The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!

beekay414

Apparently were going to send Holtz as part of the Markstrom deal

“I think the Devils and Flames were pretty far down the track on a Markstrom deal,” Servalli explained on Daily Faceoff’s Morning Cuppa Hockey. “I think it did get to his level to approve it, there were no issues there. Somehow along the way, that trade was scuttled. Don’t know how & don’t know why. But, they were pretty close to nailing it down. You would have seen Jacob Markstrom become a New Jersey Devil, I think at some point last week.”

That checks out. Yesterday, Elliotte Friedman reported that although the deal died, the Devils and Flames were in agreement on a package that worked for both teams. The Devils were reportedly ready to at least make Swedish sniper Alexander Holtz as part of the transaction.

However, Friedman also reported that he believed the issue between the two teams was Calgary retaining salary on Markstrom’s $6 million cap hit. Now, Seravalli believes the Devils will need to look elsewhere for help in goal.

“Can this be revisited,” Seravalli contemplated. “My answer is probably not based on the way it played out. And two, now what? Is there another team that would be willing to step up and pay what would be a pretty significant price in order for Calgary to reshape their goaltending scenario?”

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Sending down Hatakka to make sure we keep DeSimone rostered so we can activate Smith and get worse on defense is certainly a ******* choice. 

I feel like this is actually a positive step because he would have just rode the bench in favor of Smith anyway like Holtz did last year lol. They're learning. 

At least now he's playing. 

If you're just going to have him be a healthy scratch 7th D, I'd rather that be DeSimone . 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I feel like this is actually a positive step because he would have just rode the bench in favor of Smith anyway like Holtz did last year lol. They're learning. 

At least now he's playing. 

If you're just going to have him be a healthy scratch 7th D, I'd rather that be DeSimone . 

I'm ****ting on Ruff here because of this exact point. Smith should be the 7th dman, not Hatakka or DeSimone.

Edited by beekay414

HF boards says that calgary radio is saying that the Marstrom deal was at the finish line, involved a first + prospect (Holtz was mentioned in the Nichols report) and then it seems like it got nixed by calgary ownership because of the retention 

Not sure if I buy that. I can't believe that they would get that far down the conversation and not have discussed with ownership what they would be willing to do on the retention