Oakland ( hopefully soon to be Las Vegas ) Athletics discussion

downundermike

New to the forum, do not see a thread for the A's, not that there is much good to discuss lately.

I am hoping the team is forced to move to Vegas, and then they will have a few bucks to compete with the big boys again, and keep that home grown talent.

Still kills me to see my boy Oly playing for the Braves.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

In a perfect world it would.  But it likely just means more money in the pockets of your owner.

Yes, the owner will make more, but instead of being last in payroll, 100 million less than the MLB average, they will be in the top half, and I expect top 10 of payroll.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, the owner will make more, but instead of being last in payroll, 100 million less than the MLB average, they will be in the top half, and I expect top 10 of payroll.

The A's are in the top 10 of baseball profit right now as is.  They don't have the revenue coming in by themselves, but they have been getting loads of revenue sharing from the big markets for years.  I think Forbes had them as the 5th most profitable team in the majors in 2022.  This is solely because your owner cares more about his wallet than providing a good baseball team for the fans.  There is absolutely no reason to think that he would change things with a move.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The A's are in the top 10 of baseball profit right now as is.  They don't have the revenue coming in by themselves, but they have been getting loads of revenue sharing from the big markets for years.  I think Forbes had them as the 5th most profitable team in the majors in 2022.  This is solely because your owner cares more about his wallet than providing a good baseball team for the fans.  There is absolutely no reason to think that he would change things with a move.  

That is misleading though, for 2022......

A's had a profit of 62.2 million, with a payroll of 48 million.

The Giants had a profit of 74.9 million, with a payroll of 157.8 million.

If the A's had the same payroll as the Reds, who ranked 21st at 113 million, they would have been in the negative for 2022.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

That is misleading though, for 2022......

A's had a profit of 62.2 million, with a payroll of 48 million.

The Giants had a profit of 74.9 million, with a payroll of 157.8 million.

If the A's had the same payroll as the Reds, who ranked 21st at 113 million, they would have been in the negative for 2022.

My point was that your owner doesn't care about the team at all.  He only cares about his own profits.  Take $52 million out of the $62 million profit and the A's have a $100 million payroll.  They can keep a player or two with that much more money.  Or they could dip into FA and try to shore up a few of their holes.  But Fisher was having none of that.  Far better for him to be able to pocket that money than actually spending it on the team.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

lol one time at Miller Park, I was like 2 rows up from the field but we had an annoying dude behind us and I was getting a migraine so I dipped out and went to a completely empty section and sat down for like 2 minutes before an usher asked me for my ticket. I told him where I was originally sitting, told him what was going on and then this ******* just started repeating in the most obnoxious tone, "you can't sit here, sir!" over and over. I just got up and went to my car until my family was ready to leave.

Later that season, I was at a game with my buddies and one of them is a security guard part time there, we eventually moved to another section. This very same usher came over and started shooting the **** with my buddy. I told him to ask us for our tickets and he said "nah no big deal!" and then I told him about the time he just kept repeating "you can't sit here, sir!" to me and he laughed at me like a total stooge. Was like "It's okay to do it when you know the person though, hey?" and he just shut the hell up. Clown show.