Post draft and UDFA

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, eagles suck said:

I really don’t get all the hate on Ferguson. He’s a very good zone blocker and has very good hands as a catcher.

He played with bad QB play in a tough big Ten his collegiate career.

I think his route running was improved from last year and will only get better.

The NFL peanut butter will give him more strength as a blocker so I really don’t think it was a bad pick.

So if we trade up for Kolar you are sending our 178 pick Ridgeway to another team. I think we needed that pick

I think Ferguson is an alright value, actually. He’s a solid, well rounded #2 TE.

My main issue is that I thought there was a pretty significant shelf of TEs with legitimate #1 potential in the 4th round (Otton, Bellinger, and Kolar). So in my book, that was a fairly steep drop off.

If you trade #178, Ridgeway could still fall to you in the 6th. You could use a future pick to trade up for him if he’s that crucial to your draft strategy (which, considering they waited on him until their last pick in the 6th, I would say he probably was not that important).

Finally got around to watching Ferguson.

I see why the staff liked him: he blocks whole wheartedly and has even kick slide out into pass protection. He has typical TE frame, OK hands (catches well, nothing wrong there nor positively notable), and works at the seam area with the basic TE route tree often enough to be confident in his ability to do it at the next level.

He is, essentially, just as Dalton Schultz was as a rookie.

I honestly dislike selecting any TE in any draft unless youre getting that WR athlete like the kids in Atlanta or Miami...because you can usually land good contributors and good players  for good prices at TE in free agency. And usually, develop an undrafted kid all the same as a mid round pick, because most TEs that young/raw share the same basic set of skills. Theyre usually all so clumped together.

Its a lack luster pick in a draft class where luster is lacking already. So i get the overall shrug at the pick. But I also see enough Schultz in Ferguson tonsee why they picked him.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

7 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

So they panicked and reached for a player? Not the 1st time or team to do so. 

FWIW, Sturm says that Cowboys sources preferred Ferguson, and would have drafted him over Kolar. That does make me feel good.

He did say Ferguson was a fallback option to other TEs. McBride would have been a real consideration at #56, and Rucker/Otten were round 4 priorities that got drafted before they were in trade up range.

I don't really agree with all those draft grades.  I see us though as a B to b+ average.... still only 5 of them were C or below so most close to what I though,   But I also see that these grades are mostly useless..   Minny for example got four A or A- while still getting a grade of f and D -  both lower they are lowest so I think the grades are more about Dallas didn't get who they wanted them to get and graded accordingly rather then grading the actually usefulness/value of the player they drafted

I just need to remember to trust the system... as only one team in the NFL has produced more pro-bowlers in the draft since 2013 and that is the Baltimore Ravens...

Edited by quiller

We really got lucky on day 2 of the draft.

In a scenario where someone snipes De Williams or Jalen Tolbert, you likely end up with basically the same draft class except missing one of those player for an upgrade at TE from Ferguson to Otton (picked at #88 in both cases)

I would feel so much worse about those outcomes.