Draft Day talk Round 1

warfelg

5 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I dont think the trade up was necessary at all. Khan, imo, panicked and it cost him a 4th. Now sitting here without a 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick.

Havinf said that, JPJ is at the top of the list for me for R2

I dont think I would have traded up if only because I didnt feel anyone at 14 was really worth it, but to say it "wasnt necessary" is very much debatable.   Many people had a major drop off after Jones, which seems true considering the next OT wasnt taken until the mid 20s.   Beyond that, there was alot of rumors the Jets really wanted him, and there is a fair chance some team could have leap frogged us at 17 and got him.

In the end, at least it was only a 4th rd pick, and if they feel he can be the franchise LT for the next decade, it is well worth it.    I strongly believe we will end up trading down at 49.   If guys like Branch and JPJ werent sitting there, I would think they could even trade 32....and there is honestly a chance that could still happen if they feel they can get a DB or two that they like at 49 or 80.

Bottom line....its almost guaranteed they will trade down at some point today and add at least one additional day 3 pick.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont think I would have traded up if only because I didnt feel anyone at 14 was really worth it, but to say it "wasnt necessary" is very much debatable.   Many people had a major drop off after Jones, which seems true considering the next OT wasnt taken until the mid 20s.   Beyond that, there was alot of rumors the Jets really wanted him, and there is a fair chance some team could have leap frogged us at 17 and got him.

In the end, at least it was only a 4th rd pick, and if they feel he can be the franchise LT for the next decade, it is well worth it.    I strongly believe we will end up trading down at 49.   If guys like Branch and JPJ werent sitting there, I would think they could even trade 32....and there is honestly a chance that could still happen if they feel they can get a DB or two that they like at 49 or 80.

Bottom line....its almost guaranteed they will trade down at some point today and add at least one additional day 3 pick.

I agree with all of that tbh. As much as I think it may not have been necessary, i like the selection more than I dislike the tradeup.

I think Broderick may end up being the best LT in this draft.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 43M said:

...and I think it should be at 32, for a few reasons.  The obvious?? It's gonna net us the best pkg. Related to that??  Teams have had time to think, and stew, and drool, about that ONE player they wanted, who is still on the board.  Plus, we're not doing it in a high-pressure situation.  We have time to really analyze, and map out, who we expect to be available when, and who we want to trade with.  Also, we're gonna get more offers...what I mean by that, is that at 49, the other teams' decision makers are less likely to take that chance, because they have their game plan that they are following, and may feel apprehensive to take a chance.  Not sure if I'm coming across with want I really want to say, but regardless, these are just some of the things I'm thinking.

Also, look at this list of guys that are still available?  The first few are obvious, but there are some Late Rd 1 Potential-Value guys, plus guys that have a chance to not make it to 49.  Sure, we may miss out on the JPJ, but his is game and talent really what we need, over say, the fastest player in the draft.  Plus, it seems like DJ Turner is thought of, quite a bit, as being a 'slot only' type, but heck, he's 5' 11 1/4", and weighs 13 pounds more than Forbes...IMO, he's likely more what we want out of a CB than JPJ, because he can play multiple roles, and multiple systems.  Just read a snip-it of his profile from Draft Network, below the list...

Sorry, I'm droning at this point, but trading 32 gives us the best chance to target a specific player, at a point we believe he'll still be available.  Plus, we need a 4th, 5th, and 6th Round pick, all while only trading down a few spots...more likely to happen now...

JPJ

Branch

Simpson

Benton

Cam Smith

Ade Adebawore

Foskey

DJ Turner

Ojulari

Darnell Washington

Avila

JMS

Keion White

Darius Rush

"He combines elite deep speed, oily hips, and quick-and-light feet to mirror and match his assignment. I love the patience and instincts he plays with, especially in man-to-man coverage. Turner has shown the ability to run with nearly every wide receiver he has faced this season. One of the best terms to describe his game is “sticky.” On tape, he is routinely spotted in the hip pocket of opposing receivers. The ability to blanket talented receivers and remain in phase on most reps cannot be undervalued. An ultimate competitor, Turner plays the ball and the receiver’s hands to force pass breakups.

Don’t forget, he is experienced as a zone corner as well. He uses proper drops based on the zone coverage responsibilities. His football IQ is evident as he squeezes routes to eliminate options for the quarterback before making a play on anything threatening his zone. He does a nice job baiting quarterbacks into the throws he wants near his assigned zone. The athleticism and burst to close and drive on routes are impressive. Turner is a willing participant in the run game and tackles well for a cornerback. He does not appear to hesitate or make those back-breaking “business decisions” that hurt his team."

