Colts 2023 Draft Picks

Wyld Stallyns

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/03/10/how-colts-arrived-8-picks-2023-nfl-draft/69994076007/

Colts 2023 NFL Draft picks

• Round 1, No. 4
  • Round 2, No. 35
  • Round 3, No. 79
  • Round 4, No. 106
  • Round 5, No. 138
  • Round 5, No. 162
  • Round 7, No. 221
  • Round 7, No. 236

#67, the Colts original 3rd rounder was traded to Denver when we moved up to select Nick Cross last year.

#79 was the pick we received from Wash for Carson Wentz.

#162 is the selection we received from Buffalo for Nyheim Hines 

#181 in round 6 was traded to Tampa Bay for LB Grant Stuard and #236 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just for some fun discussion, that's 8 picks listed. Should we discuss 5 positions that have to be hit when all is said and done??

I mean one we will all agree on. Pretty obvious; QB.

If I had to pick 4 others, I will say OL in some regard, WR. CB probably x2. And I want to say a developmental Edge.

QB / CB / WR / OL / Edge

Maybe some LB depth. After the Leonard pick this team has had the habit of just developing really late LB picks. Or a better #2 RB. Safety depth? 

Seems like we're destined to spend a pick on TE Payne Durham too, although I'm not really sure why based on current roster. We've spent a lot of time with him. Maybe they're hoping he goes undrafted and they'll have the inside track. Wishful thinking imo. 

Any other thoughts??

9 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Just for some fun discussion, that's 8 picks listed. Should we discuss 5 positions that have to be hit when all is said and done??

I mean one we will all agree on. Pretty obvious; QB.

If I had to pick 4 others, I will say OL in some regard, WR. CB probably x2. And I want to say a developmental Edge.

QB / CB / WR / OL / Edge

Maybe some LB depth. After the Leonard pick this team has had the habit of just developing really late LB picks. Or a better #2 RB. Safety depth? 

Seems like we're destined to spend a pick on TE Payne Durham too, although I'm not really sure why based on current roster. We've spent a lot of time with him. Maybe they're hoping he goes undrafted and they'll have the inside track. Wishful thinking imo. 

Any other thoughts??

I agree with your 5. I guess if I had any change, it would be QB / CB / WR / OL / LB. As far as CB....I remember very few seasons where this team has not run short on CB's over the course of the season. It's ALWAYS an issue. 

Nice to have BR settling in at LT. He really came on as the year progressed. Bright spot of the season, IMO. Hard to assess the WR because of QB/OL issues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

I agree with your 5. I guess if I had any change, it would be QB / CB / WR / OL / LB. As far as CB....I remember very few seasons where this team has not run short on CB's over the course of the season. It's ALWAYS an issue. 

Nice to have BR settling in at LT. He really came on as the year progressed. Bright spot of the season, IMO. Hard to assess the WR because of QB/OL issues. 

I like the McKenzie signing. Still think round 4-5 could net us a nice depth WR with potential. I've done a few collaborative mocks with guys and it's deep through at least round 4. Yeah the reports on BR are kinda all over the place. A challenger at LT, starter at RG, or future C are all on the table. Team apparently met with Dawand Jones, which is interesting since he doesn't fit our usual height/weight standards, plus plays a position we are seemingly set at. But his tape is very good, and it's intriguing anyways. I've wondered a couple times over the last couple off-seasons if the team has ever toyed with the idea of trying Braden Smith at LT, if they believe they can find a value starter at RT. Have no idea really. Just a curiosity.

2 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

I like the McKenzie signing. Still think round 4-5 could net us a nice depth WR with potential. I've done a few collaborative mocks with guys and it's deep through at least round 4. Yeah the reports on BR are kinda all over the place. A challenger at LT, starter at RG, or future C are all on the table. Team apparently met with Dawand Jones, which is interesting since he doesn't fit our usual height/weight standards, plus plays a position we are seemingly set at. But his tape is very good, and it's intriguing anyways. I've wondered a couple times over the last couple off-seasons if the team has ever toyed with the idea of trying Braden Smith at LT, if they believe they can find a value starter at RT. Have no idea really. Just a curiosity.

Yes on Jones. Hard to ignore 370#, 6'8" and a 7' wing span. Very few humans have those measurables....and can move. I'm also high on the McKenzie signing. He was a loss by them for the numbers game. Could he be our Welker/Edelman?

For the most part I agree with your lists I just don’t know what to say about LB because we mostly use 2 LBs and occasionally 3. Leonard, Franklin and Speed will take a majority of the defensive snaps with Domann, Rhyne, Stuard and Magrone covering special teams 

I think a veteran safety could be in the works but with Thomas/Blackmon/Cross I’m not sure how that works. We could use a blocking TE but there is potential for Drew Ogletree to fill that spot. That leaves interior Off and Def Line

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2023 at 7:47 PM, RTTRUTH said:

QB, DE, SS, CB2, MLB.

Probably won't be able to cover all the bases in one draft but it looks like the Colts might get lucky at QB.  In the AFC-South that might be enough (if Houston drops the ball).

• Like 1