Losing Cousins and Trading for A. Smith was the beginning of the end for Snyder

MKnight82

13 minutes ago, BeaReylo said:

Jason Taylor is the player your thinking off.  And the team gave up a second round pick for him.

I remember because I got his jersey and another Redskins fan said "man I bet you wish you could return that jersey and get your money back."

Firing Marty, after one bloody year, when he won 8 out of his last 11 games; Haynesworth; and letting Cousins go because he was butt hurt RG3 was a bust made me declare Snyder as the worst owner in franchise history.

Congrats on finally getting rid of him.  Your new owners actually have experience owing a team (The Phillies and Dodgers if I'm correct), so you guys should have a real and professional team operations, now.  And a group that actually cares about the fans!

Are you the dude who used to be FosterTheSkins?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:24 PM, MKnight82 said:

I'm not saying losing Kirk Cousins itself was the reason fans bailed, it was all of the nonsense around the decision that caused it to be the tip of the iceberg. For whatever reason Cousins was not a popular player when he played in Washington. I don't care one way or another about the guy but that is a fact. But the team's double tag standoff with him and then letting a starting QB walk for nothing was about as embarrassing a move a team could do in this league. Couple that with this is the era where Bruce really takes full power of personnel (including shaming McCloughan on his way out the door) and his douchebaggery was in full effect.  He peacocked around acting like the Alex Smith trade was pure genius because they saved some money on the cap which was utterly ridiculous (while losing a 3rd round pick and starting CB in the trade, vs. gaining assets by trading Cousins). Then the cheerleader creepy scandal comes out that year as well with Bruce seen as the ringmaster of all this crap. Its a whole cocktail of incompetence, arrogance, nepotism and smugness that the organization never recovered from. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

On 4/11/2023 at 8:53 AM, Slappy Mc said:

When Snyder fired Marty Schottenheimer to go with Steve Spurrier his goose was cooked. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/14/sports/pro-football-redskins-fire-schottenheimer-and-may-hire-spurrier-to-replace-him.html#:~:text=The Redskins said they fired,''

''Our decision was a difficult one and based on philosophical management issues, not on coaching ability,'' Snyder said in a statement. ''We wish Marty all the best in his future coaching endeavors.''

Snyder has always wanted a puppet HC. The Cousins thing may have been the dam breaking, but it had definitely been leaking since Schotty's departure. 

Heck, you could argue even before that. Casserly had finally built the team back into a winner in 99 after 7 years of failing to do so & he resigned/was forced out bc he & Snyder couldn't work together. 

Snyder inherited a championship contending team that just needed a few upgrades on D & at L. He managed to screw that up w/ FA in 2000.

Then, firing Norv Turner with a winning record? Has to be one of the few times in sports history that happened.

Another sign before the Marty firing/resigning after the 2001 season.

The Cousins 3-year debacle from 2015-2017 was more just the culmination as Mknight eluded too & the off the field crap. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, Thaiphoon said:

This is how far I go back as well. I think his original mistake was getting rid of Casserly in favor of his personal "yes man". But I could forgive him for that first misstep. The Marty firing was the beginning of the dam starting to crack.

Problem is that he didn’t even learn from Gibbs.  There were many instances where he could’ve had a reset of his own, but just chose not to do it.  It’s a shame, because the NFL really wanted him to work out.  I even think most of us drank the kool-aid for 10-15 years that he really wanted to win.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Heck, you could argue even before that. Casserly had finally built the team back into a winner in 99 after 7 years of failing to do so & he resigned/was forced out bc he & Snyder couldn't work together. 

Snyder inherited a championship contending team that just needed a few upgrades on D & at L. He managed to screw that up w/ FA in 2000.

Then, firing Norv Turner with a winning record? Has to be one of the few times in sports history that happened.

Another sign before the Marty firing/resigning after the 2001 season.

The Cousins 3-year debacle from 2015-2017 was more just the culmination as Mknight eluded too & the off the field crap. 

Every new owner wants to bring in their guys.  Hard to argue Casserly and Turner, especially given the history Norv had at the time.  It was a real slow burn with him, and most other owners would’ve let him go long before he was.  

• Like 1