Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

If you watch the pennies the dollars will take care of themself cap wise. Assume we keep one of the tackles as a backup. I'll roll with the rookies as backups. There will always be vets on the street in case of an emergency where we have to break the glass. 

I'm not convinced Newman would be as good as a rookie we grab in round 4, hypothetically. We could also add a vet to compete with my boy Rhyan prior to TC. 

Again, we differ on the value of Newman.  The dollars saved by cutting him aren't worth it in my book, unless we draft someone who can start right away at guard and Rhyan is the first IOL off the bench.  

On 4/1/2024 at 9:11 AM, wgbeethree said:

I was just talking about this with family.  It's a deep draft for OL and we just lost 3 guys I was comfortable with playing. Newman, who I wouldn't be excited about, is the only backup I wouldn't be VERY worried about having to play any significant amount. I think we are much thinner on the OL than probably most fans. Adding four guys to that room almost feels like a necessity to me. 

yea I'm with you, we're adding 4 bodies because Newman will be off this team eventually

(and lowkey maybe Myers) 

Edited by persiandud
could be 3 draft picks and UDFA
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:43 AM, vegas492 said:

Again, we differ on the value of Newman.  The dollars saved by cutting him aren't worth it in my book, unless we draft someone who can start right away at guard and Rhyan is the first IOL off the bench.  

I do think that if we draft a guard type early who at least competes with Rhyan for week 1 (Barton, JPJ, Beebe and a few others could do this), then Newman immediately becomes expendable. Even more if we add 3 to the o-line in the first 5 rounds (which is my current expectation)

On 4/1/2024 at 7:54 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the unknown regarding "how many OL they want to draft" is going to be how they feel about signing Meyers to a 2nd contract.  If they're hesitant to pay the going rate for him, all bets are off for how many OL they take.

Anything over 10 million a year would be a gross overpay for Myers.

• Like 1