2023 TCMD War Room Thread

NYRaider

Our first 5 bids in free agency:

Nate Davis, OG - 3 yr/$30M

Isaiah Wynn - 3 yr/$19.5M

Byron Murphy - 2 yr/$16M

Jamaal Adams - 3 yr/$24M

Rock Ya-Sin - 3 yr/$24M

If all five of these workout we're going to basically be set in the secondary and on the offensive line with $25M in cap left to work with (5th most remaining) and 11 draft picks. 

• Like 1

Depth Chart as of today:

QB - Mac Jones | Chase Garbers 

RB - Josh Jacobs | Zamir White | Brittain Brown

FB

WR - Davante Adams | DJ Turner

WR - Hunter Renfrow | Tyler Johnson

TE - Darren Waller

LT - Kolton Miller | Justin Herron 

LG

C - Dylan Parham

RG - Nate Davis 

RT - Isaiah Wynn | Thayer Munford 

-------------------------------------

DE - Maxx Crosby | Malcolm Koonce

DT - Neil Farrell Jr | Matthew Butler

DT - Da'Ron Payne | Adam Butler

DE - Chandler Jones

LB - Divine Debalo

LB - Luke Masterson

CB - Rock Ya-Sin | Amik Robertson 

CB - Nate Hobbs | Tyler Hall

CB - Byron Murphy | Sam Webb

SS - Jamaal Adams 

FS - Trevon Moehrig

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

Things that still need to be addressed:

QB2 - Likely will just bring Stidham back on the minimum. 

WR3/Depth - We need another starting level WR and some depth behind Adams/Renfrow. 

LG - Could move Parham back here depending on how free agency / draft shakes out.

iOL depth - Need to sign a couple versatile guys that can play all three spots. 

DT - Need two starting level DT's, will probably bring Billings back though. 

Edge Depth - Need another pass rusher or two behind Jones/Crosby

LB / Depth - Need another starting LB and some depth, could bring Perryman back

S Depth - Need a third safety, gonna try to bring Harmon back 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Decided to pull the trigger on...

Raiders receive: Mac Jones, #14

Patriots receive: #7, #70

Not a huge Mac fan but we were able to land him for basically a third round pick and he only has a $4M cap hit so we'll be able to build out the rest of the roster. 

Based off of the draft value chart that puts Mac at the 29th pick.  If you would have received their 2nd back also then he would be valued at a 3rd round pick.  I would have been fine with that because we move down but pick up an extra player.  It is a decent trade if you believe he has a shot at being the QBOTF.  Otherwise you got hosed a little.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Based off of the draft value chart that puts Mac at the 29th pick.  If you would have received their 2nd back also then he would be valued at a 3rd round pick.  I would have been fine with that because we move down but pick up an extra player.  It is a decent trade if you believe he has a shot at being the QBOTF.  Otherwise you got hosed a little.

Moving down 7 spots wasn't really a big deal to me personally because I don't see a huge gap between the guys that will likely be there at 7 vs who will be there at 14, it's a weak draft class. I feel a lot more comfortable rolling into the season with Mac Jones as the starter than I would have with either Levis or Richardson. Mac also only has a $4M cap hit which allowed me to retool the defense and OL while any other high profile QB would've cost around $30M APY. 

I ended up flipping #14 for Payne and with the refunded cap from the draft allocation + his extension he'd only have a $12M cap hit (-$5M we get back from not picking a player), so $7M in year one.

In the end I was able to flip #7 / #70 for Mac Jones / Da'Ron Payne at a combined cap hit of like $11M, I'll take that all day everyday.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Moving down 7 spots wasn't really a big deal to me personally because I don't see a huge gap between the guys that will likely be there at 7 vs who will be there at 14, it's a weak draft class. I feel a lot more comfortable rolling into the season with Mac Jones as the starter than I would have with either Levis or Richardson. Mac also only has a $4M cap hit which allowed me to retool the defense and OL while any other high profile QB would've cost around $30M APY. 

