D82's Way Too Early (Or Is It?) Mock Off-Season

D82

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Nice draft. Although I wished you would have addressed the tackle position with a starter.

I'm good with Smith and Collins as our OTs moving forward unless a really good OT fell into our laps. In this scenario, it didn't happen. 

5 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Props for the effort, I could never do something like this.

JG won't be fired. JJ will just blame Zeke being suspended for this lost season rather than blaming JG.

Eh, ya never know. I don't think it'll happen either, but for the purpose of this I thought I'd get a little creative. 

I really like Austin and think he's going to be a good one when he gets a chance.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:32 AM, flyingmonkey30 said:

Don't know much about these coaches, but I do know I'd like to see Eberflus get a serious look as a DC. His experience in a variety of defenses should help him craft a fun scheme.

Eberflus is the next man up. He has seen it all and been around the team a while now, and had shadowed Kiffin for an entire season according to Broaddus on an old episode of Talkin Cowboys. 

I have a feeling this team is looking for continuity now, no more.bringing in fresh faces and new schemes but promoting youth from within who have learned the ropes and studied the current schemes to nauseum. And that isnt a bad thing either. If you look at most of the big perennial competitor teams, they all keep continuity even after disappointing years or a poor couple of years.

The more you change a system, a message, a teams identity, and its leadership, the more set yourself back. And if the new leadership, message, system and mold fails, you bring in a new regime and yet again set yourself back.

We have seen this mold, this identity, this message, this leadership, work quite well. The problems really are laying elsewhere so far this season - poor play by the OL early on, a broomstick being a better.option at LT than Chaz Green last week, Lee hurt, an entirely new secondary, a sophmore QB having to shoulder the burden of highly inconsistent receiver play and even more inconsistent blocking while usually playing from behind due to poor defense, and.simply matching up against some darn good teams early who started very got (Rams and Broncos).

But despite all that, this team has won some tough outings too, against much better rosters...like Kansas City. 

So yeah, dont think continuity with this regime is a bad thing. I think we have a good system in place and continuing them can only help, not hurt.

As for Teryl Austin...time will tell. Good gameplanning kinda guy. But good play callers and gameplanners dont always make good coaches. Personally, if we look at good play callers, gameplanners, play designers etc deserving of a possible promotion..theres two Id keep an eye out for.

Van Pelt in Green Bay, whos been part of many successful schemes, coached a good share of productive QBs, and has put together a lot of styles of gameplanning..and Mike Vrabel, Houstons DC, who has been around some of the best coaches of all time in Belichick and Parcells as a player, been part of a staff and a player in 3 very successful versions of the same defensive concept (and likely has mastered better than any young coach out there right now) and has played a role in sculpting a fearsome front 7 in houston even without the best DL in the league with Watt out.

Ok time to prepare for the game. Thanks for reading my anxiously awaiting Sunday Night rant.

14 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Can we draft a coach good at making halftime adjustments ??

This is my issue too, and why I just changed my thoughts on the staff. Our coaches seem to be behind the times. They have their gameplan, and whether it’s working or not, they stick to it. It’s frustrating seeing these new coaches (Pederson, McVay, Joseph) outscheme and outcoach our staff. Obviously @Dallas94Ware would provide better insight as to what is happening, but that is what my untrained eye sees

Archived