Travon Walker

nagahide13

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Taking a DT at #2 who never had more than 5 TFLs or 2.5 sacks in a season in his college career (despite a lot of starting experience) would be a very questionable choice. I get the allure of the workout numbers that guys like Jordan Davis or Travon Walker put up, but if it's me, I'd take Kayvon if forced to stay at #2. Walker has monstrous upside, but he's a complete question mark as a pass rusher. And as dominant as Jordan Davis is as a run stuffer, he never stood out in college as a pass rusher. 

Jordan Davis wasn't really used that way so seems unfair. To me that's like criticizing a safety for not getting TFLs even though he was never used around the line. Davis had tons of double-teams and constantly pushed the pocket. 

That said, Walker...yeah, all upside. He was a second rounder until the combine. Meh. Davis was a 1st round nose tackle, which is saying something, before the combine. 

But yeah, Kayvon would probably be the guy at 2. I'm just saying Davis is in another league from Walker.

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Jordan Davis wasn't really used that way so seems unfair. To me that's like criticizing a safety for not getting TFLs even though he was never used around the line. Davis had tons of double-teams and constantly pushed the pocket. 

That said, Walker...yeah, all upside. He was a second rounder until the combine. Meh. Davis was a 1st round nose tackle, which is saying something, before the combine. 

But yeah, Kayvon would probably be the guy at 2. I'm just saying Davis is in another league from Walker.

It's not like criticizing a safety who isn't around the line because Davis literally played on the DL. You don't draft a guy at #2 to eat double teams and push the pocket. Jordan Davis wasn't used as a penetrator because that's not his game. The guy can be a great player in the NFL in the right role. But that role isn't valuable enough to take him at #2 overall.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's not like criticizing a safety who isn't around the line because Davis literally played on the DL. You don't draft a guy at #2 to eat double teams and push the pocket. Jordan Davis wasn't used as a penetrator because that's not his game. The guy can be a great player in the NFL in the right role. But that role isn't valuable enough to take him at #2 overall.

Maybe the more apt analogy is comparing the sack totals off MLB and OLB in a 3-4. But anyway, I agree that I wouldn't take him at 2. I was just saying he's very good and gets doubled all day. Walker isn't, played a position that gets more sacks and still didn't do much. It was more about that. 

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1