I agree about feeling more comfortable with Jones over Levi and Richardson but I think if you would have held off until the draft to make that trade you would have received a lot more in a trade if either of those two where still on the board.  You also never know who would have been on the board for us at 7.  Strange things happen sometimes.  Never trade an early first before the draft.  The value almost always goes up in the draft.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I agree about feeling more comfortable with Jones over Levi and Richardson but I think if you would have held off until the draft to make that trade you would have received a lot more in a trade if either of those two where still on the board.  You also never know who would have been on the board for us at 7.  Strange things happen sometimes.  Never trade an early first before the draft.  The value almost always goes up in the draft.

I really didn't want to be left high and dry without a QB and I was able to flip #14 for Da'Ron Payne so I addressed our two biggest needs with the 7th/70th pick for $11M in cap space.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I really didn't want to be left high and dry without a QB and I was able to flip #14 for Da'Ron Payne so I addressed our two biggest needs with the 7th/70th pick for $11M in cap space.

I thought Payne was a FA?  How was his hit only $7 million?

Just now, drfrey13 said:

I thought Payne was a FA?  How was his hit only $7 million?

He was tagged but I traded away #14 and I'm extending him. Rookie contracts were already calculated into cap space so I received $5M back when I traded away our pick and I was able to structure his deal to have a $12M cap hit in year one.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was tagged but I traded away #14 and I'm extending him. Rookie contracts were already calculated into cap space so I received $5M back when I traded away our pick and I was able to structure his deal to have a $12M cap hit in year one.

What is the full contract.  I know it does not matter for this situation but I would like to know what they see is an acceptable contract for him.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

What is the full contract.  I know it does not matter for this situation but I would like to know what they see is an acceptable contract for him.

5 years / $95M

I was able to restructure a bunch of stuff as well, we still have $25M in cap space with Jacobs/RYS back after acquiring Jones, Payne, Adams, Murphy, Davis, and Wynn.

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I ended up flipping #14 for Payne and with the refunded cap from the draft allocation + his extension he'd only have a $12M cap hit (-$5M we get back from not picking a player), so $7M in year one.

In the end I was able to flip #7 / #70 for Mac Jones / Da'Ron Payne at a combined cap hit of like $11M, I'll take that all day everyday.

Woah, not a big fan of the Mac Jones trade but redeemed with the Payne trade! Especially as they are both on board for a very cap friendly amount. Bring Stidham back and you’ll have two guys who know the system well too.

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Things that still need to be addressed:

QB2 - Likely will just bring Stidham back on the minimum. 

WR3/Depth - We need another starting level WR and some depth behind Adams/Renfrow. 

LG - Could move Parham back here depending on how free agency / draft shakes out.

iOL depth - Need to sign a couple versatile guys that can play all three spots. 

DT - Need two starting level DT's, will probably bring Billings back though. 

Edge Depth - Need another pass rusher or two behind Jones/Crosby

LB / Depth - Need another starting LB and some depth, could bring Perryman back

S Depth - Need a third safety, gonna try to bring Harmon back 

Good that the backbone of the team is in place.

Interior OLine I’d look to target in rounds 3 onward in the draft and think that can be filled there.

QB Stidham is the obvious choice as he knows the scheme and he is a known quantity for the coaching staff. We can always see if a talent falls in the draft too.

WR I’d look for a speed option in the mid to lower part of the draft.

DT the obvious move is bring back Billings who is good and perfectly compliments Payne. This also takes DT off the board as a desperate need and you can look who drops and brings value in the draft.

DE we need Jones successor but this draft seems deep with edge talent so I’ve no doubt someone will fall to us and present good value. 

LB will probably be a position that can be filled in the later tiers of FA for decent money and a position that may drop in the draft too. Perryman wouldn’t be a terrible option depending upon the cost.

Bringing Harmon back IMO would be a very sensible option, he was our best DB this last season. At worst, he’s an old head back there and mentor.

I think you’ve done a tidy job so far, setting up for taking BPA in the draft and not tipping your hand.