The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Offseason

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

On the bright side, its clear that this team isn't a cup competitor type. Maybe we squeak into the playoffs as a low seed, but that should prevent us from going after rentals for sure. If we make any trade, it's going to involve someone impacting the team for multiple years. 

They would be if they had any semblance of finishers or goaltending. It's the same **** every year and we do nothing about it but try to plug our fingers into holes in the dam. Take a god damn chance and make a move. We have a plethora of prospects we can move for talent. Hoarding them for the "perfect" move is just beyond dumb because that move may not come.

Call Nashville about Saros NOW. Call San Jose about Meier TONIGHT. Get them done if capable. We have draft and prospect capital out of the *** and we're doing nothing with it.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If our goalies faced 67 shots, we'd lose by 20 goals.

Nah...just 19. Blackwood would make that one insane save he has no business making just so people can be like, "See!?? That's franchise goalie material, baby!" 

The problem is that I don't know what this team does for the top 6. Timo is legit the only real non rental option and I don't think that Fitz is targeting a high priced rental. I don't think that there's a Horvat coming (but again, he'd be great on Jack's line). 

Go through all the guys with 15 goals right now (which basically puts them on pace for 30) and its 53 total people. Out of that many, how many are realistic options if we aren't shopping in the rental Maybe Toffoli if Calgary falls out (he's #53 on that list), but they are currently in the playoffs, I believe. Brock Nelson is the Islanders decide to sell? And that dude is like 32 years old. 

It's just bleak in that regard. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

The problem is that I don't know what this team does for the top 6. Timo is legit the only real non rental option and I don't think that Fitz is targeting a high priced rental. I don't think that there's a Horvat coming (but again, he'd be great on Jack's line). 

Go through all the guys with 15 goals right now (which basically puts them on pace for 30) and its 53 total people. Out of that many, how many are realistic options if we aren't shopping in the rental Maybe Toffoli if Calgary falls out (he's #53 on that list), but they are currently in the playoffs, I believe. Brock Nelson is the Islanders decide to sell? And that dude is like 32 years old. 

It's just bleak in that regard. 

That's why you can't just eliminate the rentals as easily as Fitz does. It completely neuters your ability to improve your team in-season and is why I mentioned that you can't wait for the "perfect" trade to come along. You have to take the risk and trade for a rental and try to retain them after the season. Scared money don't make money and I hate that our GM is too risk averse to even attempt to improve the team in the short term.

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Smgdh fire Ruff into the sun. Shocker that it all comes down to faceoffs for the geriatric turd. 

That is an amazing boomer-ific coaching call lol. Like, that's really old school thinking to be like, "yep, faceoffs are that important". 

There have been numerous studies done that do not show any correlation between faceoffs wins and winning games. The Chicago Blackhawks lead the league in face off percentage this year. Ottawa is 5th. Nashville 7th. It's pretty much whatever 

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Offseason