his crab together.

I mean I don’t think JD is operating his off-season thinking he needs an OT. He just drafted him and thinks he’s a building block that just has to get his crab together 😉

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean I don’t think JD is operating his off-season thinking he needs an OT. He just drafted him and thinks he’s a building block that just has to get his crab together 😉

That’s what makes this such a difficult draft to mock for the Jets. If they (Saleh and JD) have complete confidence in Mekhi, I would expect nothing except for maybe a developmental late day pick. If the confidence is iffy, maybe a higher draft pick or FA that would accept a backup role with the skill needed to start if necessary. If they think Becton will never get his crab together, maybe a day 1 or 2 pick to start opposite Fant.

That is one of the reasons I dismiss mocks that have the Jets taking OT high in the draft. Too much uncertainty and we are not yet in a position to draft Fant’s replacement so high.

9 hours ago, xrade said:

That’s what makes this such a difficult draft to mock for the Jets. If they (Saleh and JD) have complete confidence in Mekhi, I would expect nothing except for maybe a developmental late day pick. If the confidence is iffy, maybe a higher draft pick or FA that would accept a backup role with the skill needed to start if necessary. If they think Becton will never get his crab together, maybe a day 1 or 2 pick to start opposite Fant.

That is one of the reasons I dismiss mocks that have the Jets taking OT high in the draft. Too much uncertainty and we are not yet in a position to draft Fant’s replacement so high.

Don’t fully agree with this. Bc I’m actually all for an OLineman at 4 or 10. And truly think that’s a way we go. I don’t have us doing that in this mock bc I have us signing Corbett as our RG. So say we don’t do anything in FA and plan on starting LDT at RG. Neal, Hutch, Kayvon go 1,2,3… I want Ikem at 4. Draft goes like I have it and we draft Kayvon at 4 but Ikem or another guy like Green or Cross is still there at 10. I could see us drafting OL there.

And here’s why it’s hedging our bet with Becton while not wasting the pick. We draft Ikem… he puts that pressure on Becton to win an OT spot. Becton rises to the challenge and Ikem still starts at RG and eventually moves to OT once we move on from Fant.

I'm not a fan of Burke. I think his routes maybe good but he will have problems getting separation causing him not to be open or Zach throwing a ball to him that has to be perfect because the separation is not there and we don't want Zach doing that. This will lead to even more INTs. I think the WR class is pretty close and none of these guys should go 10. I would rather grab one in the second round which will have just as good as talent. I like the pick with KT at 4 but then come back with Stingley or Gardner or Hamilton with the 10 pick. Ones of those three will be there. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm not a fan of Burke. I think his routes maybe good but he will have problems getting separation causing him not to be open or Zach throwing a ball to him that has to be perfect because the separation is not there and we don't want Zach doing that. This will lead to even more INTs. I think the WR class is pretty close and none of these guys should go 10. I would rather grab one in the second round which will have just as good as talent. I like the pick with KT at 4 but then come back with Stingley or Gardner or Hamilton with the 10 pick. Ones of those three will be there. 

He hands down the most complete WR in the draft. Runs great routes, has great speed and agility. He’s exactly as I said a bigger Deebo Samuel. WhicH we’ve all seen now he can do in this system. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Don’t fully agree with this. Bc I’m actually all for an OLineman at 4 or 10. And truly think that’s a way we go. I don’t have us doing that in this mock bc I have us signing Corbett as our RG. So say we don’t do anything in FA and plan on starting LDT at RG. Neal, Hutch, Kayvon go 1,2,3… I want Ikem at 4. Draft goes like I have it and we draft Kayvon at 4 but Ikem or another guy like Green or Cross is still there at 10. I could see us drafting OL there.

And here’s why it’s hedging our bet with Becton while not wasting the pick. We draft Ikem… he puts that pressure on Becton to win an OT spot. Becton rises to the challenge and Ikem still starts at RG and eventually moves to OT once we move on from Fant.

Well since I think we will get a quality RG in FA, drafting OL in round 1 IF they think Becton is good to go would be a waste of resources this year.  However, if we DO NOT sign a quality FA RG, then sure, we may draft one in round 1.

37 minutes ago, xrade said:

Well since I think we will get a quality RG in FA, drafting OL in round 1 IF they think Becton is good to go would be a waste of resources this year.  However, if we DO NOT sign a quality FA RG, then sure, we may draft one in round 1.

RG is going to be tricky for us. Bc LDT was solid there but bc of his medical history you never know what he might do. Jets should pre FA talk with him and see which way he’s leaning. If he plans on playing or being a DR. If he’s playing then I wouldn’t spend big in FA on a OG. But for me even if he says he’s playing… he can be upgraded from in the draft. I have no problem with us choosing Neal or Ikem at 4 or 10. And actually have no issue with us choosing Lindy or Green at 10 (Green can play OG or OT and we could move McGovern to RG if we draft Lindy). All 4 are upgrades from LDT.

WR is also tricky for us. We don’t resign Berrios then the need is for sure heightened. But Davis can’t be trusted health wise and Mims we can’t count on. Leaving us with just Moore as a steady piece. Of course Davis starts for us and is an asset. But we saw how WR needs depth bc of injuries with us. It’s a position you have to be deep at. I’d love to resign Berrios. But let’s be real he’s not a star WR and should be paid like he is one. And I think we all prefer Moore in the a lot if we have a choice. Certainly he can play on the outside but he’s better in the slot. Meaning we still need an outside WR. There’s a good 5-7 targets for us in the top 40 that fit that for us. But for me Burks, London and Williams are in Tier 1 with guys like Wilson, Olave, Dohtson in that 2nd tier.