Denver Nuggets Thread

RandyMossIsBoss

You guys think we re-sign Barton? And should we?

I could be wrong but with Jokic signed long term and the two jags opting in we are close to the luxury? If we re-sign Barton we go over just for this year only right? Since chandler, faried and darth’s contracts are up?

i hope we re-sign Barton, we have no SF and he is dynamic for us even with his hero ball at times.

22 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

You guys think we re-sign Barton? And should we?

I could be wrong but with Jokic signed long term and the two jags opting in we are close to the luxury? If we re-sign Barton we go over just for this year only right? Since chandler, faried and darth’s contracts are up?

i hope we re-sign Barton, we have no SF and he is dynamic for us even with his hero ball at times.

I think we will re-sign Barton unless Indiana throws significantly more money at him. I could see him signing a 1+1 PO deal for 28ish million so he could opt out next summer when everyone has cap space again. Or I could see us offering the 4/42 deal (maybe more $ per year) that we offered him last summer. I do think we should re-sign Barton, as long as it is a tradeable contract. 4/64ish would be too much. But realistically the team will really miss him next season if he's gone. No one is ready to step in and create on the ball like Barton does. FO probably loses their jobs if we miss the playoffs so I think they push hard to get him back. The FO loves him as a culture guy and I think he would be a great starting SF tbh. Defense would be trash but that team would be bonkers on the offensive end. 

We are in the luxury without Barton and are well into it if/when we re-sign him. They will be well under the tax at the end of the season, though, with Faried, Arthur, and Chandler expiring. Millsap also has a team option and I expect them to not pick it up. So over 60m would be coming off the books if they just played out the year and paid the tax.

Typically these expiring deals w/ decent players would be pretty easy to move, but there is such a cap crunch league wide due to the 2016 summer that it will be tougher to get off the deals. Getting the Faried contract off the books will save ownership like 30m or something like that when luxury tax is taken into account. The luxury is taken into account at the end of the season, but I expect them to move Faried this summer. He deserves to play somewhere and holding him hostage again would be pretty whack. Hopefully they don't have to give up a future first. Probably going to have to give up Beasley or another young player though. It sucks, but maybe they will get lucky. 

• Like 2

Yeah I am a fan of Barton, just not a fan of him at $15M/year which I think some team will be willing to pay him. We simply cannot afford that contract long term, and if he's even worth that much, it's only by a hair. 

That being said, as Champ said, it's winning time. I won't be too angry if we have to overpay him to keep him. That would be ideal if it was a short team deal, but I just can't shake the feeling that some team will come out and offer $60M/4 years.

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Yeah I am a fan of Barton, just not a fan of him at $15M/year which I think some team will be willing to pay him. We simply cannot afford that contract long term, and if he's even worth that much, it's only by a hair. 

That being said, as Champ said, it's winning time. I won't be too angry if we have to overpay him to keep him. That would be ideal if it was a short team deal, but I just can't shake the feeling that some team will come out and offer $60M/4 years.

Honestly not many teams have the money to pay him that, though. Indiana I think is the one real threat.

I wouldn't be shocked if there are essentially only a couple transactions this offseason

1. Re-sign Barton

2. Re-Sign T Craig

3.Dump Faried 

Love that we were able to lock down Will the thrill on what I think is a very fair deal, $54M over 4 years. 

See how we're trying to meet with Lebron? I mean I know it'll never happen, his ego is too big to go to small market, but I was thinking about it and between LA and Cleveland we 100% have more talent both long and short term. Can be argued that we have more talent short term than Philly as well, but it's pretty close. I think we're a better fit than Philly at least.... A man can dream.

21 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Love that we were able to lock down Will the thrill on what I think is a very fair deal, $54M over 4 years. 

See how we're trying to meet with Lebron? I mean I know it'll never happen, his ego is too big to go to small market, but I was thinking about it and between LA and Cleveland we 100% have more talent both long and short term. Can be argued that we have more talent short term than Philly as well, but it's pretty close. I think we're a better fit than Philly at least.... A man can dream.

I think it's a really fair deal. We were in the ball park and I was confident all along he was going to be back....but it's still awesome to get it done. I think Indiana probably drove the price up, but I believe 13.5 will be a moveable contract if need be when the cap space opens up again for teams. 

Houston apparently has interest in WC. If we were able to get off that deal without losing significant assets that would be dope. And I've thought about it and I think I prefer moving a 2019 first with Faried rather than any of Beasley/Juancho/Lyles. 

48 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think it's a really fair deal. We were in the ball park and I was confident all along he was going to be back....but it's still awesome to get it done. I think Indiana probably drove the price up, but I believe 13.5 will be a moveable contract if need be when the cap space opens up again for teams. 

Houston apparently has interest in WC. If we were able to get off that deal without losing significant assets that would be dope. And I've thought about it and I think I prefer moving a 2019 first with Faried rather than any of Beasley/Juancho/Lyles. 

