Change is Imminent Mock Offseason

WindyCity

On 12/1/2017 at 12:10 AM, TankWilliams said:

What record is that?  I feel like I'm missing something about his record that people are raving about.  He gets great reviews from his colleagues, no doubt.  But prior to working with Wentz, where he's worked under great offensive minds like Pederson and Reich, he was working in NYJ, Oakland, and in Cleveland.   Not exactly teams that are known for their QB play or showing any sort of development.

I do see a lot of success with Wentz and he did have Carr for his rookie season, and for that I'd consider him for an OC position.  But its succhhhh a stretch for me to think he's ready to take that leap to HC considering how little success he's had.

In his stint as OC with CLE he took a garbage group of QBs (McCown, Manziel, and Davis) and had them put up a 20/12 TD/INT ratio. That is better than any year Jay has ever had, be it in DEN or after. (He had one 21 TD/11 INT season, but that was the best he had). It also beats the hell out of what we have done with Trubisky, who I'm sure we all will agree is more talented than any of 3 he coached in CLE. We lack WR options, but he would have Shaheen, Inman, and Wright doing much better, and it would compliment what SHOULD be a top rushing duo in Howard/Cohen. 

Factor in he did that with a weak running game lead by Crowell. He had Pryor learning the position of WR as he was a failed QB prospect, so his receiving threats were Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge. Pretty crappy group, but Benjamin/Barnidge combined for about 2,000 yards and 14 TDs though.  Without him they never sniffed those numbers at any point in their careers.

As for those teams not being known for QB development, what teams really are? GB had Favre and Rodgers, but you don't see GB coaches going elsewhere and developing stars. Carmichael has been with Brees since 2006 and never been able to land a HC job, Arians coached a wonderful season and we passed on him but look at the mess that their QB play is. McDaniels is often attributed to the bulk of Brady's personal QB development and has had QBs play well when Brady was out but DEN was a train wreck. Are we going to look at Todd Haley? He has been part of QB growth and resurgence, but likely not who we want. CIN went with Palmer who did great for a long time to Dalton, who is nothing amazing but is starter quality. It is hard to quantify teams as being great at developing QBs because there are so few top shelf QBs, and when they get developed they stay in one spot usually until their careers are nearing their twilight.

Defilippo took a raw talent in Carr and set a foundation for him to grow to the MVP caliber player he was last year, he had been given the bulk of credit for Wentz's growth. That is two straight massive projects that he hit home runs with while having one season of getting good QB play from 3 scrubs. I'm not saying it isn't dangerous, that he's the best option, nor am I saying he can't be a solid HC. The fact is QBs rule the NFL, if you have an elite QB you are automatically a threat to win the division and automatically makes you a better head coach. Without Brady Bill never gets call the GOAT of all coaches. Dungy never gets a ring without Manning, McCarthy is a nobody without Rodgers, etc. Anyone who develops Trubisky into a top 10 QB is going to have a chance to steal the NFC North, and if Pace can keep the defense at least average or better they have a legitimate shot at deep playoff runs year in and year out. Rodgers has owned the NFC North forever it seems, but their defense is rarely worth a damn and they have had a lot of issues with injuries, weak OL at numerous spots, etc. If he had a better coach/GM they would be Super Bowl contenders each year. We have a shot to take an above average GM who is getting talent all around and a great QB prospect with a HC that can give Trubisky a scheme to master. If he develops then the coach's job is safe for a decade. IMO.

He's an intriguing name... Derek Carr raved about him and said he's going to be a future head coach.

I don't like that the one year he called plays they ranked 30th in the NFL... and the rest of the time he's been a QB coach.

Quite the jump to make, no?

Asked in the Eagles' forum and got this response from one of their posters:

Yes. 

Honestly, I think if some team is smart they would look at what Pederson and McVay have done with their young QBs and be on the look out for the next former QB that is a great offensive mind to work with their young QB and I think DeFilippo fits that bill perfectly. I've heard some Eagles beat writers talk about him being a possible candidate for the Giants job cause they'll likely be drafting a new QB with their high 1st round pick and the fact he got his NFL coaching career started with the Giants. If we did have to lose him this offseason which I obviously hope doesn't happen, then I'd rather he goes to Chicago, then ends up with a rival.

Some might think he's not ready cause he's a QB coach right now, but he was a Offensive Coordinator in Cleveland before this and did his best with the QBs he had there which weren't great and he also has been given credit as being responsible for Derek Carr's progression as a rookie as his QB coach before coming to the Browns.

I'm not sure he'll have as much success as a Sean McVay initially as I think the Rams had a more talented roster when he got there than the Bears do.

But, I do think if you can surround him with a good staff he can do great things with Trubisky, especially if you go out and get him some weapons like we did with Wentz.

Huge role.

Obviously having other former QBs that have helped coach guys up like Reich and Pederson helped too, but as QB coach DeFilippo worked closest with Wentz and has been given a lot of credit by Wentz and Pederson.

Archived