NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Jordan went to the playoffs while doing it.  Beal couldn't win enough games to matter.  Hell he only played 2/3 of those seasons so if he played the full season he likely wouldn't have finished that high.  Empty stats mean nothing to me.  A lot of guys are great on bad teams and then when they have to fit into a system, they struggle. 

And yes, taking a few more shots a game is different than taking 12 more shots a game.  Beal and Sexton play the same role.  Beal was a bigger ball hog, Sexton didn't need to take as many shots or his coach wouldnt let him, because he knows it leads to a bunch of L's like Beal got. 

Beal is one of only 6 players in NBA history to have back to back 30+ ppg seasons so guys aren't doing as great as great as he has on bad teams. I think Beal like Booker or LaVine would be a nice addition to a contending team, he's just not able to lift one of the least talented teams in the league like LeBron James, nothing wrong with that. 

Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, etc. couldn't win as the guy...

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Players to average 30+ PPG in back-to-back seasons since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976:

Adrian Dantley

Michael Jordan - seven straight

Allen Iverson - twice

Kobe Bryant

James Harden - three straight

Bradley Beal

Russ is the all time leader in triple doubles, averaged a triple double a couple years in a row.  His team didnt win with it and he has bounced around the league since his age 29 season because his style is not conducive to winning.  Beal is the scoring equivalent of that.  He did something that is impressive on bad teams.  He will not do that on good teams that have other scorers and he will be considered overpaid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Beal is one of only 6 players in NBA history to have back to back 30+ ppg seasons so guys aren't doing as great as great as he has on bad teams. I think Beal like Booker or LaVine would be a nice addition to a contending team, he's just not able to lift one of the least talented teams in the league like LeBron James, nothing wrong with that. 

Book and Lavine play defense.  If their scoring dips, they have defense to hang their hat on.  Beal has been a bottom 5 defender.  If I am giving a big contract to a guy moving to a new system, I dont want to have to depend on them to do something they havent done if their scoring slips. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Book and Lavine play defense.  If their scoring dips, they have defense to hang their hat on.  Beal has been a bottom 5 defender.  If I am giving a big contract to a guy moving to a new system, I dont want to have to depend on them to do something they havent done if their scoring slips. 

Booker was viewed just like Beal his first 5 seasons and when has LaVine played defense?

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Beal like Booker or LaVine would be a nice addition to a contending team, he's just not able to lift one of the least talented teams in the league like LeBron James, nothing wrong with that. 

This is the point though. You don't want to pay that guy $50 mil/year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Russ is the all time leader in triple doubles, averaged a triple double a couple years in a row.  His team didnt win with it and he has bounced around the league since his age 29 season because his style is not conducive to winning.  Beal is the scoring equivalent of that.  He did something that is impressive on bad teams.  He will not do that on good teams that have other scorers and he will be considered overpaid. 

We've literally never seen Beal in a good situation so how can you say that he's not someone that could help a good team? Wiggins couldn't either, funny what happened when he went somewhere good...

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Booker was viewed just like Beal his first 5 seasons and when has LaVine played defense?

Both have been better defenders than Beal, by far.  Lavine was not as good this year as the last two. He is also 2 years younger.  He also probably isn't worth the max deal he will get but I'd much rather pay him than Beal.  Lavine showed he can score in a system with other talent around him and win games.  Beal has never done that.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Both have been better defenders than Beal, by far.  Lavine was not as good this year as the last two. He is also 2 years younger.  He also probably isn't worth the max deal he will get but I'd much rather pay him than Beal.  Lavine showed he can score in a system with other talent around him and win games.  Beal has never done that.  

What about in 2016 when he did it on a 49 win team? lol

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

That's the point.  No one is saying he is ***, just that he isn't someone a good team is paying a max deal to.

If Beal became available I'm sure Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, and more would be interested in acquiring him.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

If Beal became available I'm sure Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, and more would be interested in acquiring him.

I could see the overpay if you think he is the final piece to try to win a championship, but you better have a #1 option already, and you can kiss flexibility goodbye.  Also don't expect him to score 30+ on a better team with other scorers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We've literally never seen Beal in a good situation so how can you say that he's not someone that could help a good team? Wiggins couldn't either, funny what happened when he went somewhere good...

Wiggins was seen as an awful contract at 31 mil/year, and he turned himself into one of the better 3&D guys in the NBA. Beal doesn't seem the type to give up shots to become a gritty role player.