Change is Imminent Mock Offseason

WindyCity

Really not thrilled with the idea of both Fuller and Prince back. 11 games and 0 combined takeaways. We need better. You’re spending $22M or so in 2018 on a pair corners with a combined 0 interceptions in the last 2 seasons. For that money we can sign the best CB on the market and still likely retain one of our 2 current guys. 

8 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

What record is that?  I feel like I'm missing something about his record that people are raving about.  He gets great reviews from his colleagues, no doubt.  But prior to working with Wentz, where he's worked under great offensive minds like Pederson and Reich, he was working in NYJ, Oakland, and in Cleveland.   Not exactly teams that are known for their QB play or showing any sort of development.

I do see a lot of success with Wentz and he did have Carr for his rookie season, and for that I'd consider him for an OC position.  But its succhhhh a stretch for me to think he's ready to take that leap to HC considering how little success he's had.

That's exactly why I don't understand all the crazy love for him.

What record is that?  I feel like I'm missing something about his record that people are raving about.  He gets great reviews from his colleagues, no doubt.  But prior to working with Wentz, where he's worked under great offensive minds like Pederson and Reich, he was working in NYJ, Oakland, and in Cleveland.   Not exactly teams that are known for their QB play or showing any sort of development.

I do see a lot of success with Wentz and he did have Carr for his rookie season, and for that I'd consider him for an OC position.  But its succhhhh a stretch for me to think he's ready to take that leap to HC considering how little success he's had.

I think most of the top candidates you will be saying the same thing.

Guys, with talent, are getting hired earlier and earlier. Normally McVay would have had to wait, he had called plays for 1 season and only worked under Gruden, but if you wait they get hired by others.

Just so you know I was keeping about regretting Fox and Loggains leaving...

I like this, and have the same MLB concerns as everyone else, however we do have some young guys coming up, and-just like always-you can't fix every problem in one off season. I think this gets us as close as we've ever been-on paper-to being a complete team. 

Just saying, you probably would have said the same things about Sean McVay last off season that you are saying about DeFilippo now.  

I was skeptical at first also, but the more I read about this guy and hear him break down the offense in Philly the more I like him.  Philly owner Jeffrey Lurie did not allow him to leave for and OC opportunity last offseason despite his contract allowing him to.  That speaks volumes to how highly valued of a coach he is for the development of Wentz.

Make no mistake, this next coaching hire will be all about Mitch and getting the best out of him.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Just saying, you probably would have said the same things about Sean McVay last off season that you are saying about DeFilippo now.  

I was skeptical at first also, but the more I read about this guy and hear him break down the offense in Philly the more I like him.  Philly owner Jeffrey Lurie did not allow him to leave for and OC opportunity last offseason despite his contract allowing him to.  That speaks volumes to how highly valued of a coach he is for the development of Wentz.

Make no mistake, this next coaching hire will be all about Mitch and getting the best out of him.

And it has to be. We can't cater to the defense or anything else. 

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Really not thrilled with the idea of both Fuller and Prince back. 11 games and 0 combined takeaways. We need better. You’re spending $22M or so in 2018 on a pair corners with a combined 0 interceptions in the last 2 seasons. For that money we can sign the best CB on the market and still likely retain one of our 2 current guys. 

Bingo... they make zero impact plays.

13 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Bingo... they make zero impact plays.

I get what you guys are saying but CB is not going to be featured in this years offseason plan.  Kuller and Prince are not ideal but still do the job in contrast to other positions on the team like WR.  This offseason is about Mitch not about CBs

6 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

I get what you guys are saying but CB is not going to be featured in this years offseason plan.  Kuller and Prince are not ideal but still do the job in contrast to other positions on the team like WR.  This offseason is about Mitch not about CBs

I want a pass rusher above all, a notch below that is a dynamic WR, then corner.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

While I agree that I think the Sean McVay hire was strange, its clearly not a common occurrence, we can't go into it expecting to get our own McVay out of a guy who has the same level of experience as he did.  Remember, Josh McDaniels was in a similar position careerwise when he was first hired by Denver and that was disastrous.  There is some middle ground between hiring a retread  and hiring a 39 year old guy who has had limited experience.  Although I suppose the latter is sort of what we did with Pace, but he had been affiliated with the Saints organization as a scout and then director of pro personnel for 15 years and held a job with them that whole time.

15 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

While I agree that I think the Sean McVay hire was strange, its clearly not a common occurrence, we can't go into it expecting to get our own McVay out of a guy who has the same level of experience as he did.  Remember, Josh McDaniels was in a similar position careerwise when he was first hired by Denver and that was disastrous.  There is some middle ground between hiring a retread  and hiring a 39 year old guy who has had limited experience.  Although I suppose the latter is sort of what we did with Pace, but he had been affiliated with the Saints organization as a scout and then director of pro personnel for 15 years and held a job with them that whole time.

No we can;t just expect a McVay type of hire and it to be a home run, but at the same time do we just want the organization to continue doing what they've done in the past few years and expect different results?

I mean, they tried going to retread route by hiring an experienced coachwith Super Bowl  experience in John Fox and the results have been bad, and before that they hired a supposed QB whisperer in Trestman who had tons of NFL experience as an OC and that also failed miserably.  Prior to that they hired a pretty inexperienced guy in Lovie Smith who was a hot up and coming coordinator at the time and he has been the best Head Coach they've had since Ditka.  

Sometimes the best hires end up being  the unheralded ones that don't make big headlines or that no one really thinks much of.  Personally, I don't feel the need for the Bears to make a big name splash at Head Coach because it hasn't exactly work out for them in the past.

13 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm sure you want Brandon Marshall back too

a WR who is going to turn 34 in the offseason that has PUBLIC issues and has been on 5 times without reaching the playoffs, or a player who just turned 25 that, while maybe being a bit of a ******, has not created any public perception or anything else that should steer teams away from him, or trade such a talented player so many times in his career.

yep, you're right again. 

similar to windy, we are going to have to get some guys that might have red flags if we want to improve our football team. if landy's is he's a ****** to teammates sometimes, i'll take that, just means he probably wont be a team captain

Archived