After Two Weeks Of Training Camp, What Are the Biggest Issues For the Lions

Just Want A Title

I have been trying to keep up on Lions training camp news and observation.  Coming to the end of training camp, here is what I see as our biggest problems:

1.  What do we have with Jeff Okudah?--He is competing with Will Harris and has looked good for the most part but how is this even a competition?  I know he hasn't played a lot but I keep waiting for Okudah to "arrive".  I thought being fully healthy and being able to work as CB#1 from the start of camp would push him forward.  Maybe steady progress is the best kind of progress for him.

2.  OT Depth--Penei Sewell is poised to be a monster RT.  Taylor Decker is a very good LT.  What do we have beyond that?  Matt Nelson doesn't seem to be progressing.  Obinna Eze has a tone of physical potential but is still pretty raw.  I know they just brought in someone but I think this is an area of concern

3.  LB Talent--Malcom Rodriguez has been a badly needed surprise but his size presents some legitimate concerns.  Chris Board will probably carve out a solid role.  The same goes for Alex Anzalone and Derrick Barnes.  Our LBs seem like a group of role-players without a true bluechip/alpha-dog LB.  This could be a real problem because......

4.  DT Talent--Alim McNeil looks poised for a big jump in year 2.  Onwuzurike is dealing with another injury and John Penisini retired.  Brockers is more of a rotational player at this point.  Maybe Demetrius Taylor steps up but for now, this could be a real problem for the defense.

How does everyone else see things?

Although others will probably sharply disagree...Okudah has played what 10 games? I still consider him a rookie/beginning of year 2 player. Was he worth the 3rd? At this point nope. But if he can get better and not be a hazard, that's a plus for me. I'm hoping the issue with Okudah not beating out Harris has more to do with Harris than Okudah, but that may not be what it is.

OT depth is a little concerning, but they just brought in Lamm so that should help. Not earth shattering, but it should help. Honestly, if we are worried about our depth, that is a lot better of a place than last year so I'll take it.

I'm worried about our LB, but I don't think Rodriguez is the one I'm worried about. I think he's a baller who doesn't know he's short. I'll take it. Barnes I'm worried about. I think he's just going to be a 3-5 year player then gone. Just a rotational player. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it in him.

Our DT's. Outside of McNeil, we still don't have much. I'm always big on interior line play. I'm hoping our ends can get pressure to take the heat off the DT, but I'm still afraid we're going to get gouged up the middle. I like those big bodied guys you can't move to stop the run to let the ends pin their ears back and go at the qb. We're not there yet. This is why I really liked Jordan Davis out of Georgia. I felt it fixed this issue, and that is not to take away from selecting Williams.

Our WR are now a strength, or at least that's how I've been reading all the articles. We are going to have to get off the field to use them though. Hopefully McNeil will be enough because as of now Onwuzurike can't seem to stay healthy. If that changes, this D will look different, but I do think next year an IDL would be a very nice higher pick to take in the first 3 rounds.

Goff...This whole season all comes back to Goff. And no one seems to sure of what we have in him yet. But now he has no excuses compared to last year.

I'm high on this team and starting to drink Kool-Aid which is always famous last words around here. But they are building something, and I've always said they need to make the team in the style of the city...which is exactly what Campbell is trying to do. I still think we are a 6-9 win team. We still need experience and some more players, especially on the defense. Hopefully we can pick up some pieces after cuts are made.

Everything I have read has said Okudah has looked really good this camp.  But I have also heard Harris has looked good.  Its an open competition for the starting spot and they wont announce a winner before the first pre-season game.  I walso wouldn't be shocked if both of them are out there quite a bit given the multi-WR sets everyone runs. I am excited to see Okudah but as @LionArkie said, he really is a rookie/going into his second year based on missed camps and games.  And he is coming off an injury so he likely won't just automatically be a shut down corner right away.  

Defensive backs as a whole are something I am keeping an eye on.  Obviously better pressure should help but we have added a lot to our Dbs as well and moved a lot of guys around.  Harris to CB, Melifonwu to S, Added FA Deshon Elliot, drafted Kerby Joseph.  Will be interesting to see what kind of production we can get out of that second S spot and who really steps up to take it over.  I wouldnt be shocked to see 3 S at times with a lot of our DBs having experience playing both. 

DT has been a big concern for me.  Everything I have read has said guys like Paschal will be there for passing downs with McNeil.  Levi being hurt again with another back injury makes me nervous because of how they linger and sneak back up quickly.  I wouldn't be shocked if we add another DT after cuts.  That being said, there have been some positives from Cornell and Hector being good against the run and Taylor and Cominsky being solid against the pass.  Just have to play situationally most likely and keep rotating guys.  I am hoping some of the lack of production in camp is due to our O LIne being really good. 

WR is still a concern until we get Williams back and up to speed IMO.  We obviously are much improved but still have Chark coming off a serious injury and the depth of Reynolds, Raymond, Cephus isnt super exciting to me but hopefully good enough for 4/5 guys.  I think this is going to be a strength but need to see it in action first. 

LB is our weakest position IMO, even weaker than DT.  Nobody there excites me or makes me comfortable, especially with a struggling D Line against the run.  I think this is an area we need to approach early in the draft next year.  It sounds like Rodriguez is flashing but is raw and smaller so will be interesting t watch throughout the preseason to see how LB plays out.  I am not sure anyone is safe to be considered a starter and also none are safe to be on the roster at all.  If you ignore draft capital and contracts, they all seem pretty even with a ton to prove at this point. 

I think that you have the worry about the back-end of the defense. Tracy Walker is really good, and Oriwariye is a good #2 corner, but I'm not confident in any of our other DB's or LB's to be more than inconsistent or average. For the defense to be a solid unit the line is going to have to play top-notch football. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm just going to throw this out there... Ndamukong Suh is still a FA. 

I would love it, and he played with Dan Campbell here.  But he likely will get a chance with a contender if he wants to play so not sure why he would come here. Vegas has him leaning to the Vikings, Raiders, and Rams but would be nice if he came back to finish where he started and help push us towards the playoffs.