Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Welp, the Orioles are back to being terrible.  

The only good news is that Rio Ruiz looks to be continuing his strong end to the season.  

When have they quit being terrible in the last 5 years? I was the biggest Orioles fan back in the Cal Ripken days, but Angelos’s cheapness after Cal retired and him tanking to prove there wasn't enough fans & a big enough market for a DC team ruined the Orioles for me. Ugh, can't stand that man, and they're still tanking/not paying enough $ for good players to field a competitive team. It's just sad, in the 90s they were so fun to watch.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

When have they quit being terrible in the last 5 years? I was the biggest Orioles fan back in the Cal Ripken days, but Angelos’s cheapness after Cal retired and him tanking to prove there wasn't enough fans & a big enough market for a DC team ruined the Orioles for me. Ugh, can't stand that man, and they're still tanking/not paying enough $ for good players to field a competitive team. It's just sad, in the 90s they were so fun to watch.

From 2012-2016 they had the best record in MLB if I recall, and if you add on 2017 they had the best record in the AL during that stretch.  He also maxed out a $160 million payroll in 2018.  They have also been in the top 10 in payrolls more than 75% of the time since 2000.  It's just where the team spends their money which was an issue, as well as player development- the Orioles were horrible at drafting, and essentially ignored the Latin market due to Angelos's thoughts on the labor side.  I wouldn't say they tanked on purpose, but if that's how you feel, I can't stop you. 

Angelos, like Snyder, meddled quite a bit, but the only bad thing about Angelos that he ever did to the players was his grueling physicals.  Otherwise, he was always on the side of labor, to the point where he was the only one against the owners after the strike in 1994 and there were thoughts that the other owners would force him out.  I firmly believe if Angelos was 10 years younger, he would have advocated for the players during Covid and MLB would have saved face and we might have had a season much sooner than this, but reports are that he's not in good health.  I can criticize him for quite a bit of things- rightfully so- but I don't think you can say he was cheap and didn't want to win and didn't care about the players.

I do think with Mike Elias right now, we are on the right track and we are rebuilding similar to the Cubs and Astros right now, so I am fine with tanking for another two years until our next batch of prospects are ready.  Our organizational prospect rankings are the best they've ever been according to multiple outlets (except for Keith Law, he can go fly a kite) including Baseball America, where we had our spring ranking the best it ever was in their nearly 40 year history.  Elias is bringing us into the front end of the analytics movement, and he is focusing on the Latin market and we were set to have to good signings until the market was frozen.  

As a fan of DC sports fan, Angelos was the leader in keeping DC from having a team for a long time and it seemed after Cal retired 20 some years ago is when he was tanking. Sorry, I don't like him. I guess I had my dates wrong on when the Orioles started sucking again after having a good run for a while but I don't like Angelos mainly for his stance against DC baseball.

Edited by turtle28

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

As a fan of DC sports fan, Angelos was the leader in keeping DC from having a team for a long time and it seemed after Cal retired 20 some years ago is when he was tanking. Sorry, I don't like him. I guess I had my dates wrong on when the Orioles started sucking again after having a good run for a while but I don't like Angelos mainly for his stance against DC baseball.

Honestly I feel he was right about this market only being able to support one team, but also, winning changes things.  Just like we have seen with the football teams. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Wow.......Seattle got FLEECED.  Giving up two first round picks and a third, AND they have to sign Adams to a mega-extension.  Turrible trade.  

Maybe, depends on if they win another Super Bowl w/ Russ & a revamped D. I think they should sign Josh Gordon & re-sign Clowney. They do that and they’re the front runners in the NFC IMO to get to the Super Bowl.