The official Start Sam Ehlinger thread

coffeedrinker

10 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I also feel like this is a more credible option then the Chad Kelly push from a couple years ago 

Yeah, Chad Kelly, IMO, never looked good.  Even going against the threes his throws were all over the place, the only thing he could do was scramble and run.  I've been impressed with Ehlinger throws this past preseason.  They talk about his arm strength but he seems to be able to make all the necessary throws.  He doesn't have a cannon but he passes the litmus test of throwing a 12 yard out from the far hash mark to the sideline with anticipation and zip.

I thought Ryan was a good signing and I admit he is not getting a lot of help from the oline.  But he just seems to have no feel in the pocket anymore, no confidence, makes poor decision on when to scramble and when to take a sack, no touch on the deep ball.  I just don't know what Ehlinger could do worse than Ryan and, who knows his scrambling/running ability may be a plus.  Since Ryan is not a long term answer at QB, even if he was playing great, why not see what we have in Ehlinger when the bodies are flying and that way they can develop a plan for addressing the QB situation rather than hoping some veteran becomes available and can play well.

13.8 points per game... worst in the NFL.

Something needs to change... either a new OC, new HC or new QB.  new QB is the easiest thing to change... 

Come on Ballard, you've had a mini bye week here, this would be the perfect time to put a QB back there than can run around and protect the ball a little.

On 10/11/2022 at 10:19 AM, Warhorse said:

I get that the QB play has been way below average....but so has the o-line play. I'd call them about even....

it's hard to tell, IMO.  I do think the line has some holes... Pryor is the worst tackle the Colts have had since Justice.

But I wonder how much of the pressure is because Ryan is a bit slow to recognize it or where it may be coming from?  He doesn't seem to have a feel in the pocket when pressure is coming and where he can step up.  

I don't think Ryan is the cause of ALL the Colts' woes, but I do think quite of few of them would be fixed or covered up with better QB play.

• Like 1

I'm not ready to end my start Sam Ehlinger campaign after 1 good game against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL. But I will give both Ryan and Reich props.  Ryan played a good game, made some really nice throws into tight coverage and placing the ball that both protected the WR and gave them a chance for some YAC.  He also did a good job protecting the ball and trusting he pocket a bit more.  Reich called a good game being short handed without Taylor and without Hines (the Colts were not full strength either time they played the jags).  And I didn't think that Reich nor Ryan had the guts to throw that pass on 3rd down to Pierce to seal the game.

The Ryan played 2-1/2 good quarters against the jags, bringing his total (IMO) to 4 good quarters so far this year.  Let's see if he can continue it against a Titans defense that is not very good against the pass either and is even worse than the jags at INTs.

10 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

I'm not ready to end my start Sam Ehlinger campaign after 1 good game against one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL. But I will give both Ryan and Reich props.  Ryan played a good game, made some really nice throws into tight coverage and placing the ball that both protected the WR and gave them a chance for some YAC.  He also did a good job protecting the ball and trusting he pocket a bit more.  Reich called a good game being short handed without Taylor and without Hines (the Colts were not full strength either time they played the jags).  And I didn't think that Reich nor Ryan had the guts to throw that pass on 3rd down to Pierce to seal the game.

The Ryan played 2-1/2 good quarters against the jags, bringing his total (IMO) to 4 good quarters so far this year.  Let's see if he can continue it against a Titans defense that is not very good against the pass either and is even worse than the jags at INTs.

I think it had a lot to do with the shifting they did with the o-line. That is where I think the biggest issues are. 

On 10/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, Warhorse said:

I think it had a lot to do with the shifting they did with the o-line. That is where I think the biggest issues are. 

The line did play better and I mentioned in another thread that Pryor at guard is serviceable.  But that is not the only reason why Ryan played better.  Ryan double clutched the ball less, when he moved in the pocket he had 2 hands on the ball rather than 1 and he made better decisions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

Maybe I can see why the Colts don't start Ehlinger ... if he started the Colts may only score about 10 points a game and he may turn the ball over multiple times can't have that from your starting QB.

Kevin Bowen said that he heard that making Sam Ehlinger the backup QB was pushed for by Irsay and not because Reich or Marcus Brady think he is a better QB than Foles.

I think that if Ryan were to get inured that Foles would be getting starting reps that whole week of practice. Though I can see him having a short leash. 

9 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Kevin Bowen said that he heard that making Sam Ehlinger the backup QB was pushed for by Irsay and not because Reich or Marcus Brady think he is a better QB than Foles.

I think that if Ryan were to get inured that Foles would be getting starting reps that whole week of practice. Though I can see him having a short leash. 

My post was tongue in cheek... basically giving Ryan's stats to Ehlinger.  To me the thing that is most disappointing about Ryan is his decision making.  I expected some lumps because working out timing with receivers takes more than one off season and training camp and I expected him to try to force some throws into tight windows to try to make a play... IMO all the great Qbs do that.  But what I didn't expect is for him to just completely misread defenses, I didn't expect for him to have no feel for the rush in the pocket, I didn't expect for him to, like he stated about his pick 6 in the Tennessee game that he made a bad play worse.  That is why you get a veteran QB, so you don't have those issues while working on the timing/new player issues.

I didn't think it would be possible but Ryan has been a bigger disappointment than Wentz.  Start Ehlinger see if there is something there to build on or see if they need to look for a long term starting QB.