HoF Semifinalists Announced

bucsfan333

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

These are two totally different things. Impressive doesn't mean elite.

I personally think Hines Ward should NOT get in, if only because there is such a backlog of players, especially WRs, who very arguably deserve it more.

However, most people who knock his numbers either ignore or just do not know that Hines Ward played about the first half of his career in a run first offense with crappy or very young, developing QBs.   It wasnt until 2007 when the Steelers hired Arians that we started to really become more of a passing team (you could argue 2006 as well, but we only passed because we were behind so often due to them forcing Ben to play when he wasnt of sound mind).     So, by the time we started passing more, Hines was 28 and we had some other nice weapons he had to contend with like Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller.

Again, dont think Hines should/will make it, but he is top 25 yards (for now) and top 15 for all time receiving yards while playing the first 6 years of his career with guys like Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at QB.     He was also a prolific blocker and has a SB MVP.    He definitely has an argument, but there are too many other deserving players for guys like him and Jimmy Smith to get in.

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I personally think Hines Ward should NOT get in, if only because there is such a backlog of players, especially WRs, who very arguably deserve it more.

However, most people who knock his numbers either ignore or just do not know that Hines Ward played about the first half of his career in a run first offense with crappy or very young, developing QBs.   It wasnt until 2007 when the Steelers hired Arians that we started to really become more of a passing team (you could argue 2006 as well, but we only passed because we were behind so often due to them forcing Ben to play when he wasnt of sound mind).     So, by the time we started passing more, Hines was 28 and we had some other nice weapons he had to contend with like Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller.

Again, dont think Hines should/will make it, but he is top 25 yards (for now) and top 15 for all time receiving yards while playing the first 6 years of his career with guys like Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at QB.     He was also a prolific blocker and has a SB MVP.    He definitely has an argument, but there are too many other deserving players for guys like him and Jimmy Smith to get in.

Pretty much this. Do I think he should be in? No. Is it going to be a crime if he is? No. It's close. I'd be upset if he got in before someone like Owens or Moss, but otherwise, he's close enough not to get me ruffled about his induction. 

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My last post could just as easily apply to this. Impressive but not elite.

Archived