The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Keefe it is

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think it's safe

Oh I don't question whether or not I'll have to see Blackwood. I question why we're still doing this song and dance with him. Is he that big of a headcase that you can't speak negatively about him, ever? 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

What a miserable, wasted season for holtz. My word

He hasn't helped himself either though. We need to trade him because we're not looking back and there's no place for him in our top 6 to work out his growing pains. He's been a massive disappointment. I think Graeme Clarke has surpassed him as a prospect.

46 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He hasn't helped himself either though. We need to trade him because we're not looking back and there's no place for him in our top 6 to work out his growing pains. He's been a massive disappointment. I think Graeme Clarke has surpassed him as a prospect.

I've been a bigger Clarke supporter than most and I wouldn't go that far yet if only because he has no NHL experience as of yet. We are failing Holtz right now because we have seen him fail at the NHL level at age 19 and 20.  We can only really compare them from an AHL standpoint and Clarke has only just now caught where Holtz was at 19 years old. 

Clarke suffers the same skating issues as Holtz, but he's got more dirt under his nails which may give him a better chance at succeeding despite the skating. That's the biggest concern on Holtz...not so much that his skating is meh, but he's just so passive and lethargic when he's on the ice. There's no, "lets go get it" to him. Clarke's shot isn't as good, but it's a very good shot. Was probably his best quality when he was a prospect. I always thought he fell through the cracks because that Ottawa team was just so damn stacked at the top. 

There should be a spot in the top 6 next year if they don't re-sign Tatar, which I think is a very real possibility. I don't know that they can afford to give him a similar AAV to the one he's on right now. It's kind of a shame that both Mercer and Holtz are righties...Holtz needs a Nico and Mercer on his line to go get after it for him. The other option would maybe be something like Palat - Haula - Holtz? Is there enough offensive skill there along with the dirt work from Palat and Haula to get him going? 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've been a bigger Clarke supporter than most and I wouldn't go that far yet if only because he has no NHL experience as of yet. We are failing Holtz right now because we have seen him fail at the NHL level at age 19 and 20.  We can only really compare them from an AHL standpoint and Clarke has only just now caught where Holtz was at 19 years old. 

Clarke suffers the same skating issues as Holtz, but he's got more dirt under his nails which may give him a better chance at succeeding despite the skating. That's the biggest concern on Holtz...not so much that his skating is meh, but he's just so passive and lethargic when he's on the ice. There's no, "lets go get it" to him. Clarke's shot isn't as good, but it's a very good shot. Was probably his best quality when he was a prospect. I always thought he fell through the cracks because that Ottawa team was just so damn stacked at the top. 

There should be a spot in the top 6 next year if they don't re-sign Tatar, which I think is a very real possibility. I don't know that they can afford to give him a similar AAV to the one he's on right now. It's kind of a shame that both Mercer and Holtz are righties...Holtz needs a Nico and Mercer on his line to go get after it for him. The other option would maybe be something like Palat - Haula - Holtz? Is there enough offensive skill there along with the dirt work from Palat and Haula to get him going? 

I think Clarke is a better prospect for a multitude of reasons and it has nothing to do with their point totals. We've seen lesser prospects put up good AHL numbers because they have a carrying tool like Holtz does. I just think Clarke offers a more well rounded game and understands/wants it more than Holtz does. I have no doubt that we can plug Clarke into a 3rd line role and not have to overly worry about him while also being someone that can play up if needed (basically a Haula type). Holtz is going to need to be carried. He's a passenger through and through.

I've also been a Holtz detractor long before he was the Devils pick. He's got that shot as his carrying tool but he needs too much work on everything else and you even pointed out his lack of want to on the ice. 

Edited by beekay414

It's honestly kind of ridiculous that we started this thread on December 28th and we're already to 137 pages. The NHL thread was created in 2017 and it's at 525 pages lol.

This is also our 2nd thread which hit 1001 pages from April 14th, 2018 til December 28th, 2022.

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Keefe it is