HoF Semifinalists Announced

bucsfan333

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, LaserFocus said:

Since it includes all players, that helps Ward's ranking. Agree about other faster and better leaping receivers offering more big play ability, but Ward had elite physicality at the WR position.

I think if we looked at first downs in winning games, Ward would be right there with other WRs already enshrined in Canton. The lifetime totals of receptions, TDs, and steller postseason play are of HOF quality. And toss in the all time leader of a storied franchise, plus the blocking, it just feels like a HOF selection down the line. I do agree with you the wait could be up to 16 years because of the competition. Ward also does possess the kind of signature moments we associate with HOF players, and I don't think the story of pro football in the 2000s can be told without Hines Ward.

Don't think Chad Johnson has a prayer at Canton, he was a problem child, and being the franchise receiving leader of the Bengals isn't a big deal. I do think Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt will eventually earn Canton.

I think it's actually super easy to do.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I think it's actually super easy to do.

Then you better ignore the success of the 2000s Steelers, and the key role Ward played. And you should also ignore the impact he had on the game with his blocking. Also ignore the postseason, and pretend SB XL never happened. And when Larry Fitzgerald is talked about his value to the Cardinals since moving into the Hines Ward role, pretend that isn't happening either. Thankfully, HOF voters have seen decades of football, and don't play fantasy football. Data isn't the 100% way to make these HOF evaluations.

10 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Then you better ignore the success of the 2000s Steelers, and the key role Ward played. And you should also ignore the impact he had on the game with his blocking. Also ignore the postseason, and pretend SB XL never happened. And when Larry Fitzgerald is talked about his value to the Cardinals since moving into the Hines Ward role, pretend that isn't happening either. Thankfully, HOF voters have seen decades of football, and don't play fantasy football. Data isn't the 100% way to make these HOF evaluations.

Must be what leads them to make such amazing selections as Morten Andersen over Terrell Owens. 

Also, still have never heard anyone refer to what Fitzgerald does as being "the Hines Ward role". I mentioned this the last time you brought this up too. And even if they did, it's just a point of comparison, that's pretty much it. I could say that Trent Taylor plays the Wes Welker role for the 49ers. Doesn't mean that Welker should be enshrined. 

17 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

2008 Steelers-great team with a historically great defense. Done. The rest of your post is just silly. If this was Eli Manning I could understand you not telling the story of the NFL without him but it's Hines freaking Ward. Half the people who watch the NFL have probably already forgotten about him. No one is going on raving about the good ol' days watching Hines Ward block and catch passes at a less than elite rate.

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Unfortunately just doesn't have the statistical body of work. 

13,100 scrimmage yards with 73 total TD while averaging over 4 yards per carry in his career, with arguably as good of a year as a RB has ever had in 1985 IMO is good enough. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

13,100 scrimmage yards with 73 total TD while averaging over 4 yards per carry in his career, with arguably as good of a year as a RB has ever had in 1985 IMO is good enough. 

I think the voters get wrapped up more in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns than scrimmage yards and total touchdowns for a runner though. I think not even having 10k rushing yards isn't a good look. Hope I'm wrong and he gets in.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:29 AM, Bullet Club said:

2008 Steelers-great team with a historically great defense. Done. The rest of your post is just silly. If this was Eli Manning I could understand you not telling the story of the NFL without him but it's Hines freaking Ward. Half the people who watch the NFL have probably already forgotten about him. No one is going on raving about the good ol' days watching Hines Ward block and catch passes at a less than elite rate.

But Hines Ward did catch passes at an elite rate during his era, and other HOF receivers did not have large reception totals, but were elected anyway. Paul Warfield is just one example. The HOF is all about the totality of the career. And if half the fans who watch the NFL have forgotten about Ward, that's their problem. Those fans are probably fantasy football devotees, and aren't students of the game. You're not going to be able to convince me 1000 lifetime receptions by the end of the 2011 season isn't a very impressive total. 

On 11/28/2017 at 11:17 AM, Forge said:

Must be what leads them to make such amazing selections as Morten Andersen over Terrell Owens. 

Also, still have never heard anyone refer to what Fitzgerald does as being "the Hines Ward role". I mentioned this the last time you brought this up too. And even if they did, it's just a point of comparison, that's pretty much it. I could say that Trent Taylor plays the Wes Welker role for the 49ers. Doesn't mean that Welker should be enshrined. 

The "Hines Ward role" line has been used repeatedly by the Arizona media and national broadcasts. Wes Welker didn't impact the game with either his role, and definitely not blocking. Well before Welker, other receivers lined up in the slot. Welker really doesn't have a HOF case. 

10 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

But Hines Ward did catch passes at an elite rate during his era, and other HOF receivers did not have large reception totals, but were elected anyway. Paul Warfield is just one example. The HOF is all about the totality of the career. And if half the fans who watch the NFL have forgotten about Ward, that's their problem. Those fans are probably fantasy football devotees, and aren't students of the game. You're not going to be able to convince me 1000 lifetime receptions by the end of the 2011 season isn't a very impressive total. 

These are two totally different things. Impressive doesn't mean elite.

2 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

The "Hines Ward role" line has been used repeatedly by the Arizona media and national broadcasts. Wes Welker didn't impact the game with either his role, and definitely not blocking. Well before Welker, other receivers lined up in the slot. Welker really doesn't have a HOF case. 

Ok, I've still never heard it, still don't think even if i did it would somehow make him a hall of famer. But if does, he does. I don't think he is, but thats my opinion. 

Archived