Who Do We Bring Back Next Year? [Cap Discussion] [Jernigan Contract Pg. 4]

JayWood2010

Just now, 808 said:

Easily the biggest story line of the offseason will be decision on Peters. Changes our draft/FA needs depending on that choice. I feel like he's a goner, which is difficult to come to grips with. 

he and Lurie are BFF unless he wants to call it a career I doubt he gets cut. 

12 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

he and Lurie are BFF unless he wants to call it a career I doubt he gets cut. 

Its a business. Jim Irsey cut Peyton Manning and he sweated Manning's nuts. You do what you gotta do.

Love Jason Peters but i dont see how he can be kept unless he takes a pay cut. Which he wont because why would he? 

5 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Its a business. Jim Irsey cut Peyton Manning and he sweated Manning's nuts. You do what you gotta do.

Love Jason Peters but i dont see how he can be kept unless he takes a pay cut. Which he wont because why would he? 

Jim Irsay is an untrustworthy drug addict. I doubt he and peyton were friends. 

My gut feeling is they won't cut Peters, but who knows. I think when you hire someone like Doug for "emotional intelligence" partly in response to Chip who cut anyone and everyone for any reason, we'll see less moves like cutting players like Peters and Celek, for example.

12 minutes ago, Phire said:

My gut feeling is they won't cut Peters, but who knows. I think when you hire someone like Doug for "emotional intelligence" partly in response to Chip who cut anyone and everyone for any reason, we'll see less moves like cutting players like Peters and Celek, for example.

There is a difference between getting rid of star players in their primes for no good reason and cutting a 36 year old LT coming off of major knee surgury when you are over the cap and have a 26 year old #1 WR to sign.

Not that I want Peters to go by any means it just seems pretty inevitable.

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

There is a difference between getting rid of star players in their primes for no good reason and cutting a 36 year old LT coming off of major knee surgury when you are over the cap and have a 26 year old #1 WR to sign.

Not that I want Peters to go by any means it just seems pretty inevitable.

Alshon's not 26, he's gonna be 28 in February. Any contract he signs with us will take him into his 30s and probably start declining. I think Peters is still our best option at LT even after the ACL (which isn't that bad of an injury anymore). I don't think it's that inevitable that he's gone. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't come back, but I don't think the writing is on the wall either. Many people said we didn't have enough money to sign someone like Alshon this year (some people said we didn't have money to sign Pryor lol) and look what happened, we ended up signing a ton of guys.

Just gotta trust the Howcess.

10 minutes ago, Phire said:

Alshon's not 26, he's gonna be 28 in February. Any contract he signs with us will take him into his 30s and probably start declining. I think Peters is still our best option at LT even after the ACL (which isn't that bad of an injury anymore). I don't think it's that inevitable that he's gone. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't come back, but I don't think the writing is on the wall either. Many people said we didn't have enough money to sign someone like Alshon this year (some people said we didn't have money to sign Pryor lol) and look what happened, we ended up signing a ton of guys.

Just gotta trust the Howcess.

They literally have -2 million plus in cap.space right now for 2018. Cuts are going to have to come and tough decisions are going to be made. If the oline continues to play this well without Peters it just might make too much sense not go move on.

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

They literally have -2 million plus in cap.space right now for 2018. Cuts are going to have to come and tough decisions are going to be made. If the oline continues to play this well without Peters it just might make too much sense not go move on.

Where are you getting your numbers? We'll have cap space even without making any moves. Don't we have like 20 million in dead money this year? We're still paying Bradford and Case Keenum huge figures. I think those clear off the books. I don't think we're necessarily in desperation mode.

13 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I actually think Alshon will end up walking still. Especially now that his play is picking up I think he'll price himself out of Philly. 

but hey we'll get a compensation pick for the first time in like 10 years so that could be cool. 

If they are commited to keep him they will. They can tag him and then extend. That will require a) clearing serious cap space and b) hamstring them.from getting other deals done until tbe extension is finalized. 

Point is if they want him back badly they can keep him

12 minutes ago, Phire said:

Where are you getting your numbers? We'll have cap space even without making any moves. Don't we have like 20 million in dead money this year? We're still paying Bradford and Case Keenum huge figures. I think those clear off the books. I don't think we're necessarily in desperation mode.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/philadelphia-eagles

Archived