Bills extend TE Dawson Knox (4 years)

RaidersAreOne

hefty price tag for a te who is still trying to find his way. Coming off 9 td season seems like the smart move but what does that mean for guys like Edmunds and Poyer. I know this is an offensive league but the identity of the defense could be coming at the cost for a TE. Hopefully Beane can find some balance to prevent key players on defense from leaving. We cant start looking like KC in which their defense has taken a step back due to the offense. McD is still a defensive mind hc and losing out in a young talent like Edmunds or an elite talent at safety like Poyer will be harder to fill come next offseason

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

hefty price tag for a te who is still trying to find his way. Coming off 9 td season seems like the smart move but what does that mean for guys like Edmunds and Poyer. I know this is an offensive league but the identity of the defense could be coming at the cost for a TE. Hopefully Beane can find some balance to prevent key players on defense from leaving. We cant start looking like KC in which their defense has taken a step back due to the offense. McD is still a defensive mind hc and losing out in a young talent like Edmunds or an elite talent at safety like Poyer will be harder to fill come next offseason

Can’t keep everyone but I think it’s disingenuous to say the identity of the defense could be coming at the cost of a TE. Having a franchise QB is what makes GMs jobs with the salary cap hard. I’d rather keep the potential number 2 target in the offense than a 31 year old safety. Even if he is playing at a high level. 

Bills have been drafting and developing to replace guys on defense. That’s where the coaches expertise are. 

24 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Can’t keep everyone but I think it’s disingenuous to say the identity of the defense could be coming at the cost of a TE. Having a franchise QB is what makes GMs jobs with the salary cap hard. I’d rather keep the potential number 2 target in the offense than a 31 year old safety. Even if he is playing at a high level. 

Bills have been drafting and developing to replace guys on defense. That’s where the coaches expertise are. 

I understand having a franchise qb hard but to pay a te right now after having 1 semi-good season and very little history seems a bit risky especially when we know the backbone of the defense has been poyer and hyde since Mcd and Beane got here. Age is a non issue to me if your performing at a high level and have been top tier talent at 31 with history of top tier safeties playing until 36-38 years old that should put poyer in a comfortable 3 year deal. I think it would be easier to replace Knox then it would be poyer hopefully both get locked in long term and wont have to worry about losing much next year