The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

13 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I think if he hits a few bangers in the draft and gets depth with older players looking for that last check and then some undrafted guys, he would have earned the check. TJ was undrafted. Check some teams practice squads too. Howie has his tricks 

Oh yeah for sure.  That's my guy.. love me some Howie

2 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Lol 17 year deal. 16 void years 

Brandon Graham currently has a deal with bonus money due that is not going away

2023 - 8.16 million

2024 - 5.66 million ( void year )

2025 - 3.235 million ( void year )

2026 - 1.25 million ( void year )

So for 2023, his cap hit goes from 9.66 million to 14.5 million, and all those void year hits are still in place.

If he retires after this year, he will have a dead cap next year of 10.148 million, unless they do a June 1st cut.

3 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I can't believe we are still relying on Graham after all this time and resources. I have been ready to see him go for a while but we find a way to still need him.

I remember the night we drafted him lol friend and I were having a drink after work and seen him getting drafted and was like.... What the fffff

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Glad BG is back. Obviously the secondary is the big concern now though. Losing CJGJ and Slay is pretty much not going to be possible to recover from.

Might be time to use a 1st round pick on a CB. Last time that happened was 2002.

We are due for some young homegrown talent at CB. That '02 draft netted us Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, and Michael Lewis.

It's not a bad year to go 3 DBs early either 😁

• Like 2

Just now, Shalodeep said:

I remember the night we drafted him lol friend and I were having a drink after work and seen him getting drafted and was like.... What the fffff

Everyone and their grandma wanted Earl Thomas from Texas, which one can still argue would have been the better choice, but who knows if he would be the same stud with our coaching staff instead of Seattle's.

At least BG eventually came around and became a Super Bowl hero for us.

Jason Kelce even mentioned it in his victory speech: "Brandon Graham was drafted too high" 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Everyone and their grandma wanted Earl Thomas from Texas, which one can still argue would have been the better choice, but who knows if he would be the same stud with our coaching staff instead of Seattle's.

At least BG eventually came around and became a Super Bowl hero for us.

Jason Kelce even mentioned it in his victory speech: "Brandon Graham was drafted too high" 🤣

All anyone could say was he had a high motor....ended up hating that terminology for a player. Graham is a weird situation. Became good and stayed good for his career, but never once felt like a dominant player. I wanted Earl Thomas too lol was before I realized Philly's draft patterns 

14 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Might be time to use a 1st round pick on a CB. Last time that happened was 2002.

We are due for some young homegrown talent at CB. That '02 draft netted us Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, and Michael Lewis.

It's not a bad year to go 3 DBs early either 😁

I am all for drafting a CB early regardless of what happens with Slay, but if we are counting on two rookies to start at DB.... it likely isn't gunna be pretty regardless of talent. That is not the easiest spot to transition from college to the pros.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am all for drafting a CB early regardless of what happens with Slay, but if we are counting on two rookies to start at DB.... it likely isn't gunna be pretty regardless of talent. That is not the easiest spot to transition from college to the pros.

Half of kcs defense was rookies if I'm not mistaken 

5 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

It's risky for sure, but the Chiefs rolled in with 2 young corners this year, one of which was a rookie, so it's not like there isn't precedent for having young starters at CB.

Maddox has found his niche at nickel CB and is still under contract, and we still have Slay for now and there's still a chance he stays.  I don't think Bradberry is coming back though.

12 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Seahawks rookie Tariq Woolen played 98% of the snaps last year.

Michael Jackson, the other corner played 94% of the snaps, and he had played 29 defensive snaps before last year.

Rookie Coby Bryant played more than 60% of the snaps.

Seahawks made the playoffs with a heck of a lot less on the D-Line and offense than the Eagles had.

If you select the right rookies, it will be OK.

Edited by downundermike

Just now, downundermike said:

Seahawks rookie Tariq Woolen played 98% of the snaps last year.

Michael Jackson, the other corner played 94% of the snaps, and he had played 29 defensive snaps last year.

Rookie Coby Bryant played more than 60% of the snaps.

Seahawks made the playoffs with a heck of a lot less on the D-Line and offense than the Eagles had.

If you select the right rookies, it will be OK.

Yeah it is possible. That doesn't mean that should be your plan. I certainly hope we aren't going into draft night wondering who our two starting CB's are.