Commanders sign OT/G Andrew Wylie and OG/C Nick Gates

MikeT14

On 3/17/2023 at 9:55 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

The smart team-building strategy that are employed by those franchises who compete year in and year out is to always spend a Round 1-3 pick on an offensive lineman, and if they don’t do that in an odd year, it’s usually a fourth rounder.  

You always build in the trenches so you have rotational depth, and then when contracts are coming due, you can afford to let someone take the walk for a bigger contract and replace them with someone cheaper…….or in the case of a top talent like Orlando Brown, you can trade him to a contender for a late first rounder.  

Signing one of these guys, especially the one from KC in a transitional year, is OK, but we have done a little too much of this during Rivera’s tenure.  

Yeah, this better not be all they do. They need to draft an OL in one of the top 3 rounds.

Wylie numbers finally out.  It is another backloaded deal. 

Year 1)4M

Year 2)9.5M

Year 3)10M

They can get out after year 2 for a 2.5M cap hit.  I hope they are right on him.  They certainly are paying. 

I guess Cosmi is a bust.  He can't stay healthy so what can you do.  RG, maybe, I wasn't that impressed with what I saw.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, offbyone said:

Year 1)4M

Year 2)9.5M

Year 3)10M

They can get out after year 2 for a 2.5M cap hit.  I hope they are right on him.  They certainly are paying. 

I guess Cosmi is a bust.  He can't stay healthy so what can you do.  RG, maybe, I wasn't that impressed with what I saw.

I'm not quite ready to call Cosmi a bust. Definitely has had injury issues with us, but that wasn't the case back in college, where he played in every game of his career (and started all but one). He did miss the last two games of his junior year, but that was by choice, as he shut it down to get ready for the draft. The injury issues are new, in other words, which leads me to believe it may be more about bad fortune so far as a pro, rather than a chronic/recurring problem.

I didn't love him at RG last season either. But he's also never played there. With a full offseason to work at the position, that could be a very different story. He is uber-athletic for a guard, and the short arms that have seemed to prove problematic at times as a pro RT won't be a major hindrance to him there. In fact, if they were somehow able to land Skoronski to play LG, I'd go so far as to say that he and Cosmi might be the most athletic OG duo in memory. They're both sure thing OTs if not for short arms, which gives them monster upside on the interior.

It's interesting, because Andrew Wylie was a surprisingly good athlete coming out too, which suggests that they value such things. But they also obviously sought out Nick Gates, and he was a terrible athlete. So they're a bit tough to pin down on that issue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I'm not quite ready to call Cosmi a bust. Definitely has had injury issues with us, but that wasn't the case back in college, where he played in every game of his career (and started all but one). He did miss the last two games of his junior year, but that was by choice, as he shut it down to get ready for the draft. The injury issues are new, in other words, which leads me to believe it may be more about bad fortune so far as a pro, rather than a chronic/recurring problem.

I didn't love him at RG last season either. But he's also never played there. With a full offseason to work at the position, that could be a very different story. He is uber-athletic for a guard, and the short arms that have seemed to prove problematic at times as a pro RT won't be a major hindrance to him there. In fact, if they were somehow able to land Skoronski to play LG, I'd go so far as to say that he and Cosmi might be the most athletic OG duo in memory. They're both sure thing OTs if not for short arms, which gives them monster upside on the interior.

It's interesting, because Andrew Wylie was a surprisingly good athlete coming out too, which suggests that they value such things. But they also obviously sought out Nick Gates, and he was a terrible athlete. So they're a bit tough to pin down on that issue.

I am glad to hear I am not the only one who wasn't wowed by Cosmi at guard.  It seems like everyone has been positive about it and I saw very little that knocked my socks off.

Part of the reason I am calling bust is because frankly I thought he showed a lot of promise when healthy at RT so I am puzzled by the push to move him to RG.  I thought the only reason to put him at RG was because we had no one worthwhile at RG and Lucas could also play RT.  So I thought the only reason was to have the best guys on the field.  

Agree that some of their decision making odd.  I like the idea of Gates but I am also concerned that we suffered from persistent injuries at Center and then they go out and get a guy that is still recovering from a massive injury.  

We really need one high level player on the oline.  Although I guess improving on Norwell and Turner won't be a big task.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, offbyone said:

Year 1)4M

Year 2)9.5M

Year 3)10M

The reason Cosmi hasn’t shown more is obviously his injuries. If the guy could just stay healthy I think he would’ve proven by now he’d be the answer at RT or RG. He didn’t play awful when he was healthy and played.

Hopefully this year he stays healthy and is our answer at RG, but he needs better competition. We need to draft a G in the 1st 3 rounds to compete w/ Cosmi or even beat him out.