OT Duane Brown Signs With the Jets

Abe56

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

There is literally zero reason to suspect he won't be an average OT this year

I mean, he’ll be the oldest(?) starting offensive linemen in the league, I wouldn’t say there’s literally zero reason for any suspicion…

Point stands, though. He played pretty well last year AFAIK, he’s certainly expected to be a starting/gap caliber guy. Not a bum.

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, he’ll be the oldest(?) starting offensive linemen in the league, I wouldn’t say there’s literally zero reason for any suspicion…

Point stands, though. He played pretty well last year AFAIK, he’s certainly expected to be a starting/gap caliber guy. Not a bum.

Fair enough.  I mean he was old last year too.  OL has shown to be able to play well into their late 30's so not out of the question to replicate another solid year.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

Ok So you admit he’s not a good LT anymore and good LT’s aren’t left on the free agent market in august. Thanks 

Most teams can't even field league average OT's at both spots so if that's how you want to spin it by all means.  Getting a guy who graded out better the Morgan Moses last year who we lost in FA is a win at this stage.  Fact is he's better than about half of the starting OT's based on last years play that includes guys that got signed earlier so carry on.

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fair enough.  I mean he was old last year too.  OL has shown to be able to play well into their late 30's so not out of the question to replicate another solid year.

I hear you. If you can bet on any non-QB playing well into their late 30s, it’s usually the tackles. He did it well enough last season in a worse spot (albeit with a better QB). That said 37’s still old, his cliff is going to be here sooner or later lol. 

Think it’s an ideal signing for NYJ after liking Becton, especially this late into the summer. Guy’s solid. We’ll see the structure, but doesn’t look like that bad of a deal either. In all honesty, I too have an urge to “lol Jets” in situations like this, but JD’s been great and it’s hard to really pick at him at all. Unfortunate that Wilson will make or break him, because even if Wilson flames out, there’s been great progress everywhere else.

EDIT: Interesting to see where him and Fant go as far as sides. Can’t imagine Brown comes in wanting to play a new side.

Edited by Yin-Yang