The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?

beekay414

They may as well let the Devils win. If the Devils win, they can't win again for 3 years. Wouldn't that be nice for future years for other teams? They should just roll with it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

They may as well let the Devils win. If the Devils win, they can't win again for 3 years. Wouldn't that be nice for future years for other teams? They should just roll with it. 

Yeah, then nobody has to worry about Gavin McKenna.

• Like 1

10. New Jersey Devils: Berkly Catton, C, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)

The Devils are in a good spot here, with a talented young team that doesn’t have to chase a need. Maybe they trade this pick for help in goal, but if they stay and pick, they’ll have some good options available to them, and this scenario is a perfect example. Catton doesn’t have ideal size, but he projects as a high-impact forward with strong skating and a ton of offense. His draft-year numbers (54 goals, 116 points in 68 games) surpass those of recent high picks out of the WHL, Seth Jarvis (2020) and Zach Benson (2023), both of whom progressed quickly to the NHL. —Max Bultman

https://www.nhl.com/news/topic/nhl-draft/mock-2024-nhl-draft-experts-split-after-celebrini-levshunov-silayev

10. New Jersey Devils

Kimelman -- Konsta Helenius, C, Jukurit (FIN): Helenius adds to his high-end offensive skills with a strength on the puck that you might not expect from a player his size (5-11, 180). He profiles as a good mix of Jack Hughes' offensive ability with Nico Hischier's determination and competitiveness. And he's already shown he can make an impact playing with and against older competition, finishing with 36 points (14 goals, 22 assists) in 51 games in Liiga, the top professional league in Finland.

Morreale -- Berkly Catton: He plays a hard-driving game, is relentless in puck pursuit and has a compete level too good to ignore. The 18-year-old was the third WHL player since 2000 with at least 115 points in his NHL draft season, joining Bedard (143 points, 2022-23) and Nic Petan (120 points, 2012-13). Catton also won 53.4 percent of his face-offs, led the WHL with seven short-handed goals, and was third on Spokane with 30 power-play points (13 goals, 17 assists).

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The athletic had us taken Catton. I understand the Helenius pick, but I'm a little nervous about a top 10 pick on a guy without an elite talent anywhere. Seems to be extremely reliant on hockey IQ so he's like a super charged Lenni. 

I think I'd prefer Catton for the upside, but I get the Helenius pick as a guy who is probably needed on this roster

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The athletic had us taken Catton. I understand the Helenius pick, but I'm a little nervous about a top 10 pick on a guy without an elite talent anywhere. Seems to be extremely reliant on hockey IQ so he's like a super charged Lenni. 

I think I'd prefer Catton for the upside, but I get the Helenius pick as a guy who is probably needed on this roster

We were worried about that same thing with someone like Anton Lundell too. While Lundell isn't the sexiest of players, he's flat out perfect for us right now ha. It'd be better if we already had Seth Jarvis or Logan Stankoven (cough misfire cough) so it'd hurt less passing on Catton for that type of fit but I'm more than okay with it at 10 in this draft. At least we know he's a centerman. I'm fine with Catton too tho, obviously.

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Markstrom is a Devil, Pesce next?