Was Danny White better than Dak Prescott

Towerbridge

I started watching the Cowboys in the early 80s, so Danny White was the quarterback. Despite Roger Staubach memorabilia adorning the living room from my Dad, as far as I was concerned, Danny White was THE quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. It took me a long time to warm up to Troy Aikman later. 

Danny was a better athlete than Dak and also punted the ball.  As in, not a trick play, he punted the ball for the Cowboys on 4th down; we didn't have another punter on the roster.  As a kid, I thought that was just normal. 

Beyond that, Dak is a better QB.  

• 3 months later...

Danny White was one of the most unfairly treated QBs of all-time. Dallas had a legit top 10, at times top 5 QB for a decade and the only thing they could do was cry that he wasn't Roger Staubach. I think Dak is probably a bit better though on the basis of the terrible coaching he's had to overcome for his whole career.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2023 at 9:02 AM, Towerbridge said:

From what I've read White was treated a bit unfairly because he took over from a legend in Staubach. Would you take him over Dak?

White is statistically the best QB the Cowboys have ever had. He never had the team around him that Staubach did, particularly on defense. Also, it seems clear that Roger was a better game manager for what that is worth. 

The one people sleep on is Tony Romo. He was also much better than Dak.