How to fix this OL

indifference

The truth of the matter is the Buccaneers only have two good starters with this unit. Marpet and Dotson are playing above average ball but everyone else is either average or below average in some aspect. I'll start with Donovan Smith first.

The former second round pick has been "OK" at best. He has the size to be a cornerstone player but he just doesn't have the feet to play the position. And his run blocking is underwhelming already trying block DE's. A switch inside to guard? Don't think it'd be much of help to him. He just doesn't have the dog in him to finish blocks. The effort is lacking in that department, either he may be borderline shape or just doesn't have it in him. Listening to him talk he comes off as a guy that's just here for the checks. Either way, I don't want him at LT next year or heading forward. His pass blocking is bad and his run blocking is hit or miss.

Kevin Pamphile. Got good value from him in the draft, I think we got him in the 5th round? Pamphile is sound in pass blocking but he just doesn't push people around enough for me at LG. The last LG that we had worth a damn was Carl Nicks. Kevin doesn't really push the pile in the game and it hinders the players next to him to do their jobs. Evans Smith does a better job at run blocking but his issue is pass pro. Which is why you see the platoon swap. All for a contract extension with Pamphile, think he'd be a great 6th man.

JR Sweezy. I hate to say it but this has been a disappointing signee by Licht. Guy could not even play last year due to the back injury so we paid him for free really. This year, I'm just really meh on his ability in general. Great effort player, finishes blocks at the POA, and doesn't commit many penalties. Not strong in pass pro, solid run blocker though but not NEARLY good enough for the money we paid him.

Bucs should look for 3 new starters next year on the line. Nate Solder is a FA from the Patriots, and he's only 29. We probably should look at adding him and invest a middle round pick on a guard/center in the third round. A Solder and Norwell acquisition next off-season could do wonders next year. I'm just glad that the inability to run the football was exposed with our "starting 5" DK was leaning on. Looks like we'll need to make some changes to get that going. Just unrealistic to expect a third year QB to win every single game for you with his arm. I don't think DK expected that out of Jameis either but boy did his lack of foresight of this OL is killing this team.

22 hours ago, indifference said:

The truth of the matter is the Buccaneers only have two good starters with this unit. Marpet and Dotson are playing above average ball but everyone else is either average or below average in some aspect. I'll start with Donovan Smith first.

The former second round pick has been "OK" at best. He has the size to be a cornerstone player but he just doesn't have the feet to play the position. And his run blocking is underwhelming already trying block DE's. A switch inside to guard? Don't think it'd be much of help to him. He just doesn't have the dog in him to finish blocks. The effort is lacking in that department, either he may be borderline shape or just doesn't have it in him. Listening to him talk he comes off as a guy that's just here for the checks. Either way, I don't want him at LT next year or heading forward. His pass blocking is bad and his run blocking is hit or miss.

Kevin Pamphile. Got good value from him in the draft, I think we got him in the 5th round? Pamphile is sound in pass blocking but he just doesn't push people around enough for me at LG. The last LG that we had worth a damn was Carl Nicks. Kevin doesn't really push the pile in the game and it hinders the players next to him to do their jobs. Evans Smith does a better job at run blocking but his issue is pass pro. Which is why you see the platoon swap. All for a contract extension with Pamphile, think he'd be a great 6th man.

JR Sweezy. I hate to say it but this has been a disappointing signee by Licht. Guy could not even play last year due to the back injury so we paid him for free really. This year, I'm just really meh on his ability in general. Great effort player, finishes blocks at the POA, and doesn't commit many penalties. Not strong in pass pro, solid run blocker though but not NEARLY good enough for the money we paid him.

Bucs should look for 3 new starters next year on the line. Nate Solder is a FA from the Patriots, and he's only 29. We probably should look at adding him and invest a middle round pick on a guard/center in the third round. A Solder and Norwell acquisition next off-season could do wonders next year. I'm just glad that the inability to run the football was exposed with our "starting 5" DK was leaning on. Looks like we'll need to make some changes to get that going. Just unrealistic to expect a third year QB to win every single game for you with his arm. I don't think DK expected that out of Jameis either but boy did his lack of foresight of this OL is killing this team.

Understandable that the Bucs will probably need 3 new starters but in reality, you can't fill all holes in FA. You can make an argument that an entire new DL is needed in Tampa as well along with a Corner and safety. 

I say move Donavan smith inside at Guard. Keep Marpet at C. Dotson we can manage another year. Keep pamphile. 

I like your idea on solder and Norwell but only one is realistic. 

From what I have read early on the draft apparently is deeper in interior linemen then tackles.  Maybe going after a vet tackle to secure the LT spot might be the ticket.   I wouldn' mind seeing Pamphile getting some extended time at LT, but as long as Smith is healthy,  this regime seems unwilling to make any changes.

Archived