For sure, I expect us to be in the playoffs next year, hopefully that pick will be in the 20s range. Those 3 guys help us more now than such a pick would.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:18 AM, champ11 said:

I'm really interested in seeing Monte Morris and Malik Beasley in summer league. They could have big roles on the team this year. Monte stepping up to be the backup PG would be huge. 

Both have been great tbh. I’m liking Cancar and Lydon, both can hit from distance and play with good control. I know Cancar requires a buyout so I wonder if we wait to bring him over? 

So we re-signed Craig which is nice because he’s the only player that can be a consistent D player. I hope that he can improve offensively especially shooting 3’s. I think he’s the 14th guaranteed contract now, so I wonder if we trade someone to make room for a summer league guy? Or are we allowed multiple two way contracts?

33 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Both have been great tbh. I’m liking Cancar and Lydon, both can hit from distance and play with good control. I know Cancar requires a buyout so I wonder if we wait to bring him over? 

Yeah I think we should keep Cancar overseas for now. No space for him on the current roster. I've heard he really looks like an NBA player though - haven't been able to catch the games.

Totally okay with Morris being our backup PG based on what I've seen and heard. Beasley hasn't gotten as good of reviews so it will be interesting to see how much he is in the rotation. 

We are allowed 2 2 way contracts.....I think Morris will get the last guaranteed spot and then Vanderbilt will probably get a two way. And then I think they might have already given Welsh a two way? I still wouldn't be shocked to see them move Faried with a younger player and open up some room. 

On 7/10/2018 at 6:10 AM, champ11 said:

Yeah I think we should keep Cancar overseas for now. No space for him on the current roster. I've heard he really looks like an NBA player though - haven't been able to catch the games.

Totally okay with Morris being our backup PG based on what I've seen and heard. Beasley hasn't gotten as good of reviews so it will be interesting to see how much he is in the rotation. 

We are allowed 2 2 way contracts.....I think Morris will get the last guaranteed spot and then Vanderbilt will probably get a two way. And then I think they might have already given Welsh a two way? I still wouldn't be shocked to see them move Faried with a younger player and open up some room. 

Cancar looks like NBA ready but like you said he’ll most likely stay which is fine since we have so many forwards.

With IT signing, Morris probably going to be on a two way deal. He could use time in the G league to work on his outside shot since he’s pretty good fishing and laying it in.

So.. Butler to Denver next year? Haha if DT’s recruiting ability lands us Butler, put DT in the RoF in Denver!

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly give this offseason an A. My predictions on this page were pretty on point (!!) and I think we outperformed any of my possible expectations. They invested in the core with the Jokic and Barton deals. I think re-signing Barton was absolutely essential and it's another example of them taking care of their guys. Indiana was chasing him as well and probably drove the price up, but I think it was a fair deal and I expect him to have a great year playing one role rather than having to do different things like he did last year. He earned that cash tbh. 

Giving Craig and Morris guaranteed deals was nice. Credit to the front office for finding a clear NBA player overseas and a backup PG (after IT leaves) with the 51st pick. I expect a decent amount of minutes for both players. Craig could earn a spot in the rotation over Beasley IMO and be an important situational defender....We don't have many of those lmao. And I think Morris will get spot minutes throughout the season with IT still being an injury risk and IT being an off ball threat as well. 

To move Chandler, Faried, and Arthur (30 + mill) for a couple second round picks and a protected first is a pretty fair. Moving the MPJ pick to get off Faried's deal was discussed and this result is so much better than that. I think their patience paid off and giving up the first was unavoidable. Still sucks that those deals didn't work out, but it's really nice to get the rotation clean. It's one thing to bail on assets bc the owners are cheap and don't want to pay for success - but it's another thing to pay a huge tax bill for 3 guys that don't help the team and crowd the rotation. It also would have started the clock on the repeater tax bill when they will hopefully be paying large tax amounts in a few years as a contender. So I think the criticism for ownership being cheap is unfair....they showed they are willing to pay their guys this offseason.

I love the IT signing. Low risk and high reward. The bench needed a playmaker with Will (who was iffy in that role anyways) in the starting lineup. I think guys like Plumlee, Lyles, Juancho are nice players but they need someone to set them up.....and IT can definitely be that guy. He'll probably shoot the Nuggets into a couple tough wins. Giving Morris another year to develop and giving IT a chance to play in a great situation and re-enter free agency next summer is a win-win. IT is also a niiiiice fit with Jokic offensively with how nice he is off ball and coming around screens but good god we will give up a lot of points. 

Draft was great. Watch some highlights on Jarred Vanderbilt from high school.....I absolutely love his fit with Jokic if he stays healthy. I'm not sold at all on MPJ but I love the reasoning and having a chance at another star developing is huge. 

The rotation is pretty set IMO. Backup wing is where I'm unsure. I just hope Juancho gets minutes bc I'm still high on him. 

Murray // Thomas 

Harris // Beasley or Craig

Barton // Hernangomez or Craig 

Millsap // Lyles

Jokic // Plumlee

• Like 1