TCMD '18 GM mock draft build (open discussion)

ny92mike

We also need to consider that these are tendered players, meaning compensation for not matching the deal.  If I put a RoFR or Original Draft Pick (3rd to 7th round) compensation on a player, I wouldn't expect the player to get much attention in terms of large salaries from other teams.  

If you're looking to retain someone without the fear of another team making an offer sheet, just apply the 1st round tender or 2nd round tender at least then you're being compensated for not matching the offer sheet.

1 hour ago, ny92jefferis said:

From my understanding the orig. team would need to match the contract terms exactly.  I'll see if I can't find any examples of irl situations where the orig team matched the offer but restructured the deal.

Check out the Bills when they signed Charles Clay away from Miami. I believe this is an example of a real life situation in which he is trying to get at.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills

13 minutes ago, davidderion said:

Check out the Bills when they signed Charles Clay away from Miami. I believe this is an example of a real life situation in which he is trying to get at.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479677/article/charles-clay-signs-offer-sheet-with-buffalo-bills

Just read the link you posted.  What I got was that Miami applied the transition tag on Clay, and the Bills submitted an 5 year offer sheet worth several million.  Miami did not match the contract and Clay moved to Buffalo.

This is how the offer sheet is designed in this mock.  A team can submit an offer sheet for any amount of salary as long as it is higher than the minimum APY amount and it is then up to the orig. team to match or decline.

1 hour ago, ny92jefferis said:

We also need to consider that these are tendered players, meaning compensation for not matching the deal.  If I put a RoFR or Original Draft Pick (3rd to 7th round) compensation on a player, I wouldn't expect the player to get much attention in terms of large salaries from other teams. 

If you're looking to retain someone without the fear of another team making an offer sheet, just apply the 1st round tender or 2nd round tender at least then you're being compensated for not matching the offer sheet.

This would be the route to go, if were me.

If I get the Buccaneers, can I assign the coaching group as:
Head Coach: Russ Grimm
Offensive Coordinator: Todd Haley
Defensive Coordinator: Ray Horton

Currently Grimm is the Titans OL Coach (They have an assistant OL Coach too so it's not like grand theft), he was groomed for HC by Cowher and Whisenhunt so he's a legit candidate. Haley's contract expired with the Steelers, and is rumored to be maybe the Browns next OC, but I think in this scenario the Buccs would be a good at least equal opportunity. Ray Horton I believe hasn't had a job this year, and was last the Browns DC in the 2016 season.

Archived