2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

4 minutes ago, Regulators87 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I am very concerned Steelers are going to “settle” for a qb that is available at pick 20. Heck  as much as I am against taking a WR in rd 1, I would prefer a WR than any qb at that slot. I’m preparing to go “TV shopping” on April 29th.

This is my biggest concern. I'd rather us wait til next year if there is any doubt about the guys this year. I'm not a scout or a coach, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see these guys as sure fire 1st rounders in comparison to next year's class.

45 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If we give up a future 1st to move up, Colbert should be fired before the 2nd round starts. Yes, I'm dead serious.

I’m gonna do my BP a favor and NOT tune into the first round until pick 20, if at all. I think they're really gonna do it, in a perfect year to start a rebuild…during burrow’s 3rd year, and mayfield’s C2 situation, and Jackson’s close to it. During a deep draft everywhere but QB and an arms race in the AFC. SMFH po’d. I’ll be livid. 

Just now, SMashMouthMike said:

I’m gonna do my BP a favor and NOT tune into the first round until pick 20, if at all. I think they're really gonna do it, in a perfect year to start a rebuild…during burrow’s 3rd year, and mayfield’s C2 situation, and Jackson’s close to it. During a deep draft everywhere but QB and an arms race in the AFC. SMFH po’d. I’ll be livid. 

Got some bad news about that Mayfield C2 for ya

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

You guys aren’t serious with these Baker Mayfield takes, right?

That I'm willing to accept his presence on the roster for a singular season? Yes I'm serious.

I question his maturity and ego. His upside is, well I'm not sure he isn't already at his ceiling.  But I think he is also better than Trubisky.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That I'm willing to accept his presence on the roster for a singular season? Yes I'm serious.

I question his maturity and ego. His upside is, well I'm not sure he isn't already at his ceiling.  But I think he is also better than Trubisky.

Baker looked worse last year than Trubisky ever has, even in his worst season with the Bears. Even if you want to argue Baker is slightly better, it’s not even close to being worth it to deal with that guy in the locker room, not to mention that bad juju that comes with it. Trubisky fits our offense better with his mobility, has more untapped potential, and by all accounts is very well-liked in the locker room.  

38 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Baker looked worse last year than Trubisky ever has, even in his worst season with the Bears. Even if you want to argue Baker is slightly better, it’s not even close to being worth it to deal with that guy in the locker room, not to mention that bad juju that comes with it. Trubisky fits our offense better with his mobility, has more untapped potential, and by all accounts is very well-liked in the locker room.  

I have to agree with this.

I think Baker could turn it around to a point, but I dont think he has any better chance of becoming a franchise QB than Trubisky.

And they tendered Haskins....so they clearly wanna see what he has.

I dont think our long term future QB is on the roster, and that wouldn't change with  Baker.

Pass.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Got some bad news about that Mayfield C2 for ya

What? That we might pay it instead of the Browns? Maybe. Maybe a 1 or 2 year deal. We’re not winning any sb for 3 years if we went and drafted a 24 year old Tom Brady.  Loook at this AFC. Look at our roster. 

I’ll echo what another poster on a different forum said that I trust. If baker gets released, and we sign him for a cheap short contract, and this means we will not to reach for a qb in the top 10 this year, and miss out on picks that would let us get a better qb next year, let alone building our crap roster wuth young good and cheap talent…then I would sign Mayfield tomorrow. No question in my mind. 

if it’s competing with the the Browns plus Watson, I ain’t that scared. They gave him a ridiculous contract and gave away picks too I think.  They should beat our *** for the next 2 years. But they’ll mess it up or get injuries or have to let their other best talent go. Maybe they’ll just get beat by the bills the bengals the patriots the raiders, the broncos, the chargers the colts or the chiefs or the ravens. Wouldn’t surprise me. And they are in win now mode, lol.

This so far is a pretty decent rebuild imo. That can all go backwards if we mess up this draft and trade up for a qb that has a low floor. Which is the riskier transaction? Which one wins us the sb in the next 2 years? Neither. Which one is more likely to negaativly affect this years and next years drafts? 

could I be wrong? Yep. And I still think we skip baker, and trade up for Willis if he gets to 4 or 5. Hopefully Willis can become like MVick or a Wilson pretty quickly. Maybe kordell Stewart.  Lamar is a horrible nfl passer. Hurts is not that much better. Uggghhh. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

Can we pencil in Brandon Hunt as the next GM? He's been at every Pro Day that Tomlin and Colbert have, which they've never had him do before according to the Steelers Depot guys. Certainly seems like he's going to be having a very hands on role in their first round pick and they're ensuring he's as happy with the prospects as Tomlin and Colbert are.

I think I'd be ok with taking Ridder at 20. If Willis is gone, Ridder is the only one that has NFL traits. He can sit a year behind Mitch. All of Ridder's issues(which there aren't many) can be corrected with work. He's big enough. He's more than athletic enough. He's started a ton of games. He's not too old. He was my favorite QB prospect at the beginning of the process, and he's not done much to dissuade that notion. I'd rather not take one in the 1st at all, but I wouldn't need a new TV if we took Ridder. Though, I guess TVs are kind of expensive and a pain in the butt to get up on the wall so maybe choosing violence isn't the right answer at all. 

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think I'd be ok with taking Ridder at 20. If Willis is gone, Ridder is the only one that has NFL traits. He can sit a year behind Mitch. All of Ridder's issues(which there aren't many) can be corrected with work. He's big enough. He's more than athletic enough. He's started a ton of games. He's not too old. He was my favorite QB prospect at the beginning of the process, and he's not done much to dissuade that notion. I'd rather not take one in the 1st at all, but I wouldn't need a new TV if we took Ridder. Though, I guess TVs are kind of expensive and a pain in the butt to get up on the wall so maybe choosing violence isn't the right answer at all. 

On top of Ridder’s athletic ability he also has excellent pocket presence/pocket mobility and is a very fast processor reading defenses and going through progressions. He’s not a QB that drops his head and looks to run or panics as soon as he feels pressure, he has a great “feel” for where pressure is coming from and how to navigate it while keeping his eyes downfield. As you alluded to, these are the toughest traits to teach a young QB, you either have them or you don’t. 

I feel about the same on how my reaction would be. I would much rather add to the o-line or defense but I wouldn’t be as mad taking Ridder at 20 as I would be taking Pickett or anyone else not named Willis at 20. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

On top of Ridder’s athletic ability he also has excellent pocket presence/pocket mobility and is a very fast processor reading defenses and going through progressions. He’s not a QB that drops his head and looks to run or panics as soon as he feels pressure, he has a great “feel” for where pressure is coming from and how to navigate it while keeping his eyes downfield. As you alluded to, these are the toughest traits to teach a young QB, you either have them or you don’t. 

I feel about the same on how my reaction would be. I would much rather add to the o-line or defense but I wouldn’t be as mad taking Ridder at 20 as I would be taking Pickett or anyone else not named Willis at 20. 

Plus, I like that he's shown steady improvement throughout his college career. I mentioned it above, but I also like how much experience he has. 

• Like 1

I haven’t listened to the podcast yet but this thread goes on to suggest they hype on Willis is overblown and Pickett is the favorite to be the first QB taken.

Also notes that Daniel Jeremiah, who is annually one of the most accurate mock drafters and has very reliable sources, has the Steelers passing on Willis and him falling out of the 1st round entirely. 

• Like 1