2023 TCMD War Room Thread

NYRaider

Hello everyone, I am the GM for the Raiders in the TCMD this year. We can use this thread as our war room to make decisions. It's essentially like a mock offseason against 31 other GMs. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19fkArire4pykRUH6csFFzA2REk7EzDsJ0jcGPelOjrI/edit#gid=1639233158

For whatever reason we only have $2.6M in cap space entering free agency. Obvious cut candidates are Carr, Nichols, James, and Bolden. Let me know if you have any suggestions. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Hello everyone, I am the GM for the Raiders in the TCMD this year. We can use this thread as our war room to make decisions. It's essentially like a mock offseason against 31 other GMs. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19fkArire4pykRUH6csFFzA2REk7EzDsJ0jcGPelOjrI/edit#gid=1639233158

For whatever reason we only have $2.6M in cap space entering free agency. Obvious cut candidates are Carr, Nichols, James, and Bolden. Let me know if you have any suggestions. 

Well that's lame. Our cap situation is as accurate as Jamarcus Russell.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Ah, still pretty weak but yes I'd say 100% cut the likes of Carr, Nichols, James, and Bolden. Can you make trades in this universe, i.e. any interest in Carr or nah?

Unfortunately not, I tried to shop him but everyone knows that we're looking to release him. 

Releasing those 4 would put us at $43M in cap space, I'm also planning to restructure Chandler Jones deal. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Unfortunately not, I tried to shop him but everyone knows that we're looking to release him. 

Releasing those 4 would put us at $43M in cap space, I'm also planning to restructure Chandler Jones deal. 

That's interesting you can restructure too. I am brutal at the numbers side of things but will be following along to see who you sign/draft, etc.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How long do you have to make trades.  Just hold on to him.  When someone does not get the QB they want they should bite.  If not then you do not have to worry about a QB.  They want to play that way and do things other teams are not then you do things the way you want.  Worst case scenario is you have a QB for $32 million that you can cut after this season.  Your reasoning is that after Brady retired you, Adams, and Carr came together and agreed to give it one last shot.  You can look to trade other players to get cap space.  Just make sure you sign a back up that you could roll with as a last resort so you do not back yourself into a corner.  Keep Carr on your trade block the entire time.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

How long do you have to make trades.  Just hold on to him.  When someone does not get the QB they want they should bite.  If not then you do not have to worry about a QB.  They want to play that way and do things other teams are not then you do things the way you want.  Worst case scenario is you have a QB for $32 million that you can cut after this season.  Your reasoning is that after Brady retired you, Adams, and Carr came together and agreed to give it one last shot.  You can look to trade other players to get cap space.  Just make sure you sign a back up that you could roll with as a last resort so you do not back yourself into a corner.  Keep Carr on your trade block the entire time.

The only issue is that we won't really have any money for free agency unless we move Carr.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The only issue is that we won't really have any money for free agency unless we move Carr.

You can make some space and it allows you to not rush into anything.  If you end up keeping him it frees up your draft and you might get close to $20 million by restructuring Miller and Waller.  Somebody will get desperate.  There are going to be more than a couple teams that do not have a starting caliber QB after FA.  Once someone I willing to give up a pick then the teams that missed out can start to bid.  Push for a #2 in 2023 and a #1 in 2024.  You will get your cap relief and be able to fill a lot of holes with bargain FAs.  Plus you will have extra picks going into the draft.  How long does FA last?  From what I remember it was more than a week.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Cool, I used to love doing these when the whole forum would get involved!

I think you've got your cut candidates there but to be frank, I'd cut anyone that isn't a core player moving forward that you can get a decent saving on. Can you do restructures as you're not really worried about the numbers going forward, maybe you can restructure Carr rather than just cut him for nothing and try and trade him later on? They've left you in a world of pain with those cap numbers!!!

I see that @Humble_Beast is your co-GM/HC so that QB discussion is going to be interesting 😁

Edited by Darbsk

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Cool, I used to love doing these when the whole forum would get involved!

I think you've got your cut candidates there but to be frank, I'd cut anyone that isn't a core player moving forward that you can get a decent saving on. Can you do restructures as you're not really worried about the numbers going forward, maybe you can restructure Carr rather than just cut him for nothing and try and trade him later on? They've left you in a world of pain with those cap numbers!!!

I see that @Humble_Beast is your co-GM/HC so that QB discussion is going to be interesting 😁

Considering restructures for Carr, Chandler, Crosby, Waller, Renfrow, and Adams. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Considering restructures for Carr, Chandler, Crosby, Waller, Renfrow, and Adams. 

How realistic is this entire thing supposed to be? Are you allowed to restructure anyone/unlimited times? 6 restructures in the same offseason seems like a lot, but maybe it's common.

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How realistic is this entire thing supposed to be? Are you allowed to restructure anyone/unlimited times? 6 restructures in the same offseason seems like a lot, but maybe it's common.

I don't think we can restructure all of them but I'm assuming 2-3 and I'd do whichever give us the biggest cap savings. 

On 2/6/2023 at 5:40 PM, NYRaider said:

Sure restructuring makes sense for a league like this, but in real life I’d definitely not want to restructure Jones. If he doesn’t have a good year we need to be able to cut bait.  Ziegler really messed up on this contract structure IMO, even after 2 seasons if you cut Jones he still has 7.2M in dead cap.   McKenzie had his faults but he was spot on with his roster bonuses over signing bonuses in year 1, no dead cap after year 2 approach.  Restructuring Jones in real life means we’d have a 10-15M dead cap hit come next offseason, which means we’d probably have to make him a 6/1 cut and that means not having that money for the start of FA.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Sure restructuring makes sense for a league like this, but in real life I’d definitely not want to restructure Jones. If he doesn’t have a good year we need to be able to cut bait.  Ziegler really messed up on this contract structure IMO, even after 2 seasons if you cut Jones he still has 7.2M in dead cap.   McKenzie had his faults but he was spot on with his roster bonuses over signing bonuses in year 1, no dead cap after year 2 approach.  Restructuring Jones in real life means we’d have a 10-15M dead cap hit come next offseason, which means we’d probably have to make him a 6/1 cut and that means not having that money for the start of FA.

RM was spot on with the exception of Austin Howard.  That was a rookie mistake.