2017 Houston Texans Training Camp

amazingandre

610 reported that Rick Smith wasn't at practice today (didn't know he attended, to be honest) and he cancelled an appearance on the Texans training camp radio show (hosted by Vandy and Matt Harris).

Speculation is that he's inquiring on WRs available (in terms of FA or a potential trade) or meeting with the agents of DeAndre Hopkins and/or Duane Brown.

I'm going to speculate that it's Hopkins.

Day 7 - http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/21-observations-from-TexansCamp-Day-7/278187de-5d09-4fd8-8aff-257ac2d11287
Biggest thing to me in this one is that apparently Reader is having a great camp especailly rushing the passer. So he is probably a guy that can be a 3 down player for us.

Day 9 - http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/24-observations-from-TexansCamp-Day-9/235635b0-93c9-4b77-875e-dde8c0a35811

Don't know what happened to day 8.

On another topic for those not paying attention Martin has been getting all 1st snaps at center from OTAs up to now. So he isn't moving to guard with Mancz remaining center. He'll almost certainly start at center for us week 1

Also maybe of note here is the unofficial depth chart
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-unofficial-depth-chart-for-preseason-opener/470abc81-39a7-4594-94eb-b217c6334b79

The thing that jumped out to me immediately is that it has Kevin Johnson penciled in as the starter over Kareem Jackson. So we might see Kareem in the slot rather than out wide. That's a suprisingly good development.

Other than that nothing surprising. Even rookies we expect to play a bigger role than some veterans are listed behind them on the depth chart for the first preseason game. Gotta make them work for it.

16 hours ago, mse326 said:

Also maybe of note here is the unofficial depth chart
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-unofficial-depth-chart-for-preseason-opener/470abc81-39a7-4594-94eb-b217c6334b79

The thing that jumped out to me immediately is that it has Kevin Johnson penciled in as the starter over Kareem Jackson. So we might see Kareem in the slot rather than out wide. That's a suprisingly good development.

Other than that nothing surprising. Even rookies we expect to play a bigger role than some veterans are listed behind them on the depth chart for the first preseason game. Gotta make them work for it.

From what I've heard, Kareem is everywhere - slot, playing high as a S, inside the box as a S/LB, etc.

Ted Johnson on 610 observed it as very Tyrann Mathieu-like. And I'm ok with that.

3 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Interesting comments from Herm Edwards

What is everyones thought on what Herm said?

I think, unless Savage goes all Drew Brees in the next two starts, Watson will get the nod for game 3 and beyond. 

The only reason to start Savage was to let Watson learn the system and speed of the game. If that's done, there's no real reason to let Savage start. Yeah, we'd like to think that Savage is a competent starter, but that's like finding a winning lottery ticket. The odds are pretty much against it.

If Watson is progressing faster than expected, put him in. No need to overthink it, he's your future at the position.

Progressing faster than expected doesn't mean he's ready or better than Savage at this point. And this team is too good to not put your best in there. More the players are not going to stand for that when there is a chance to win.

Everything I've read suggests that Savage is still throwing better and Hopkins has been very vocal about supporting Savage as the starter.

No I don't think Watson starts week 1 and with what has been reported so far I agree. The only reason you start Watson is if you can legitimately say he gives you a better chance THIS year.

18 hours ago, mse326 said:

Progressing faster than expected doesn't mean he's ready or better than Savage at this point. And this team is too good to not put your best in there. More the players are not going to stand for that when there is a chance to win.

Everything I've read suggests that Savage is still throwing better and Hopkins has been very vocal about supporting Savage as the starter.

No I don't think Watson starts week 1 and with what has been reported so far I agree. The only reason you start Watson is if you can legitimately say he gives you a better chance THIS year.

I hate the Houston media. The reports are so all over the place about Watson and our players that its hard to know how its actually going. And with them not being in Houston, the fans perspective is eliminated. My only concern if they are considering starting Watson week 1 is his lack of reps with the 1's, thats why I think tonights game will have a huge impact on how the rest of TC goes with regards to the reps. If Savage can slam the door tonight and play great, then it's for sure his job. If he struggles, then I think we will see Watson get more reps with the 1s and possibly start next week.

2 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I hate the Houston media. The reports are so all over the place about Watson and our players that its hard to know how its actually going. And with them not being in Houston, the fans perspective is eliminated. My only concern if they are considering starting Watson week 1 is his lack of reps with the 1's, thats why I think tonights game will have a huge impact on how the rest of TC goes with regards to the reps. If Savage can slam the door tonight and play great, then it's for sure his job. If he struggles, then I think we will see Watson get more reps with the 1s and possibly start next week.

John Lopez and Sean Pendergast - two guys who were in WV - both gave said on the record that Watson will start Week 1.

This being said, they didn't really go into specifics. Both had good things to say about the offense, regardless who was running it. 

The name that has won everyone over? Foreman. They're REALLY high on him, saying that his running has been inspired, and he's surprisingly good in the passing game.

Archived