HB 1st Mock Offseason- How to fix the Raiders

Humble_Beast

On 1/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, NYRaider said:

Brady took $25M with Tampa Bay.

You do realize he is counting as $47 million against the cap for playing last year.  They just spread out his cap hit through a signing bonus over 5 years.  He is still going to count against their cap in 2026.

On 1/25/2023 at 4:47 AM, NYRaider said:

• Jakob Johnson (2 yr/$5M)

How about taking a player like Hunter Luepke in the 5-6th instead.  Kid can block, short yardage back, and is a real threat in the passing game.  Johnson is to 1 dimensional for the money.  It would save us $3.6 million over the first 2 years.  Luepke is the type that becomes a fan favorite.  A couple more moves that trim the fat and you have another $10-12 mil to go after an impact player.  With some good drafting an good FA moves we could add a lot of talent.  Trading Jacobs and Carr end up being 2 for 1 deals at a minimum.  We get a pick and enough cap savings to sign an impact FA.

Carr - At least a 1st and $78 mil over 2 years

Jacobs - A 2nd (Minimum) and probably $20 mil over 2 years

Between the two that is 2 starting rookies and $90 million in FAs over two years which would average $15 mil each for 3 starters over two years.  I like Jacobs but I would rather have 5 starters.

I would add Renfrow and Waller to the list but the savings is minimal this year.  I would do it if we got a good amount in picks this year.  If not I would look to do it next year for both.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:22 AM, drfrey13 said:

How about taking a player like Hunter Luepke in the 5-6th instead.  Kid can block, short yardage back, and is a real threat in the passing game.  Johnson is to 1 dimensional for the money.  It would save us $3.6 million over the first 2 years.  Luepke is the type that becomes a fan favorite.  A couple more moves that trim the fat and you have another $10-12 mil to go after an impact player.  With some good drafting an good FA moves we could add a lot of talent.  Trading Jacobs and Carr end up being 2 for 1 deals at a minimum.  We get a pick and enough cap savings to sign an impact FA.

Meh I'd prefer to keep Jakob Johnson personally, he's limited but he's excellent at what he does and played a huge role in Jacobs All-Pro season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Meh I'd prefer to keep Jakob Johnson personally, he's limited but he's excellent at what he does and played a huge role in Jacobs All-Pro season. 

I saw many times where he was not even good at blocking.  He can not run and can not catch.  He is very limited and makes us more predictable.  Guy had 0 rush yards and 5 catches for 10 yards.  Sorry but we could do better in the draft and pay half for 4 years instead of 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I saw many times where he was not even good at blocking.  He can not run and can not catch.  He is very limited and makes us more predictable.  Guy had 0 rush yards and 5 catches for 10 yards.  Sorry but we could do better in the draft and pay half for 4 years instead of 2.

Look at the Seattle game and tell me he’s not a good blocker.

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Look at the Seattle game and tell me he’s not a good blocker.

I did not saw he was horrible at blocking.  I said there were times he was not good at it.  Combined with not being able to carry the ball or catch it makes him not worth it.  You could land Luepke in the 5-7th round and pay him substantially less then what you are proposing for Jakob.  He can also function in the passing game and be a really good short yardage back.

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I did not saw he was horrible at blocking.  I said there were times he was not good at it.  Combined with not being able to carry the ball or catch it makes him not worth it.  You could land Luepke in the 5-7th round and pay him substantially less then what you are proposing for Jakob.  He can also function in the passing game and be a really good short yardage back.

I'd be fine with that, I don't think FB is really a big deal either way. He only played 27% of our offensive snaps this year.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd be fine with that, I don't think FB is really a big deal either way. He only played 27% of our offensive snaps this year.

If you have not seen Luepke check him out.  He will be in for more than 27% of the snaps.  He played at North Dakota so level of competition is a concern but it is the only concern.  I think he got invited to the Senior Bowl so questions will be answered.

• Like 1