Lunatics (OVERLY Optimistic) Combine Mock

StLunatic88

14 hours ago, Epyon said:

DE-Murphy: I don't like this pick. The comparison for him shouldn't be Myles Garret, it should be Jadevon Clowney. Uber athletic guy who never comes close to living up to the athletic potential. I think his floor is decently high on that athletic potential, but I have very very little faith he's going to live up to his draft status.

I never said he’s Myles Garrett. I said that’s who he wants to be. He’s said that. That’s a guy who knows where his ceiling is, it’s going to be hard to get there, but I think there’s a decent chance he gets close. 

Also, remember this is the 9th pick, not the 1st pick. If you could get Clowneys career out of the 9th pick, you’d be lying if you said you wouldn’t take that. 

Sure, I’d love Tyree Wilson too, but he’s not close to available here. I’m also not against us getting an OL here, or even a CB (although Witherspoon has gotten WAY overhyped in the past month) but I still have Murphy as a Top 5 prospect in this draft, so getting him at #9 is a great result in this scenario

I think Davenport on a one or two year deal is well worth exploring.   

I took a lot of heat for it in FA game thread.  But I was playing by rules of that thread with his salary.

I well understand the risk.  He doesn’t play full seasons and he played so bad last year he actually got benched at end of year. 

This is still a young dude with huge upside who has some great film in the NFL versus NFL players.  He came out of college as a raw prospect.

My reasoning is we HAVE to spend a LOT of money, Payne is off board so we aren’t spending that money AND we badly need an edge, probably two edges.  Hopefully we get one high in draft as well.  But rookie edges don’t always hit ground running and they miss a lot to boot.  There is no edge in this class that is a sure thing.  

I don’t know why he had such a huge down year.  I speculate he was traumatized by loss of his finger in offseason and came in not in top condition.  But I don’t really know.  

I know that guys often think 3 - 5 years in that they don’t need to keep preparing as hard as they can, but this is still highest level of competition.  

Edited by dll2000

On 3/4/2023 at 8:49 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Also, remember this is the 9th pick, not the 1st pick. If you could get Clowneys career out of the 9th pick, you’d be lying if you said you wouldn’t take that. 

Having only 3 seasons of more than 6 sacks and never having even 10 in a single season? Idk, I don't think it's a lie to say you wouldn't be happy with that with a top ten pick who has played in the NFL for 9 years.