2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm not sure it's quite that dire. There is still a ton that can happen that can eliminate teams from the need of QB.

If the Panthers take Kenny, Falcons/Seahawks take Willis, and the Saints take....I have no idea, but someone... that can eliminate them from making a big move next year. If Tua and Hurts play well, the Dolphins and Eagles won't be flipping their war chest for a QB either. Three of the 5 teams with double picks have been mentioned here now. So who knows?

Point being: this shouldn't change anything about how the Steelers are operating. If they like someone, take them. If not, wait. But as a casual observer who can only wish things happen -- I did not want a QB at all this year, but I think knowing about the capital some teams have next year is opening my mind again to them taking one this year. 

I have no idea what I’d do now. We have holes all over the place. I think I’d try to take cole Kelley flyer, and try very hard not to reach for any early QBs. This is not good. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

Oh I agree with you there.

I have a bunch more teams on that list.  My cap on paying DJ is about $12-15mil...tops...with incentives.  So if he wants more than that I would look to move him or to let him walk.  

I'll put as related but an aside: would have been nice to have conversations start with him now on a contract because if he's looking for that I rather be ahead of it and spend 2 picks and sign a vet over waiting to find out.

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'll put it this way:  If the Eagles called right now and offered 2 2nds for DJ, I would drive him across the state.  Or the Bills.  Definitely if the one team that should be calling does, Green Bay, and get a 1st out of them over multiple later picks.

I'm a fan of DJ and keeping him on the team, but I 100% agree with this path. Without a known quantity at QB right now, I am not sure what point paying $20M for a receiver. Give me the assets and the future flexibility until we lock in a QB. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

I'm a fan of DJ and keeping him on the team, but I 100% agree with this path. Without a known quantity at QB right now, I am not sure what point paying $20M for a receiver. Give me the assets and the future flexibility until we lock in a QB. 

I saw an interesting thread (not sure if I saw it here or elsewhere) but it highlighted how teams are either paying the WR's while the QB is cheap, or paying the QB and keeping the WR's cheap.

I know people laughed at the Eagles for the QB factory comment, but we are literally that for WR's.  We just failed at the cashing in at the right time part IMO.  

If we can have 2 rookie contract WRs, one fair contract WR, rookie contract QB, we can dump everything into paying a defense and OL.  That's a SB winning formula with the right QB.

33 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If we can have 2 rookie contract WRs, one fair contract WR, rookie contract QB, we can dump everything into paying a defense and OL.  That's a SB winning formula with the right QB.

That’s the model. We’ll see if they don’t try a Hail Mary on an early QB though. It certainly appears they want to. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

Guys, I’ve come the the conclusion that for better or worse it’s Ridder at #20. Only chance it’s not is if one of the blue chip defensive prospects like Stingley, Davis, or Hamilton fall due to a run a QBs ahead of us. 

It sucks, I like Ridder as a prospect but he wouldn’t sniff the 1st round in most other drafts. 

21 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Guys, I’ve come the the conclusion that for better or worse it’s Ridder at #20. Only chance it’s not is if one of the blue chip defensive prospects like Stingley, Davis, or Hamilton fall due to a run a QBs ahead of us. 

It sucks, I like Ridder as a prospect but he wouldn’t sniff the 1st round in most other drafts. 

Idk, I think they want Willis…badly. I like the kid, and he would be fun to watch cause I like running teams with great defenses, and he might be a kordell/shorter-Cunningham type. I think teams won’t know what to do with their safeties if he hits his peak and if we get a couple of deep threats and a kickass running game. But his floor is a worse jalen hurts, or a worse running Jackson that still can’t pass good enough. 

Ridder is safer if we don’t have to trade up. But I live around Cincy and he reminds me of a slightly more mobile Sam Bradford.

idk man. There’s a boatload of talent in this draft, but all the qbs seem to have low floors!

39 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

If we go Ridder at 20.... I mean first of all it means they forced the selection of a QB imo and secondly they're passing on much better prospects at other positions. Which is why i think you're right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Idk, I think they want Willis…badly. I like the kid, and he would be fun to watch cause I like running teams with great defenses, and he might be a kordell/shorter-Cunningham type. I think teams won’t know what to do with their safeties if he hits his peak and if we get a couple of deep threats and a kickass running game. But his floor is a worse jalen hurts, or a worse running Jackson that still can’t pass good enough. 

Ridder is safer if we don’t have to trade up. But I live around Cincy and he reminds me of a slightly more mobile Sam Bradford.

idk man. There’s a boatload of talent in this draft, but all the qbs seem to have low floors!

IF we draft Willis I hope he doesn't play a single down in 2022. Let the QB coach have him, coach him up, let him observe the game, listen to communications, etc. Then expose him in 2023. 

I think that is my biggest thing OK. Do I love any of these prospects this year at quarterback, no. Am I hell bent against it? No.

But I honestly don't see any of these guys as pro ready and I think that They are going to need time to develop before they touch the field so my concern is taking a guy that is not ready versus potentially taking a guy that could help us right now

7 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I'd take a pre-injury, more mobile, Sam Bradford for this team in a heartbeat. Ridder is my #2, behind Willis. If we got either of them at 20, I'd be content. Not overjoyed, but content. I think they both have the potential to be really solid QBs. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

IF we draft Willis I hope he doesn't play a single down in 2022. Let the QB coach have him, coach him up, let him observe the game, listen to communications, etc. Then expose him in 2023. 

Idk what I’d do. Maybe have some gimicky packages with him and try to teach him how to read defenses, protect himself from running around like a headless chicken. I’d want to know by the end of his second season without exposing him to the nfl too much.  It’s not gonna be easy. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd take a pre-injury, more mobile, Sam Bradford for this team in a heartbeat. Ridder is my #2, behind Willis. If we got either of them at 20, I'd be content. Not overjoyed, but content. I think they both have the potential to be really solid QBs. 

Did he win any playoffs games, I can’t remember his teams.