The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!

beekay414

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would assume that they are viewing Nikishin > Holtz. 

Now do Casey and a 4th rounder vs Ryan friggin' Suzuki. Oh and they get a 4th rounder back lmao. Meier retained for less than 30 games isn't worth Casey and an additional 4th.

They get a 4th rounder + Meier for Nikishin, basically the same draft pick and then an AHL caliber C while we have to give up two top prospects, a 1st and a 4th for a retained Meier? Yeah, okay. Even if Nikishin is better than Holtz, the difference between them isn't THAT significant. We're paying entirely way more than them here.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Now do Casey and a 4th rounder vs Ryan friggin' Suzuki. Oh and they get a 4th rounder back lmao. Meier retained for less than 30 games isn't worth Casey and an additional 4th.

They get a 4th rounder + Meier for Nikishin, basically the same draft pick and then an AHL caliber C while we have to give up two top prospects, a 1st and a 4th for a retained Meier? Yeah, okay. Even if Nikishin is better than Holtz, the difference between them isn't THAT significant. We're paying entirely way more than them here.

I would assume that the 4th goes back along with Johnsson + retention, which I think is fair.  I have no issues with that. 

So Nikishin + Suzuki or Holtz + Casey. If that is the baseline of what Carolina is putting on the board, Holtz + Casey could be what it takes to get the deal done. 

Given Nikishin's season in the KHL, I'm not going to put it past the Sharks to want him a lot more than Holtz, but he's also in the KHL 2 more years, guaranteed. That has to ding the value. Suzuki is basically Nolan Foote (they were selected back to back in 2019 and they are both quite underwhelming), so jumping all the way up to Casey just to beat a Suzuki add seems steep. They'd have to value Nikishin so much more. This seems like a case where I'd rather give them Foote + Vilen to try and beat that package from Carolina

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I would assume that the 4th goes back along with Johnsson + retention, which I think is fair.  I have no issues with that. 

So Nikishin + Suzuki or Holtz + Casey. If that is the baseline of what Carolina is putting on the board, Holtz + Casey could be what it takes to get the deal done. 

Given Nikishin's season in the KHL, I'm not going to put it past the Sharks to want him a lot more than Holtz, but he's also in the KHL 2 more years, guaranteed. That has to ding the value. Suzuki is basically Nolan Foote (they were selected back to back in 2019 and they are both quite underwhelming), so jumping all the way up to Casey just to beat a Suzuki add seems steep. They'd have to value Nikishin so much more. This seems like a case where I'd rather give them Foote + Vilen to try and beat that package from Carolina

No, I get the reasoning for most of it, my issue is the last part. Jumping from an underwhelming AHL fodder C prospect to Seamus Casey is just absurd to me. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

They are going to take this all the way to the deadline, aren't they? 

San Jose strategy here is mind boggling lol. 

They are legit going to win games in a lost season with a generational prospect available at the top by having Timo on the roster so much longer than they should. 

I'll give Shero credit...when he knew that season wasn't happening, he moved Hall asap, and he should have gotten a nice reward for it (stupid play-ins cost us a top 10 pick....though Mercer has been a quality player). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are going to take this all the way to the deadline, aren't they? 

San Jose strategy here is mind boggling lol. 

They are legit going to win games in a lost season with a generational prospect available at the top by having Timo on the roster so much longer than they should. 

I'll give Shero credit...when he knew that season wasn't happening, he moved Hall asap, and he should have gotten a nice reward for it (stupid play-ins cost us a top 10 pick....though Mercer has been a quality player). 

I don't blame them for trying to maximize the return but, as you said, they are ruining their odds in an amazing draft. They need to retain on Karlsson, even if would mean retaining on two players for multiple seasons (it's not like they're going to have anyone else they need to retain on to trade before those contracts expire), but they need to do it soon. They'll get great returns for Karlsson and Meier while improving their odds for Bedard.

• beekay414 changed the title to The Official New Jersey Devils Thread v2.0 | Pesce, Dillon, Noesen and TOMAS TATAR!