I don't care what happens in the Houston game

coffeedrinker

My original post was made before half time.

I give a lot of credit to the players for fighting back and making a game of it.  I still don't like Reich as a HC.  Assuming the rest of the game plays out the same way (which we know it wouldn't but since I'm not smart enough to do the chaos theory math, this is all I can do).  If the Colts take a 6-0 lead instead of turning the ball over Pittman's TD catch would have been for the win rather than the tie.

The truly funny thing is, even with as bad as Reich is as a HC... he was not the worst HC in the game.  Lovie Smith punting the ball to settle for the tie made him the worst HC in the NFL this weekend.  I will be really surprised if the Texans do not end up with the worst record in the NFL. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, coffeedrinker said:

I think it's time to consider moving on from Frank Reich.  I'm tired of watching watching him leave points on the board because he wants base all decisions on analytics. 

Just heard, 8 straight opening day losses.  That is all on the coach.

One week later and nothing changed 

• Like 1

So, the Colts put out a W against the unstoppable Chiefs.

because I pride myself on being honest if it that proves a previous assertion of mine incorrect.

Reich had the team ready to play this week.  The Defensive game plan was spot on and the team seemed fired up and they played a 60 minute game.

I, however, do not feel confident with the win, quite frankly I think the Colts got lucky... they scored two TDs, one they got the ball on the 4 yard line after a muffed punt.  The other, they were stopped, got a fortunate penalty and took advantage.  I give them credit for taking advantage and there was some good play calling in that last 5 minutes.  But the offense has been stagnant and predictable.  A big reason for that, IMO, is you can usually tell what type of play they are going to run based on the personnel and formation.  Maybe it's a philosophy thing but I am a big believe that you have groups of plays that all look the same to start.  That was why the stretch play/PAP used to work so well for Manning and the Colts... until Manning pulled the ball out of James' gut, the plays looked exactly the same and when you are 0.5-0.6 seconds into a play before the D knows what is happening, that is a benefit for the offense.  Now the Colts philosophy seems to be the play designs are so great, if everyone wins their individual assignments the play will be a huge success.  The thing is though, when things become predictable it gets harder and harder for the offensive players to win their individual assignments.

Just now, coffeedrinker said:

So, the Colts put out a W against the unstoppable Chiefs.

because I pride myself on being honest if it that proves a previous assertion of mine incorrect.

Reich had the team ready to play this week.  The Defensive game plan was spot on and the team seemed fired up and they played a 60 minute game.

I, however, do not feel confident with the win, quite frankly I think the Colts got lucky... they scored two TDs, one they got the ball on the 4 yard line after a muffed punt.  The other, they were stopped, got a fortunate penalty and took advantage.  I give them credit for taking advantage and there was some good play calling in that last 5 minutes.  But the offense has been stagnant and predictable.  A big reason for that, IMO, is you can usually tell what type of play they are going to run based on the personnel and formation.  Maybe it's a philosophy thing but I am a big believe that you have groups of plays that all look the same to start.  That was why the stretch play/PAP used to work so well for Manning and the Colts... until Manning pulled the ball out of James' gut, the plays looked exactly the same and when you are 0.5-0.6 seconds into a play before the D knows what is happening, that is a benefit for the offense.  Now the Colts philosophy seems to be the play designs are so great, if everyone wins their individual assignments the play will be a huge success.  The thing is though, when things become predictable it gets harder and harder for the offensive players to win their individual assignments.

Its a tough call. I agree with you. It's also fair to point out that our drubbing at the hand of Jags.....the worst team in the NFL.....seems premature.........as the Jags are far from the worst team in the NFL. There is still no other coach that I want motivating our players. I think it would be worth handing over the OC duties however. 

1 hour ago, Warhorse said:

Its a tough call. I agree with you. It's also fair to point out that our drubbing at the hand of Jags.....the worst team in the NFL.....seems premature.........as the Jags are far from the worst team in the NFL. There is still no other coach that I want motivating our players. I think it would be worth handing over the OC duties however. 

Good point on the Jags, althugh I did say Houston will be the worst team in the NFL this year, I said the Jags are just right down there at the bottom with them.  But I'm still going to hold off an the Jag praise for a couple of weeks at least.  Beating the Colts and a Charger team that was missing 23% of their starters and a QB who, probably felt like he was getting stabbed in the ribs with a butcher knife every time he moved gives me pause about the greatness of the Jags :)

But if it continues, I will come back and say they are not the worst team in the NFL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

Good point on the Jags, althugh I did say Houston will be the worst team in the NFL this year, I said the Jags are just right down there at the bottom with them.  But I'm still going to hold off an the Jag praise for a couple of weeks at least.  Beating the Colts and a Charger team that was missing 23% of their starters and a QB who, probably felt like he was getting stabbed in the ribs with a butcher knife every time he moved gives me pause about the greatness of the Jags :)

But if it continues, I will come back and say they are not the worst team in the NFL.

Well, having yeeeeeeaaaaarrrs of first round picks has to come together sometime.......doesn't it?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bringing this thread up again because I still think Reich needs to be shown the door.  How many times do we have to read Reich state, "As bad as this feels — and, listen, I'm not looking for any silver linings," Reich said. "But also as the head coach, you got to have a little perspective. We are 3-3-1, We are 3-3-1. We lost a game today that hurt. We got out-played and out-coached, and there's no excuses for that."

I think it's time for the Colts to get a coach that out coaches the other team, not openly admits that he gets outcoached on a regular basis.