Sherman: Wilson Relationship is "Professional"

CWood21

Richard Sherman described his relationship with Russell Wilson as "professional" during a SportsCenter interview that aired Sunday and again downplayed the idea that the Seattle Seahawks have a fractured locker room going into the 2017 season.

Really kind of an interesting for Richard Sherman to say publicly, even if he's never been shy about thinking what he thinks.  Does this show that there is some distrust in the locker room or is this just being blown out of proportion?  Given the trade demand that Sherman reportedly had, there's probably smoke to this fire.  Is a divorce between the Seahawks and Richard Sherman inevitable, or will this go away over time?

All I view it as is Sherman saying he and Russ aren't the best of friends, which I am fine with. There are other guys on defense, namely Michael Bennett, who are close with Russell and support him fully. Sherm just can't get out of his own way

It really is not that big of a deal.  Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman play on opposite sides of the ball, so they technically do not need to have a rapport with one another.  If this was Doug Baldwin or some other offensive player then I think it could possibly be a larger issue.

6 hours ago, showtime said:

It really is not that big of a deal.  Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman play on opposite sides of the ball, so they technically do not need to have a rapport with one another.  If this was Doug Baldwin or some other offensive player then I think it could possibly be a larger issue.

I mean, you don't want your starting QB and arguably your most famous player feuding.  It's still a distraction at the end of the day.  If you're talking about one of your star players and some 3rd string QB, it'd be one thing.  But they're probably two of the most respected players in the locker room.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, you don't want your starting QB and arguably your most famous player feuding.  It's still a distraction at the end of the day.  If you're talking about one of your star players and some 3rd string QB, it'd be one thing.  But they're probably two of the most respected players in the locker room.

You make a valid point.  The worst part about it being Richard Sherman is he might continue to feed this story line because of his tendency to talk so much.  Overall, I think the Seahawks have a really strong locker room with a lot of leaders so it will not be too much of an issue.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:51 PM, showtime said:

You make a valid point.  The worst part about it being Richard Sherman is he might continue to feed this story line because of his tendency to talk so much.  Overall, I think the Seahawks have a really strong locker room with a lot of leaders so it will not be too much of an issue.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time that a strong locker room was torn apart by their star players feuding.  I mean, as long as they are winning it might not be a huge issue but if they falter will Sherman start talking more?  Given Sherman's age and production, they're probably not real keen on letting him go and they didn't move him when he was looking to be moved.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time that a strong locker room was torn apart by their star players feuding.  I mean, as long as they are winning it might not be a huge issue but if they falter will Sherman start talking more?  Given Sherman's age and production, they're probably not real keen on letting him go and they didn't move him when he was looking to be moved.

One of the main reasons I think it will be okay is because of Russell Wilson's personality.  He does not seem like the type of individual that wants or seeks out drama and does not enjoy being involved in negative situations.  If Wilson had a more outgoing personality, such as Michael Bennett or Richard Sherman, then it might be more of an issue.  I'm assuming Wilson will mainly ignore the situation and that will likely help simmer the situation.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

One of the main reasons I think it will be okay is because of Russell Wilson's personality.  He does not seem like the type of individual that wants or seeks out drama and does not enjoy being involved in negative situations.  If Wilson had a more outgoing personality, such as Michael Bennett or Richard Sherman, then it might be more of an issue.  I'm assuming Wilson will mainly ignore the situation and that will likely help simmer the situation.

I'm not sure I'd be worried about Russell Wilson's reaction, I'm more worried about some of the more outgoing personalities like Michael Bennett.  I mean, how do you think Bennett is reacting to this whole situation?  He might not be saying anything publicly but anytime you call out your franchise QB, it's not going to bode well.  I mean, if Clay Matthews started calling out Aaron Rodgers you'd bet there would be a few feathers being ruffled.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure I'd be worried about Russell Wilson's reaction, I'm more worried about some of the more outgoing personalities like Michael Bennett.  I mean, how do you think Bennett is reacting to this whole situation?  He might not be saying anything publicly but anytime you call out your franchise QB, it's not going to bode well.  I mean, if Clay Matthews started calling out Aaron Rodgers you'd bet there would be a few feathers being ruffled.

If they start losing, that might cause the boat to rock even more, as you alluded to.  I have to believe guys such as Michael Bennett, Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner will step in to keep Sherman in check if he continues to be a negative distraction.  You make a good point, any time a team leader and someone as outspoken as Sherman calls out the QB that is a recipe for danger.  Even with all of the team leaders, Sherman kind of seems like the type of person that is going to do things 'his way', especially if he is not happy.  I am sincerely hoping this will not be a big deal throughout the season, but I suppose it does have the potential to be and I was downplaying it too much when I first posted about it.

Archived