The Anthony Richardson Era

Warhorse

So....we begin. As Chris Ballard said, it might not be pretty right away. He knows that the ceiling is stupidly high....but it is also likely a longer road than the casual fan hopes to see. For me, I just want it to head in the right direction. It has not for several years.

So let's talk about what is good about this move. Feel free to comment on this, or add your own. 

#1 - This kid is an elite level specimen as a runner....and he did that in the SEC...where there is seriously powerful defenses. That alone will have affects on how how defenses have to play him. Dropping 7 or 8 may quickly become a perilous move when AR can get out of the pocket. 

#2 - This o-line was suppose to be really good. They were really good. Was it Strausser? Was it the Geritol athleticism of Ryan? Was it Kelly's personal tragedy? Was it the injury to J Taylor? Was it not paying for the o-line depth we had and let them leave? Was it all of that? All I know is, this line, is first and foremost...a run the damned ball o-line. If Kelly comes back to his best form, JT returns to his form, and the online gells under a new coach.....watch out. Because now, with JT in the backfield, defenses have to plan for 2 elite runners. Think of what that does for Pitt and Alec. 

#3 - AR can flick the ball in a spiral for 50 yards. I know, strong arms don't mean shat. That said, most of the guys who have touted that in the past and failed....were not all physical specimens....and needed that pocket. We'll see.

I hope that Raimann’s improvement at LT could go a long way to helping improve the OL but I’m going to hold my breathe there until we find out whether Fries/Pinter/other are announced as RG.

Steichen believes that you can coach up accuracy. That will help.

The play action aspect of Richardson and Taylor in the backfield will give the OL other responsibilities and that will take time to adjust to. Especially if they start the season with Minshew at the top of the depth chart. 

• Like 1

I know the NFL has changed a lot in recent years, but IMO, you don't spend a top 5 pick on potential without production and you never spend that pick on a one-year starter with potential but no production.  And a college QB who has a .500 winning record and 1 INT for every 2 TD passes is not a productive QB.

All the talk about his high ceiling, and if he reaches his potential, etc.  I just go back to the 1998 draft...  There was a debate about who should be the first QB drafted.  Manning had the production but Leaf had the higher ceiling and more potential.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, coffeedrinker said:

I know the NFL has changed a lot in recent years, but IMO, you don't spend a top 5 pick on potential without production and you never spend that pick on a one-year starter with potential but no production.  And a college QB who has a .500 winning record and 1 INT for every 2 TD passes is not a productive QB.

All the talk about his high ceiling, and if he reaches his potential, etc.  I just go back to the 1998 draft...  There was a debate about who should be the first QB drafted.  Manning had the production but Leaf had the higher ceiling and more potential.

Leaf led the nation in YPG and had over 30 TDs his last season at WSU, which was a ton back in the day. He didn’t bust because of ability, but because he was a complete head case who couldn’t handle the pressure or deal with the media.

Edited by DanMullen
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DanMullen said:

Leaf led the nation in YPG and had over 30 TDs his last season at WSU, which was a ton back in the day. He didn’t bust because of ability, but because he was a complete head case who couldn’t handle the pressure or deal with the media.

Yes. Leaf and Richardson are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to humility and character. 

• Like 1

https://nfltraderumors.co/afc-notes-c-j-stroud-anthony-richardson-colts-texans-titans/

Ed Dodds, who admitted he was one of the last guys in the front office to buy in on Anthony Richardson, went right to Anthony Richardson and asked him about his accuracy issues. 

“I always just watch games — I’m kind of old school like that — I don’t want to watch all these cut-ups. But we have a cut-up of all the throws he made under pressure, and that’s where you’re like, ‘All right, this dude’s got natural instincts that some of these guys did not.’ The accuracy? I’d say a lot of it’s his feet. I actually asked him about it. I’m like, ‘Hey, what do you think it is? Why when you have so much time, and you have perfect protection, you’ll just miss one? And when you’re under pressure, you have to move up, slide to your left and make the throw, it’s perfect?’ And he’s like, ‘I got all these people in my ear talking about mechanics.’ There’s gurus for everything out there. So, I think that just shows he is accurate and just has to stop thinking about all this ancillary BS. Just play, dude.”

On 5/2/2023 at 9:24 AM, DanMullen said:

A few things.

1.  So?  He had flaws in his game and he was drafted on potential and the assumption of reaching that potential.

2. He did bust because of his ability.  The ability to handle pressure is as important as the ability to accurately throw the ball.

3.  Richardson may be able to handle the media, but can he consistently hit an 8-12 yard out pass?  that is the area Richardson is lacking...the scouting reports that talk about his lack of accuracy is a real issue and if accuracy was an issue that could be fixed with coaching, then it would not be the #1 ability on every coach's list when evaluating QBs

On 5/2/2023 at 9:47 AM, Warhorse said:

Yes. Leaf and Richardson are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to humility and character. 

No doubt.  I personally though, don't think humility is a positive trait for a professional athlete.  It's not a negative either, when it comes to discussing the traits a QB has or doesn't have to be successful, it is a non sequitur.

On 5/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, coffeedrinker said:

No doubt.  I personally though, don't think humility is a positive trait for a professional athlete.  It's not a negative either, when it comes to discussing the traits a QB has or doesn't have to be successful, it is a non sequitur.

I don't think it changes the way an athlete plays, but in my opinion, it can change the way they choose to prepare. Being humble carries little or no overconfidence. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 1:55 PM, Warhorse said:

#1 - This kid is an elite level specimen as a runner....and he did that in the SEC... 

Look up the history of QBs who were great runners and erratic passers in college and how they did in the NFL. It isn't pretty. Colt fans better keep their expectations modest. I think he will drive Colt fans crazy because he'll look like Mahomes one day and Sorgi the next. He will set this team back years before they give up and reboot.

#2 - This o-line was suppose to be really good. 

They were horrific and their GM didn't do jack to fix it. Kind of like last year. He's setting this team up for failure. 

Edited by goblue