32 minutes ago, 43M said:

Beyond that, there was alot of rumors the Jets really wanted him, and there is a fair chance some team could have leap frogged us at 17 and got him.

It was almost CERTAIN, that he was gone with the Jets pick...look at the evidence...they took forever to make the pick, they were scrambling to likely find a trade partner, and were desparate, but we just put them in the "Artie Burns Zone"...that place GMs find themselves when another team 'snipes' their pick (WJIII), right before they pick, and are left with their next BPA, who was going to be their next pick, in the next Round.  WM4??  At 15??  Sorry, but that was a reach...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I dont think the trade up was necessary at all. Khan, imo, panicked and it cost him a 4th. Now sitting here without a 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick.

Everyone and their mother knew the Jets were taking Broderick before the draft even started, so it was in fact necessary to move ahead of them to take him. 

Gonzales was off their board. Who would you of had them take at 17? Kancey? Banks who went 24? Mazi Smith? Anton Harrison who is a huge drop off from Broderick and went 27? JPJ or Branch who are both still on the board at 32?

It’s been reported for weeks now that Kahn has been making calls about moving up. I think they knew who they wanted and had a plan in place to get him. They were probably willing to give up #80 to get their guy, so only ending up giving up #120 is a huge win. 

Giving up a 4th in a draft we have extra capital in to secure the 2nd best LT prospect in the draft was aggressive, necessary, and calculated imo.

Calling it a “panic” move or “unnecessary” is just wild…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I want DJ Turner today.

Also, from NFLDraftBuzz...

"As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 14 games and logged 620 snaps for the Wolverines. He made 34 tackles, 4 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage he totaled 8 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and an elite QB rating when targetted of just 54.8.

In 2022 as a junior Turner played in 13 games and contributed on 680 snaps. He chalked up 28 tackles, 7 assists, and added 5 stops. In the secondary Turner forced 7 pass breakups, one interception, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 65.5."

And he doesn't turn 23 until mid-season, so fairly young, still...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Everyone and their mother knew the Jets were taking Broderick before the draft even started, so it was in fact necessary to move ahead of them to take him. 

Gonzales was off their board. Who would you of had them take at 17? Kancey? Banks who went 24? Mazi Smith? Anton Harrison who is a huge drop off from Broderick and went 27? JPJ or Branch who are both still on the board at 32?

It’s been reported for weeks now that Kahn has been making calls about moving up. I think they knew who they wanted and had a plan in place to get him. They were probably willing to give up #80 to get their guy, so only ending up giving up #120 is a huge win. 

Giving up a 4th in a draft we have extra capital in to secure the 2nd best LT prospect in the draft was aggressive, necessary, and calculated imo.

Calling it a “panic” move or “unnecessary” is just wild…

I actually dont think that the 'panic' word is a stretch. In retrospect of how the draft played out, Jones made the most sense but my initial comment was before pick 15 was even made. 

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

They were probably willing to give up #80 to get their guy, so only ending up giving up #120 is a huge win. 

We should have had to give them 150 Draft Value Points...we gave them 54...I do really think NE realized we'd be doing them a solid, by keeping the only other Rd 1-value LT left...

Poor Aaron Rodgers...instead of going Anton Harrison, or even Matthew Bergeron, they went with an undersized Edge rusher, lol...WM4 is good, but not 15th overall good, IMO,,,and several other 'talking heads' across the Web this morning.

4 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Also, from NFLDraftBuzz...

"As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 14 games and logged 620 snaps for the Wolverines. He made 34 tackles, 4 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage he totaled 8 pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and an elite QB rating when targetted of just 54.8.

In 2022 as a junior Turner played in 13 games and contributed on 680 snaps. He chalked up 28 tackles, 7 assists, and added 5 stops. In the secondary Turner forced 7 pass breakups, one interception, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 65.5."

And he doesn't turn 23 until mid-season, so fairly young, still...

He can run with any receiver plus he's competitive. 

• Like 1

Just now, armsteeld said:

He can run with any receiver plus he's competitive. 

I'm sorry, but i like him better for us than JPJ, but ah well, I'm just a fan.  If they stay at 32 and take JPJ, it'd hardly be a bad move, just would prefer DJ, is all...

Just now, Ward4HOF said:

I'm sorry, but i like him better for us than JPJ, but ah well, I'm just a fan.  If they stay at 32 and take JPJ, it'd hardly be a bad move, just would prefer DJ, is all...

Nothing wrong with preferring one player vs another. DJ has massive upside. I want him also. I think he's Slot capable.