State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

To be fair, we don't have a starting OC on our Roster, and the top 3 will be gone by 2.51, so I'll take the potentially slightly lower talent for one year, over having Herbig start at OC. 

I get what you're saying.I'm just saying that we still need a starting wide receiver There doesn't have the talent ceiling of a ray ray McCloud in.Year one

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

You are welcome to disagree, but based on NFL.com projections, there are 8 guys graded 6.35 or higher "Will Eventually Be Plus Starter"

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/wr/all-colleges/

Aiyuk was graded as 6.38 "Will Eventually Be Plus Starter"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brandon-aiyuk/32004149-5918-9231-4476-63b611051b08

So I'm not alone believing that there are, as I stated "...we can likely get a similar projected talent in the 2nd/3rd Rd this year..."

If that is your rationale, then ok… 

Aiyuk has clearly become much, much more than a “plus starter.” Who cares what he was projected to be coming out of college? Why is that relevant at all?

Tom Brady was projected to be a fringe NFL player so might as well take Sam Hartman to be the QBOTF because he shares the same projection that Tom Brady did coming out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

If that is your rationale, then ok… 

Aiyuk has clearly become much, much more than a “plus starter.” Who cares what he was projected to be coming out of college? Why is that relevant at all?

Tom Brady was projected to be a fringe NFL player so might as well take Sam Hartman to be the QBOTF because he shares the same projection that Tom Brady did coming out.

It took Aiyuk, until his 4th season to get to be a top 6-8 WR in the league...he's not that special.  Pickens was selected #52, and put up 800 yds and 4 TDs his rookie year with Pickett/Trubisky as QB.  I'm saying, it's not impossible to get a similar talent in the 2nd Round, with the rather deep crop of WRs in the 2024 draft.

So, you'd rather have Pickens/Aiyuk with Herbig at OC, than have, say Pickens/Wilson, with JPJ at OC??  Because that is what we are staring at, if we trade our 1.20 for a WR.

8 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I get what you're saying.I'm just saying that we still need a starting wide receiver There doesn't have the talent ceiling of a ray ray McCloud in.Year one

McCloud was taken in the 6th Rd, and was nowhere near projected anywhere close to being a starter in this league.  I'm talking about a Roman Wilson, or Troy Franklin, or Malachi Corley...

18 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I mean Didn't watkins struggle last year in philadelphia

Define struggle. For some reason Siriani has been basically looking to replace him since day one. 

2 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

It took Aiyuk, until his 4th season to get to be a top 6-8 WR in the league...he's not that special.  Pickens was selected #52, and put up 800 yds and 4 TDs his rookie year with Pickett/Trubisky as QB.  I'm saying, it's not impossible to get a similar talent in the 2nd Round, with the rather deep crop of WRs in the 2024 draft.

So, you'd rather have Pickens/Aiyuk with Herbig at OC, than have, say Pickens/Wilson, with JPJ at OC??  Because that is what we are staring at, if we trade our 1.20 for a WR.

Let’s just agree to disagree. 

And to your second question….so are you saying that is we don’t use #20 on a C, then our ONLY option is for Herbig to start at center? Even if that was true, I would still make the trade.

Aiyuk would make a much larger impact on our offense than a rookie center would. 

I just genuinely don’t think you realize how good Brandon Aiyuk is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Let’s just agree to disagree. 

And to your second question….so are you saying that is we don’t use #20 on a C, then our ONLY option is for Herbig to start at center? Even if that was true, I would still make the trade.

Aiyuk would make a much larger impact on our offense than a rookie center would. 

I just genuinely don’t think you realize how good Brandon Aiyuk is.

So, tell me...what's out other option??  A 3rd Rd OC, who won't be ready to start, with Aiyuk, or a legit starting OC prospect, with Malachi Corley...I'll take the latter.

So yes, we agree to disagree, I guess.  I'm saying, I will not be happy to trade away our 1st Rd pick for a WR...if that makes you happy, then so be it, we are in disagreement.

Edited by Ward4HOF

5 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

So, tell me...what's out other option??  A 3rd Rd OC, who won't be ready to start, with Aiyuk, or a legit starting OC prospect, with Malachi Corley...I'll take the latter.

So yes, we agree to disagree, I guess.  I'm saying, I will not be happy to trade away our 1st Rd pick for a WR...if that makes you happy, then so be it, we are in disagreement.

So, what if we draft a WR at 20?

It seems to me you’ll be upset with anything other than using our 1st round pick on a center.

https://x.com/dlolley_pgh/status/1772332116128276953?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

No...Not necessarily. If we use our 1.20 to trade down, giving us the option to trade up higher in the 2nd, to get one of the top 3 OC options then that's fine...or if we sign Connor Williams, then great have a ball, trade for Aiyuk, but I won't like it...and clearly, you don't remember our bad our line is with a poor OC at the helm...and it's not just OC...if we draft a stud RT, then fine, sign a stop-gap option like Brian Allen...

But trading 1.20 for a 26YO WR, is not good value, in my eyes.   Again, it took Aiyuk three years to get to this level, and that was on good teams, with decent QBs (sad that Mr. Irrelevant was better than our 2022 1.20 pick, but whatever).

So yes, Sign Connor Williams, and draft a 21YO Brian Thomas Jr., or 21YO Adonai Mitchell, or 22YO Ladd McConkey, or 20YO Xavier Worthy if need be...but a 26YO WR??  No thank you.

Edited by Ward4HOF