Ohio State's LB Jerome Baker will be a Saint

Dome

24 minutes ago, Raves said:

Plays a lot like Klein and Anzalone.  Might not be flashy, but they just do their jobs.

No way. He just stood there and maybe trotted around. I'd bet he didn't even have to shower after the game.

I especially like how one of his D-lineman about ran over him (about 5:02 on the tape) because he was being so lazy. And what, about 5 contacts made? 1 solo tackle.

Just now, Mid Iowa said:

No way. He just stood there and maybe trotted around. I'd bet he didn't even have to shower after the game.

I especially like how one of his D-lineman about ran over him (about 5:02 on the tape) because he was being so lazy. And what, about 5 contacts made? 1 solo tackle.

I'm not sure if it's the same defense scheme they are running as last year, pretty sure it isn't, but it seems like all of Ohio State's LBers this year haven't performed at the same level.  Last year he was an absolute beast all over the field making plays, this year it seems like they are dropping them back in coverage and spy a lot more than in previous years.  So I'm not sure if he was being lazy or it's a trend.  I mean I had worse concerns about Bell when he came out, so I'm thinking it's more the defensive scheme than him.  He definitely has the skillset to perform though.  Also just a 1 game sample size where you can see that he was constantly dropped back in zone and to spy the QB on the majority of the plays.  The lazy plays did concern me when I was them, I really haven't been watching him this past year specifically, honestly I normally am a little sick when watching all of Ohio State, stemming from the play of JT Barrett and how this team isn't nearly as good as it could be because of him.

Looking at the Iowa game he has some flaws obviously, but I think it's the scheme, he seems to be dropping back in coverage on nearly every snap or trying to play the option/screen guy all the time, this is a much different defense than what they had the past 2 years.  Also a lot of holding by the OL when I was watching the start of the Iowa tape when he attacked the line.

16 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

He literally avoids contact on every play!

They said the same thing about Vonn Bell who has 3.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles and leads our team in tackles this year. I think Raves is on to something about it being a scheme issue. 

I definitely wouldn't want to touch Baker before the 3rd round, but he's honestly probably going to perform well at the combine, interviews, and other predraft activities to cause him to rise to anywhere from very end of the 1st to mid 2nd.

46 minutes ago, Raves said:

Did I miss something?  I figured Baker would be a good 2nd-3rd round LBer for us.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

I definitely wouldn't want to touch Baker before the 3rd round, but he's honestly probably going to perform well at the combine, interviews, and other predraft activities to cause him to rise to anywhere from very end of the 1st to mid 2nd.

I think we trade up into the 40s to grab him. 

7 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Does he look small for a LBer to any of you? 

Not any smaller than some other guys that play LB (even if it's part time, or a different position in title) in the league right now. Guys like Mark Barron, Deone Bucannon, Kenny Vaccaro, and Shaq Thompson all fit this mold. Baker is a bit more of a true linebacker, but he's be used the same way as them. He would fill a role for us and allow us to move on from Vaccaro if we decide to tag him or sign him to a 1-year prove it deal.

1 hour ago, JMG5 said:

I want Evans from Alabama. Not sure if he has injury issues or not.

Evans is the best linebacker in this class and will be a top 20 pick... Baker is an excellent fit in our scheme and fits the mold of the athletic speciman we need at the position but he has mid-round production.

Archived