State of the Steelers

warfelg

Anyone catch some of Steven Nelson’s appearance on Slay’s podcast? Yeeesh. If what he said about Tomlin giving the heads up of the FO plan is true then woof. But he did sounds like the bitter ex syndrome. 

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Anyone catch some of Steven Nelson’s appearance on Slay’s podcast? Yeeesh. If what he said about Tomlin giving the heads up of the FO plan is true then woof. But he did sounds like the bitter ex syndrome. 

What he say?

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

What he say?

That Tomlin called to let him know Colbert was trading him and Tomlin fought to keep him around, and Colbert wanting to trade him is why he asked for a release. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That Tomlin called to let him know Colbert was trading him and Tomlin fought to keep him around, and Colbert wanting to trade him is why he asked for a release. 

Hmm…I remember that was the offseason they had cap issues and people figured they were cutting Haden and not Nelson…interesting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There’s a rumor Poles asked for DJ in return for Fields. 

I’d probably do that…that would equal out to roughly Fields and about $5 mill in cap space  for DJ.

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Hmm…I remember that was the offseason they had cap issues and people figured they were cutting Haden and not Nelson…interesting.

Yea. It’s so strange that he asked out but held a grudge and now we might know why, the FO was looking to move him as opposed to extend. 

Something to think about with DJ - even though the draft is deep at WR, with the Evans and Pittman/Higgins tagging and likely tag, FA just became very thin for WR. I’ve got a feeling he moves after the start of FA and before the draft. 

The names left in FA are Marquise Brown, Calvin Ridley, Gabe Davis, Darnell Mooney, Odell Beckham Jr, Kendrick Bourne, Curtis Samuel. I think Ridley is the only one I would take over DJ here. I feel like that’s some really good leverage for us to have. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Something to think about with DJ - even though the draft is deep at WR, with the Evans and Pittman/Higgins tagging and likely tag, FA just became very thin for WR. I’ve got a feeling he moves after the start of FA and before the draft. 

The names left in FA are Marquise Brown, Calvin Ridley, Gabe Davis, Darnell Mooney, Odell Beckham Jr, Kendrick Bourne, Curtis Samuel. I think Ridley is the only one I would take over DJ here. I feel like that’s some really good leverage for us to have. 

I mentioned Brown before even though you don’t agree…I think he’d be a perfect compliment to Pickens but Smiths offenses much prefer bigger bodied WRs(and size in general)…

It wouldn’t shock me if they went after Gabe Davis…big, only 24 and far as I know, a good run blocking WR.

8 minutes ago, AFF said:

I mentioned Brown before even though you don’t agree…I think he’d be a perfect compliment to Pickens but Smiths offenses much prefer bigger bodied WRs(and size in general)…

It wouldn’t shock me if they went after Gabe Davis…big, only 24 and far as I know, a good run blocking WR.

I’m starting to lean away from FA WRs unless it’s a guy like Boyd. Pickens is in line for a contract next offseason and paying two WRs at the same time is a bad idea. 

FWIW the big reason I don’t love a brown is he’s topped 70 catches once in his career, has a 59% catch%, and has only completed 1 full healthy system. 

By comparison this pas year was the first time DJ missed significant time, his two worst years came with Mason, Duck, Pickett, and Mason as QBs, yet still has a 61% catch%. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sounds like we’re trying to work a pay cut with a Robinson over a straight up release. 

Unless it’s near vet minimum and he had a hand in Pickens improving, I think it’s a dumb idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Unless it’s near vet minimum and he had a hand in Pickens improving, I think it’s a dumb idea.

I'm with you. I didn't like the Robinson signing from the beginning. I started to come around to the idea only to have him kind of stink. I'd rather be done with him. 

• Like 1